Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Paf Pro, Marshall Guv’nor, PV XXX, 2 sm57s 
Hall of Fame Member

It’s all in the title. I promise this will be the last time I post this track without out vocals. It’s the last one we have to do and he started showing me ideas so it’s only a matter of time. Which meant I needed to work on fine tuning my parts as well. The solo I had was cool, but was a one off “go off” kind of take and was prolly good enough but it felt like there was more to give. So I re-did the solo section.

And I went with the sm57s this go around cause I really felt I wasn’t quite getting the pick “scrape” that this pedal and amp setup gives. Thought maybe they’d help. I STiLL don’t think it came across exactly right but I’m still pretty happy with it!

https://app.box.com/s/jwup47cjtjp017el7bbi7l5zc9rm6q0k

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Last edited by EndTime on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

Absolutely crushing :rawk:

:thu:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Nice, sounds dope AF.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Out of curiosity, how did you have the XXX and the Guv'nor set up? I've never used any pedals in front of my XXX because it has so much gain on it's own that I never thought to slam the front end. With that having been said, the tone you got is so good that it got me thinking maybe I should try boosting mine.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:54 pm
Hall of Fame Member

love this!!!

:beavis: :rawk:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Sounds great!!!! I can hear the PAF Pro high end "chirp" even with this much gain. I love that tone!! I need to put a PAF Pro in one of my guitars ASAP.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
2000 Jackson SL1 Soloist USA
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Randall RD45H
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Fuck yeah, this hits HARD

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm
Hall of Fame Member

MikeO wrote:
Out of curiosity, how did you have the XXX and the Guv'nor set up? I've never used any pedals in front of my XXX because it has so much gain on it's own that I never thought to slam the front end. With that having been said, the tone you got is so good that it got me thinking maybe I should try boosting mine.

Thanks dudes!

Well, again it’s really not about adding gain. I know this sounds super gained out and I’m gonna have to say it’s also a part of how hard a hit the strings. Not trying to be some tough guy here lol, but I’ve heard from more than a handful of guys who either comment on or ask why I hit the strings so hard. It’s just how I do! Cause again I’m using what would be considered a lower or medium output pickup.

And the guvnor isn’t really slamming either. The vol on max with this pedal actually seems below unity gain as it works with the gain/distortion knob. So I honestly run it to where I find the vol of the pedal is pretty much the same on or off. But the pedal itself is compressing and tightening the tone some. So yeah it’s just changing the gain character and allows what I fee is more use from the EQ controls of the amp.

The mids on the XXX is kinda too much by nature. And very boxy sounding. I once saw Gary Holt mention that anything above say 9 o’clock on the mid control is too much. And I always ran it higher as well. And so I went and listened to the mids below 9 o’clock and I DID hear what he was saying! Now you don’t have to run em that low of course, but that is pretty much the breaking point of this cardboard sound that I had become accustomed to! But when you scoop em that low with no boost it can also just not be the right balance. So the boost adds In some cut for the mids, the low end is tightened so now you can goose up the bass a touch and the highs are generally dialed back.

So my setting would be on the Guv gain-9 o’clock, all eq settings on noon except treble dipped a bit. Vol - maxes
The amp I have resonance control on loose, Treb-11 oclock(maybe a touch below), Mid-9 o’clock, bass 1 o’clock, gain between 9-10 o’clock. Master volume dimes and channel volume was like 10 o’clock. On crunch channel

I did do the lead with the ultra which is bassier and fatter mids. So bass is a hair below noon. Mids maybe 10 o’clock and treble still about 11 and gain at 10 o’clock. Same pedal settings

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:39 pm
Hall of Fame Member

For a tubescreamer try the Sneap settings (at least that where I saw this)
Instead of dime the vol and zero gain. Actually set vol at noon, gain at 9 o’clock and tone at 11 o’clock. This is the settings I was using with the xxx before I found the right feel with the guvnor, but in essence I tried to dial it in similar to how what that tubescreamer was doing. I just prefer the little “extra” from the guvnor. But both are good

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
Chief Executive Owl

EndTime wrote:
Instead of dime the vol and zero gain. Actually set vol at noon, gain at 9 o’clock and tone at 11 o’clock. This is the settings I was using with the xxx before I found the right feel with the guvnor, but in essence I tried to dial it in similar to how what that tubescreamer was doing. I just prefer the little “extra” from the guvnor. But both are good

I did not know these were the Sneap settings but that's how I've always ran my boosts.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
2000 Jackson SL1 Soloist USA
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Randall RD45H
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
EndTime wrote:

I did not know these were the Sneap settings but that's how I've always ran my boosts.

