Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
4x12 Cabinet Question 
Hall of Fame Member

So I'm going to get my daughter a 4x12 cabinet for her starter rig (we know this shit will come to me if she doesn't stick with the guitar). And my question is, what is there to look for in getting a quality cab?

I currently own an old 90's Randall 4x12 cab with Jaguar speakers and it does great. I've seen where older Krank cabs are good due to construction and whatnot, but I wasn't sure if there was more to it than that. I never went down the speaker rabbit hole, so I don't know how much that matters.

Just thought I'd ask see what y'all thought and recommended.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 am
Crystal Lettucer

What kind of music does she like?
Are you willing to buy used?

Stuff to look for.
Plywood, as opposed to particle board.
normal (full) size, as opposed to compact.
decent speakers, as opposed to crappy entry level speakers.

I kind of like metal grills and carpeting because they are indestructible.

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

avoid the marshall mg cabs.

search CL and post some that you like.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have a Krank 4x12 cab that is about 8-10 years old. It slays- punches you in the gut more so than other cabs.
Most from this time period (if not all) came with Eminence speakers, Heats and/or Legends. Texas Heats will not hold up to modern detuned metal but would sound good for rock/blues. Surprising as a lot of these cabs have a Dimebag picture on it so one might think metal muscle. I guess Dime's razor sharp solid state tone in E worked well with Heats? Did not work for me on anything beyond gritty Zepplein tone (buit that was way cool).

Legends I loved for a long while- it is versatile and can deliver detuned modern metal chugs...but then one day I heard something in the tone and my love turned to hate. It now has k100s and v30s in it so now back to love.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am
Chief Executive Owl

what style of music does she play? 4x12s are not as popular anymore except for some metal/doom/stoner styles etc...

Chances are even if she sticks with guitar she might not want the 4x12 down the road. I'd suggest get her a 2x12 instead...

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Older Peavey 412MS Butcher/VTM cabs are all plywood, solid as hell and the Sheffield speakers they used in them sound good. Some of them even came with G12K100 Celestions in them. Those cabs can be found for $150 pretty easily.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Riffraff wrote:
Older Peavey 412MS Butcher/VTM cabs are all plywood, solid as hell and the Sheffield speakers they used in them sound good. Some of them even came with G12K100 Celestions in them. Those cabs can be found for $150 pretty easily.

The 2x12 version also kicks ass. My absolute favorite cabs of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Riffraff wrote:

love mine. i think it has k85s which are basically the same as k100s.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Hall of Fame Member

BroSlinger wrote:

Stuff to look for.

She's 5.5, so for music she likes pretty much everything at this point, with the exception of S.O.D. (at this point).

I have no issues with buying used and would actually prefer too. I'll take note of the full sized plywood cab, thank you!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:40 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Riffraff wrote:

I will take note of this one, thank you!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
what style of music does she play? 4x12s are not as popular anymore except for some metal/doom/stoner styles etc...

Chances are even if she sticks with guitar she might not want the 4x12 down the road. I'd suggest get her a 2x12 instead...

She doesn't play anything at the moment. She wants a guitar that'll fit her size, because a full sized guitar is way too big for her at the moment. I just figured I'd go with another 4x12 in case she doesn't stick with it and I can use it :D

But you're right that the overall size might not be the best thing where a 2x12 would be better suited. I'll have to keep that in mind, thank you!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Crystal Lettucer

linthat22 wrote:
BroSlinger wrote:

Stuff to look for.

She's 5.5, so for music she likes pretty much everything at this point, with the exception of S.O.D. (at this point).

I have no issues with buying used and would actually prefer too. I'll take note of the full sized plywood cab, thank you!

FWIW,

I've owned 8 4x12's. I'm considering selling my last 2.

They just take up space, and I have a pair of Pacific ported/open 2x12's that sound better to me now.

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Riffraff wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think all of the original Butcher/VTM cabs came with G12K85s. Sheffields came later with 5150 cabs.

I've had two of the Butcher cabs and will attest that they are virtually indestructible and sound fantastic.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Hall of Fame Member

linthat22 wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

She doesn't play anything at the moment. She wants a guitar that'll fit her size, because a full sized guitar is way too big for her at the moment. I just figured I'd go with another 4x12 in case she doesn't stick with it and I can use it :D

But you're right that the overall size might not be the best thing where a 2x12 would be better suited. I'll have to keep that in mind, thank you!

