Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
New envelope filter day 
Hall of Fame Member

Just picked up this sucker. It’s replacing the q tron + on my board for space, power requirements, and sample and hold mode. The q tron isn’t going anywhere but it’s ok o much of a hassle and a bit impractical.

Don’t know if it does a good Jerry or not yet but if it’s even ballpark I’ll be happy. I’m not really trying to sound -exactly- like him anyway and my jam band is once again dead in the water.

Having a trial practice with a post rock project tomorrow and I think the sh mode will be fun to mess around with in that context

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am
Crystal Lettucer

Interesting; how does sample and hold work on an autowah?

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
Interesting; how does sample and hold work on an autowah?

I guess it randomly triggers the filter in that mode. Sample and hold mode around 3 minutes in

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Ahhh it's sorta like a seek wah; that's dope!!

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:16 pm
Hall of Fame Member

May the Jerry be with you, SotS! :lol:

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Crystal Lettucer

I have both.

The q+ IS Jerry.

The spatial sounds good. But not super close to Jerry.

My Album For Sale!

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

itchyfingers wrote:
May the Jerry be with you, SotS! :lol:

:lol:

BroSlinger wrote:
I have both.

The q+ IS Jerry.

The spatial sounds good. But not super close to Jerry.

My biggest gear regret ever is selling my tru tron 3x. THAT pedal was truly something special. I made a a pretty significant profit when I sold it, but was it worth it? Probably not. :cry:

Still had annoying power requirements

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:19 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Congrats and HNPD!!! :party:

That sample and hold feature is fun... in an R2D2 way!

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Got to spend about 10 minutes with it. The sample and hold mode is fucking awesome. Like beyond awesome, psychedelic playground. I’m going to abuse the fuck out of that setting

Does seem a bit far off from Jerry from a plug and play standpoint. Gotta figure out how the knobs interact with each other as it’s a bit different of a layout than I’m used to for EF. It does seem more modern and synth like and the trigger not as touch sensitive as the q tron, which is a bit of a bummer. I’ll have to Les with it more. But the SH mode alone is worth the price of admission.

Watch me go full rtard and keep two envelope filters on my board :facepalm: :lol:

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I made a shitty A/B clip, I play that little phrase from FotM 4 times goes q tron - spatial - q tron - spatial with some minor knob tweaking between each

In suck and I’m certainly no Jerry

Eqd is definitely more vow-elly and resonant I guess and more laser been sounding obviously. But I think more than anything the q tron -feels- a bit better and responsive but I think I’m approaching a better spot with the eqd. The sample and hold was the main reason I bought it so if I am able to boot q tron it will be a happy aside

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6v8t9z0nmfa756/EF%20comparison.m4a?dl=0

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Crystal Lettucer

The solution is a stereo rig with both.

The EQD was bold and definitely more low end resonant with aggressive quack. The Q was softer singier sweeter.

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
spawnofthesith wrote:
I made a shitty A/B clip, I play that little phrase from FotM 4 times goes q tron - spatial - q tron - spatial with some minor knob tweaking between each

Eqd is definitely more vow-elly and resonant I guess and more laser been sounding obviously. But I think more than anything the q tron -feels- a bit better and responsive but I think I’m approaching a better spot with the eqd. The sample and hold was the main reason I bought it so if I am able to boot q tron it will be a happy aside

That clip makes me want to rock out at the beach!!! :rawk:
ImageImageImageImageImage

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Last edited by ajaxlepinski on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:31 am
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
spawnofthesith wrote:

That clip makes me want to rock out at the beach!!! :rawk:
ImageImageImageImage

Turn on, tune in, drop out

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 am
Hall of Fame Member

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
The solution is a stereo rig with both.

The EQD was bold and definitely more low end resonant with aggressive quack. The Q was softer singier sweeter.

:idea:

I’m not yet convinced I can’t get the eqd closer but time will tell

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 am
Crystal Lettucer

I'm tellin ya, man. The Q+ just nails it. The Mutron dude designed it for Mike Matthews. Good enough for John Mayer = probably good enough for Jerry.

