Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New envelope filter day 
Author Message
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
Just picked up this sucker. It’s replacing the q tron + on my board for space, power requirements, and sample and hold mode. The q tron isn’t going anywhere but it’s ok o much of a hassle and a bit impractical.

Don’t know if it does a good Jerry or not yet but if it’s even ballpark I’ll be happy. I’m not really trying to sound -exactly- like him anyway and my jam band is once again dead in the water.

Having a trial practice with a post rock project tomorrow and I think the sh mode will be fun to mess around with in that context

Image

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am
Posts: 14165
Location: St. Landry Parish
Interesting; how does sample and hold work on an autowah?

_________________
Whatnow2012 wrote:
try humberck piskup is bettor for metal than singlecpoil for blues


Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast


Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

_________________
Rigs:
Burny RSA65-Dark Matter Anomaly-Hamer USA Californian, Centaura, and Diablo-Warwick Corvette $$
Fryette PowerStation, Peavey 5150 combo, Sound City Master Lead 50, VHT Pittbull Classic, VVT Simo-Plex, Yamaha THR100HD, Taurus THD450


Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
Devin wrote:
Interesting; how does sample and hold work on an autowah?



I guess it randomly triggers the filter in that mode. Sample and hold mode around 3 minutes in


_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am
Posts: 14165
Location: St. Landry Parish
Ahhh it's sorta like a seek wah; that's dope!!

_________________
Whatnow2012 wrote:
try humberck piskup is bettor for metal than singlecpoil for blues


Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast


Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

_________________
Rigs:
Burny RSA65-Dark Matter Anomaly-Hamer USA Californian, Centaura, and Diablo-Warwick Corvette $$
Fryette PowerStation, Peavey 5150 combo, Sound City Master Lead 50, VHT Pittbull Classic, VVT Simo-Plex, Yamaha THR100HD, Taurus THD450


Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 am
Posts: 9020
Location: Sandy Eggo
May the Jerry be with you, SotS! :lol:

_________________
JiveTurkey wrote:
I'M WEARING TAN PANTS AS WE SPEAK


Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13722
I have both.

The q+ IS Jerry.

The spatial sounds good. But not super close to Jerry.

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
itchyfingers wrote:
May the Jerry be with you, SotS! :lol:


:lol:

BroSlinger wrote:
I have both.

The q+ IS Jerry.

The spatial sounds good. But not super close to Jerry.


My biggest gear regret ever is selling my tru tron 3x. THAT pedal was truly something special. I made a a pretty significant profit when I sold it, but was it worth it? Probably not. :cry:

Still had annoying power requirements

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:19 pm
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 19673
Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Congrats and HNPD!!! :party:

That sample and hold feature is fun... in an R2D2 way!

_________________
1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.


Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
Got to spend about 10 minutes with it. The sample and hold mode is fucking awesome. Like beyond awesome, psychedelic playground. I’m going to abuse the fuck out of that setting

Does seem a bit far off from Jerry from a plug and play standpoint. Gotta figure out how the knobs interact with each other as it’s a bit different of a layout than I’m used to for EF. It does seem more modern and synth like and the trigger not as touch sensitive as the q tron, which is a bit of a bummer. I’ll have to Les with it more. But the SH mode alone is worth the price of admission.

Watch me go full rtard and keep two envelope filters on my board :facepalm: :lol:

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
I made a shitty A/B clip, I play that little phrase from FotM 4 times goes q tron - spatial - q tron - spatial with some minor knob tweaking between each

In suck and I’m certainly no Jerry

Eqd is definitely more vow-elly and resonant I guess and more laser been sounding obviously. But I think more than anything the q tron -feels- a bit better and responsive but I think I’m approaching a better spot with the eqd. The sample and hold was the main reason I bought it so if I am able to boot q tron it will be a happy aside

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6v8t9z0nmfa756/EF%20comparison.m4a?dl=0

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm
Posts: 35196
Location: Sliding Hills, CA
The solution is a stereo rig with both.

The EQD was bold and definitely more low end resonant with aggressive quack. The Q was softer singier sweeter.

_________________
EBMM Stingray Tobacco and Tort
Marshall 2555X Jubilee
Marshall 2536 2x12
CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)


Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 pm
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 19673
Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
spawnofthesith wrote:
I made a shitty A/B clip, I play that little phrase from FotM 4 times goes q tron - spatial - q tron - spatial with some minor knob tweaking between each

In suck and I’m certainly no Jerry

Eqd is definitely more vow-elly and resonant I guess and more laser been sounding obviously. But I think more than anything the q tron -feels- a bit better and responsive but I think I’m approaching a better spot with the eqd. The sample and hold was the main reason I bought it so if I am able to boot q tron it will be a happy aside

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6v8t9z0nmfa756/EF%20comparison.m4a?dl=0



That clip makes me want to rock out at the beach!!! :rawk:
ImageImageImageImageImage

_________________
1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.


Last edited by ajaxlepinski on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.



Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:31 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
ajaxlepinski wrote:
spawnofthesith wrote:
I made a shitty A/B clip, I play that little phrase from FotM 4 times goes q tron - spatial - q tron - spatial with some minor knob tweaking between each

In suck and I’m certainly no Jerry

Eqd is definitely more vow-elly and resonant I guess and more laser been sounding obviously. But I think more than anything the q tron -feels- a bit better and responsive but I think I’m approaching a better spot with the eqd. The sample and hold was the main reason I bought it so if I am able to boot q tron it will be a happy aside

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6v8t9z0nmfa756/EF%20comparison.m4a?dl=0



That clip makes me want to rock out at the beach!!! :rawk:
ImageImageImageImage


Turn on, tune in, drop out


_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
Ostinato Rubato wrote:
The solution is a stereo rig with both.