The funny thing is, around here at least used 4X12s are all over the place, but 2X12s are much harder to find and more expensive.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ZEEGLER wrote:
Riffraff wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think all of the original Butcher/VTM cabs came with G12K85s. Sheffields came later with 5150 cabs.

I've had two of the Butcher cabs and will attest that they are virtually indestructible and sound fantastic.

MC cabs = Celestions g12k85
MS cab = Peavey Sheffield

My son has the 412MS and the Sheffields should pretty good but I much prefer the cabs with g12k85s.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Yarbicus wrote:
ZEEGLER wrote:
Riffraff wrote:

My son has the 412MS and the Sheffields should pretty good but I much prefer the cabs with g12k85s.

The MS designation doesn't correlate to the speakers; it's just a slant cabinet model. I had an early 1986 412MS with stock K85's. Straight version is 412M.

They all came with Sheffields around the time the logo switched to silver and piping changed to black.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Hall of Fame Member

What cabs do you like? get something that you can see yourself gigging with and using. Two reasons, your taste in gear isn't shit, and if she doesn't stick with it you have something you'd like.

Also, those Peavey cabs are awesome, but I'd steer clear of em for her because they weigh a metric fuck ton and that may deter her from wanting to use it when she has to lug that big bastard around.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

To OP: Krank 4x12 cabs (the Revolution is most common--the one without Dimebag's face in the corner) are kind of odd. They're solid pine rather than plywood (less percussive, more resonant, lighter), in addition to being front-loaded, oversized and ported. They're loaded with Eminence Legend V12 speakers as someone else pointed out. It's very much a "metal" cab and far from the traditional design.

Good cabs on the cheap include:

Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 with V30s (they have a badge in the corner)
Line6 Spider Valve 412VS with V30s
Peavey 412MS with K85s

Even something like a run-of-the-mill 5150 cab would be fine for your purposes. Sheffield speakers are OK, and the construction quality is good (solid plywood and all that).

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I can vouch for the Blue Voodoo cab. They’re way better built than you would think and if its already equipped with Celestions you’re gold.

TurboPablo wrote:
STOP FAT SHAMING LES PAUL'S. BE MORE INCLUSIVE.

I have a lot of guitars. Let's just put it that way.
Metropoulos Metro-Plex
Egnater Seminar Boutikit 50 Watt Head
Avatar Vintage 2x12 w/ Creamback H75s
Marshall 1960A w/ Greenbacks
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 2x12 Combo
Crate GX-130C
My Band's Music Page: https://www.reverbnation.com/zerobelowphoenix

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:12 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Snave wrote:
Yarbicus wrote:
ZEEGLER wrote:
Riffraff wrote:

The MS designation doesn't correlate to the speakers; it's just a slant cabinet model. I had an early 1986 412MS with stock K85's. Straight version is 412M.

They all came with Sheffields around the time the logo switched to silver and piping changed to black.

I have owned MC and MS cabs (currently my son has the 412MS). Every MC cab had Celestions and every MS cab had Sheffields and they were ALL slant cabs. I have also been told that the S = Stereo but every cab I owned could be run in stereo. :idk:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Regardless this a great time to buy a 412 since no one else wants them.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Snave wrote:
To OP: Krank 4x12 cabs (the Revolution is most common--the one without Dimebag's face in the corner) are kind of odd. They're solid pine rather than plywood (less percussive, more resonant, lighter), in addition to being front-loaded, oversized and ported. They're loaded with Eminence Legend V12 speakers as someone else pointed out. It's very much a "metal" cab and far from the traditional design.

Good cabs on the cheap include:

Crate Blue Voodoo 4x12 with V30s (they have a badge in the corner)
Line6 Spider Valve 412VS with V30s
Peavey 412MS with K85s

Even something like a run-of-the-mill 5150 cab would be fine for your purposes. Sheffield speakers are OK, and the construction quality is good (solid plywood and all that).

Dammit. Now I want a solid pine krank. Sounds like it would be a tone monster.

My Album For Sale!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

linthat22 wrote:
BroSlinger wrote:

Stuff to look for.

She's 5 1/2 years old?!?!

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Jet City cabd are also great. Solid build and loaded with JCA branded Eminence Legends.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Second the Peavey cabs. Dirt cheap (compared to everyone else), built to withstand decades of bar gigging, and the stock speakers aren’t bad. If I didn’t live in an apartment, and if I actually had a need for two more 412s, they’d be Peaveys, unless THD made a 412 slant...

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next