I had owned the Spatial for a while, and figured it was good enough for GD. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it (Remember, I was ONLY going for Jerry tones. nothing else), but it was closer than my TWA Little Dipper and a lot closer than my TWA WR3.

Fast forward. A couple of months later, I saw people were buying up Q+'s because of John Mayer, so I jumped on a new one at $170.
The first note I played on the Q+ without even touching the knobs, I was like, "OMG, that's it!"

I'm still blown away by it.

FWIW, I'm still playing the Spatial for my office rig. This is my little Jerry pedal setup at work:

My Album For Sale!

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

BroSlinger wrote:
I'm tellin ya, man. The Q+ just nails it. The Mutron dude designed it for Mike Matthews. Good enough for John Mayer = probably good enough for Jerry.

I had owned the Spatial for a while, and figured it was good enough for GD. I wasn't 100% satisfied with it (Remember, I was ONLY going for Jerry tones. nothing else), but it was closer than my TWA Little Dipper and a lot closer than my TWA WR3.

Fast forward. A couple of months later, I saw people were buying up Q+'s because of John Mayer, so I jumped on a new one at $170.
The first note I played on the Q+ without even touching the knobs, I was like, "OMG, that's it!"

FWIW, I'm still playing the Spatial for my office rig. This is my little Jerry pedal setup at work:

I know I know :lol: I’m casting no aspersions against it besides the stupid power supply. I’m definitely not selling it my qtron or anything. Tbh if I could find a power supply that would safely power it, I’d keep both on my board, using the spatial primarily for seek wah sound. To my knowledge no such PSU exists though.... (my only other non conventional power requirement would be a tap with enough mA for my Avalanche Run)

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

spawnofthesith wrote:
BroSlinger wrote:

I know I know :lol: I’m casting no aspersions against it besides the stupid power supply. I’m definitely not selling it my qtron or anything. Tbh if I could find a power supply that would safely power it, I’d keep both on my board, using the spatial primarily for seek wah sound. To my knowledge no such PSU exists though.... (my only other non conventional power requirement would be a tap with enough mA for my Avalanche Run)

You should both be looking to pick up a Mu-tron micro-tron IV if you're looking for Jerry tone. Mike Beigel designed, 1590B size casing, standard 9v power supply, and now they offer different LEDs in it to mod the sound if so desired. My version 3 sounds better than my qtron+, but the version IV new are cheaper than the 3's used.

And yeah, I still can't believe you sold off the tru-tron.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:54 am
Crystal Lettucer

Dammit. Please, don't inception me. I had convinced myself the Q+ was good enough. Don't make me spend $300 on a micro tron IV

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I have one sitting in my cart :facepalm:

4 left, only $289 after shipping :cop: :lol:

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 am
Crystal Lettucer

$298.53 after taxes for me. :(

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

BroSlinger wrote:
Dammit. Please, don't inception me. I had convinced myself the Q+ was good enough. Don't make me spend $300 on a micro tron IV

The qtron+ is good enough, especially if you put a clean boost or OD in its loop to mimic the gain function that the mu-tron III has...but there's that damn 24 volt power supply on it.

And the microtron is closer, especially if you change the internal dip switch. I've heard clips by guys who own both the mu-tron and the microtron, and they can't really tell the difference.

FWIW, the original version of the qtron can come closer to the mu-tron than the qtron+ if you do a pretty simple mod on it, but the micro-tron is closer still. Can't remember exactly what that mod is, but the info on it is out there.

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 am
Hall of Fame Member

Just ordered. Third envelope filter inbound :lol:

I probably WILL sell the q tron now... and keep spatial strictly in SH mode :idk;

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

spawnofthesith wrote:

I probably WILL sell the q tron now... and keep spatial strictly in SH mode :idk;

Lol, I wonder what happens if you stack them?

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 pm
Hall of Fame Member

PurpleTrails wrote:
spawnofthesith wrote:

Lol, I wonder what happens if you stack them?

I was stacking the q tron and spatial delivery and the results were.... maybe not as bad as you might think :lol:

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 pm
Crystal Lettucer

I just bought the micro iv.

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next