I’m not a 100% on that but pretty sure I saw 5150 settings attributed to him and that was the TS settings.
Again with those settings it’s not really adding a ton of gain, but there is compression which adds a more saturated sound and while it tightens it doesn’t do TOO much. Just enough to utilize the amps EQ a little better I’d say. Same deal I’m getting with the guvnor, but it gets a little more pick attack/slice which sounds pretty killer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
Well, again it’s really not about adding gain. I know this sounds super gained out and I’m gonna have to say it’s also a part of how hard a hit the strings. Not trying to be some tough guy here lol, but I’ve heard from more than a handful of guys who either comment on or ask why I hit the strings so hard. It’s just how I do! Cause again I’m using what would be considered a lower or medium output pickup.

And the guvnor isn’t really slamming either. The vol on max with this pedal actually seems below unity gain as it works with the gain/distortion knob. So I honestly run it to where I find the vol of the pedal is pretty much the same on or off. But the pedal itself is compressing and tightening the tone some. So yeah it’s just changing the gain character and allows what I fee is more use from the EQ controls of the amp.

The mids on the XXX is kinda too much by nature. And very boxy sounding. I once saw Gary Holt mention that anything above say 9 o’clock on the mid control is too much. And I always ran it higher as well. And so I went and listened to the mids below 9 o’clock and I DID hear what he was saying! Now you don’t have to run em that low of course, but that is pretty much the breaking point of this cardboard sound that I had become accustomed to! But when you scoop em that low with no boost it can also just not be the right balance. So the boost adds In some cut for the mids, the low end is tightened so now you can goose up the bass a touch and the highs are generally dialed back.

So my setting would be on the Guv gain-9 o’clock, all eq settings on noon except treble dipped a bit. Vol - maxes
The amp I have resonance control on loose, Treb-11 oclock(maybe a touch below), Mid-9 o’clock, bass 1 o’clock, gain between 9-10 o’clock. Master volume dimes and channel volume was like 10 o’clock. On crunch channel

I did do the lead with the ultra which is bassier and fatter mids. So bass is a hair below noon. Mids maybe 10 o’clock and treble still about 11 and gain at 10 o’clock. Same pedal settings

Thanks for the thorough rundown, I appreciate you taking the time.

I agree with Gary Holt about the mids, I have the mids around 9:00 on both the Crunch and Ultra channels on mine. I keep the mids on the Crunch channel just a hair above 9:00, and I keep them just a hair below 9:00 on the Ultra channel. The fact that the Ultra channel is voiced to be low mid heavy (as opposed to the Crunch channel's voicing that has more upper mids) means that it can get muddy real quick if the mids are too high.

Gonna have to experiment with some boost pedals and my XXX the next time I have an off day and see how close I can get to the tones you are getting. :thu:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Crystal Lettucer

That was killer man :rawk:

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Yeah, man...this is a gnarly tone. Sounds awesome.

Guiterrorist
Pakistani Right Hand of Doom
Pesobag

Good Deals: http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Devin and Raf!