The EQD was bold and definitely more low end resonant with aggressive quack. The Q was softer singier sweeter.



:idea:

I’m not yet convinced I can’t get the eqd closer but time will tell

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 am
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13722
I'm tellin ya, man. The Q+ just nails it. The Mutron dude designed it for Mike Matthews. Good enough for John Mayer = probably good enough for Jerry.

I had owned the Spatial for a while, and figured it was good enough for GD. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it (Remember, I was ONLY going for Jerry tones. nothing else), but it was closer than my TWA Little Dipper and a lot closer than my TWA WR3.

Fast forward. A couple of months later, I saw people were buying up Q+'s because of John Mayer, so I jumped on a new one at $170.
The first note I played on the Q+ without even touching the knobs, I was like, "OMG, that's it!"

I'm still blown away by it.

FWIW, I'm still playing the Spatial for my office rig. This is my little Jerry pedal setup at work:
Image

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
BroSlinger wrote:
I'm tellin ya, man. The Q+ just nails it. The Mutron dude designed it for Mike Matthews. Good enough for John Mayer = probably good enough for Jerry.

I had owned the Spatial for a while, and figured it was good enough for GD. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it (Remember, I was ONLY going for Jerry tones. nothing else), but it was closer than my TWA Little Dipper and a lot closer than my TWA WR3.

Fast forward. A couple of months later, I saw people were buying up Q+'s because of John Mayer, so I jumped on a new one at $170.
The first note I played on the Q+ without even touching the knobs, I was like, "OMG, that's it!"

I'm still blown away by it.

FWIW, I'm still playing the Spatial for my office rig. This is my little Jerry pedal setup at work:
Image



I know I know :lol: I’m casting no aspersions against it besides the stupid power supply. I’m definitely not selling it my qtron or anything. Tbh if I could find a power supply that would safely power it, I’d keep both on my board, using the spatial primarily for seek wah sound. To my knowledge no such PSU exists though.... (my only other non conventional power requirement would be a tap with enough mA for my Avalanche Run)

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 2513
Location: At the beach
spawnofthesith wrote:
BroSlinger wrote:
I'm tellin ya, man. The Q+ just nails it. The Mutron dude designed it for Mike Matthews. Good enough for John Mayer = probably good enough for Jerry.

I had owned the Spatial for a while, and figured it was good enough for GD. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it (Remember, I was ONLY going for Jerry tones. nothing else), but it was closer than my TWA Little Dipper and a lot closer than my TWA WR3.

Fast forward. A couple of months later, I saw people were buying up Q+'s because of John Mayer, so I jumped on a new one at $170.
The first note I played on the Q+ without even touching the knobs, I was like, "OMG, that's it!"

I'm still blown away by it.

FWIW, I'm still playing the Spatial for my office rig. This is my little Jerry pedal setup at work:
Image



I know I know :lol: I’m casting no aspersions against it besides the stupid power supply. I’m definitely not selling it my qtron or anything. Tbh if I could find a power supply that would safely power it, I’d keep both on my board, using the spatial primarily for seek wah sound. To my knowledge no such PSU exists though.... (my only other non conventional power requirement would be a tap with enough mA for my Avalanche Run)


You should both be looking to pick up a Mu-tron micro-tron IV if you're looking for Jerry tone. Mike Beigel designed, 1590B size casing, standard 9v power supply, and now they offer different LEDs in it to mod the sound if so desired. My version 3 sounds better than my qtron+, but the version IV new are cheaper than the 3's used.

And yeah, I still can't believe you sold off the tru-tron.


Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 am
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13722
Dammit. Please, don't inception me. I had convinced myself the Q+ was good enough. Don't make me spend $300 on a micro tron IV

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
I have one sitting in my cart :facepalm:

4 left, only $289 after shipping :cop: :lol:

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 am
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13722
$298.53 after taxes for me. :(

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 2513
Location: At the beach
BroSlinger wrote:
Dammit. Please, don't inception me. I had convinced myself the Q+ was good enough. Don't make me spend $300 on a micro tron IV


The qtron+ is good enough, especially if you put a clean boost or OD in its loop to mimic the gain function that the mu-tron III has...but there's that damn 24 volt power supply on it.

And the microtron is closer, especially if you change the internal dip switch. I've heard clips by guys who own both the mu-tron and the microtron, and they can't really tell the difference.

FWIW, the original version of the qtron can come closer to the mu-tron than the qtron+ if you do a pretty simple mod on it, but the micro-tron is closer still. Can't remember exactly what that mod is, but the info on it is out there.


Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
Just ordered. Third envelope filter inbound :lol:


I probably WILL sell the q tron now... and keep spatial strictly in SH mode :idk;

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 2513
Location: At the beach
spawnofthesith wrote:
Just ordered. Third envelope filter inbound :lol:


I probably WILL sell the q tron now... and keep spatial strictly in SH mode :idk;


Lol, I wonder what happens if you stack them?


Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 7774
Location: Denver, CO
PurpleTrails wrote:
spawnofthesith wrote:
Just ordered. Third envelope filter inbound :lol:


I probably WILL sell the q tron now... and keep spatial strictly in SH mode :idk;


Lol, I wonder what happens if you stack them?


I was stacking the q tron and spatial delivery and the results were.... maybe not as bad as you might think :lol:

_________________
Probably a tele into a fender amp


Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 pm
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13722
I just bought the micro iv.

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajaxlepinski, andvari7, bubbastain, drkorey, duncan, eyeball987, FAKA!, Google Adsense [Bot], greatmutah, Heath, JiveTurkey, LukeBurke1, Marc G, Mike Oxhuge, newholland, RaceU4her, RyanDistortion, sah5150, Snave, spawnofthesith, valtyr, Yarbicus, ZEEGLER and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group