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Nothing but win here! I love the XXX sound, T75s are godly when pushed properly, and the PAF Pro adds even more mid grind and harmonics to the equation. Great clip :rawk:

Cole

Hughes & Kettner Duotone, Puretone, TriAmp MKII
Laney IRT120H
Peters Halo/Hydra
Rivera Knucklehead 100, Knucklehead Tré, M100
VHT Pittbull 100/CL

Cabs
Budda 4x12 (Jensen Nighthawk)
Hughes & Kettner CC412 (Vintage 30)
Hughes & Kettner CC412 (UK Greenback)
Rivera K412T (Jensen Electric Lighnting)
Sour Mash 1936 (Eminence Legend V12)
Splawn 2x12 (Eminence CV-75)
Splawn 2x12 (Fane Medusa 100)
Splawn 2x12 (UK G12T-75)
VHT FatBottom 2x12 (P50E)

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:31 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Hey EndTime, thanks for the tips on dialing in the XXX. Cutting back on the mids helps a ton.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:54 pm
Hall of Fame Member

colejustesen wrote:
Nothing but win here! I love the XXX sound, T75s are godly when pushed properly, and the PAF Pro adds even more mid grind and harmonics to the equation. Great clip :rawk:

Cole

Well that’s all pretty accurate! HaHa

thanks
maggotspawn wrote:
Hey EndTime, thanks for the tips on dialing in the XXX. Cutting back on the mids helps a ton.
no problem man. Yeah I used to run my bass quite a bit higher to kinda balance the mids but when I a/b’d higher bass and higher mids vs keeping em at 9 o’clock and below there was a much smoother chunkier sound without that harder “cardboard” mids with them set lower. So that’s how I’ve been running it this go around

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Clip sounds killer. Proper grind. I've wanted a Guv'nor for so long. I still regret not grabbing one when they first came out. I have read the Wilson version is pretty great.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm
Hall of Fame Member

TurboPablo wrote:
Clip sounds killer. Proper grind. I've wanted a Guv'nor for so long. I still regret not grabbing one when they first came out. I have read the Wilson version is pretty great.

Thanks. Yeah it’s a great pedal. As a boost or just a standalone old school Marshall in a box. It still might be the best at that. It sounds super legit. I don’t quite have the amps that sound great with it as a stand-alone distortion but I’ve run this into more suitable amp sims and it feels and sounds like an old Marshall. As a boost it’s super effective as well

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am
Crystal Lettucer

EndTime wrote:
TurboPablo wrote:

Thanks. Yeah it’s a great pedal. As a boost or just a standalone old school Marshall in a box. It still might be the best at that. It sounds super legit. I don’t quite have the amps that sound great with it as a stand-alone distortion but I’ve run this into more suitable amp sims and it feels and sounds like an old Marshall. As a boost it’s super effective as well

It really is a killer MIAB. I want one to run in front of my 800. I figure it'll be almost like adding another channel too it.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
no problem man. Yeah I used to run my bass quite a bit higher to kinda balance the mids but when I a/b’d higher bass and higher mids vs keeping em at 9 o’clock and below there was a much smoother chunkier sound without that harder “cardboard” mids with them set lower. So that’s how I’ve been running it this go around

sounds good, man!

i read that Gary Holt pretty much turned the mids really low and used a Presonus parametric EQ to dial them back in. i bought one and did the same and it worked great - kinda miss my XXX :(

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:34 am
Hall of Fame Member

Agreed! This sounds great.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am
Hall of Fame Member

Landshark wrote:
EndTime wrote:

sounds good, man!

i read that Gary Holt pretty much turned the mids really low and used a Presonus parametric EQ to dial them back in. i bought one and did the same and it worked great - kinda miss my XXX :(

Yeah I’ve seen some of his supposed pics of his live tone settings but I’m not sure I buy into it totally. Mids On zero is pretty much unusable. I’d guess he’s a shade below 9 o’clock maybe down to 8, but anything below that completely pulls a HUgE portion of mids out. Like the whole tone is gone. I did find the presonus eq3b for $45 so I took a shot and I was able to get some good things with it. But In the end the Guvnor is the best boost I’ve tried with it. I think the eq3b is best for that tone where he really hit it hard and created a very cocked wah sound. I think it was the Exhibit A album. Unique tone but I couldn’t play with a tone that boosted of a narrow frequency

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

Gdrock33 wrote:
Agreed! This sounds great.

And I agree you’re a great guy!

Haha

Thanks man

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next