Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
So I've got one of the new Celestions coming in today 
Crystal Lettucer

The F12-X200, to be precise. Basically a coax speaker design that can be used in a traditional guitar cab while feeding it impulse responses/cabinet emulation from your modeler/poweramp rig.
In layman's terms; it gives you the guitar cab "feel" while being relatively full range and flat. I can send the trumpets, acoustic stuff and synth to it as well and it should do marginally better than my t75 loaded 2x12. Theoretically, at least. We'll see how it shakes out in reality :cop: :D

I picked up a used Vypyr 112 cab on Sunday and it is prepped and ready for the transplant. Celestion has their own cab design but I am not that invested in it. Just wanted to try it and had some extra reverb bucks that made it an easy purchase to pull the trigger on :love:
https://celestion.com/product/200/f12x200/

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 am
clipless

I didn't see anything like a normal coaxial speaker in that pic - so I had to read up on it.
Celestion says it has a compression driver for the high frequencies - is it mounted in the center of the voice coil, behind the center cone??
not quite sure how this is laid out - but it sounds different than anything else I have heard of.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

Im down a bit of a speaker rabbit hole myself. Hope this works out for you, JT!

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:00 am
Crystal Lettucer

clipless bumper wrote:
I didn't see anything like a normal coaxial speaker in that pic - so I had to read up on it.
Celestion says it has a compression driver for the high frequencies - is it mounted in the center of the voice coil, behind the center cone??
not quite sure how this is laid out - but it sounds different than anything else I have heard of.

I could be incorrect in my coaxial statement; but the marketing blurb (those are always 100% factual obviously :cop: ) says the following

"The F12-X200 achieves its full-range 60Hz–20kHz frequency response via a compression driver that's been integrated with the main driver using a high-quality crossover circuit. Despite its full frequency response, the F12-X200 employs a lighter moving mass and straighter-sided cone to give you the deep-seated feel and live response of a traditional guitar speaker."

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am
Crystal Lettucer

You sure are spending a lot of time and money avoiding tubes.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm
Hall of Fame Member

lol^

Intriguing on paper, interested to see how people react to this

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 pm
Crystal Lettucer

TurboPablo wrote:

:lol:
crankyrayhanky wrote:
lol^

Intriguing on paper, interested to see how people react to this

I've read some conflicting reports. Some people dig it, some people weren't feeling it. Like everything else I guess. I'll report back once I get it installed. I just realized it was a signature delivery and I put a hold on it. Hopefully I won't have to wait till tomorrow to get it but we'll see.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Some part of my brain is just noping out on this.

Guitar speaker for guitar
PA Speaker for full response
Full response speaker for guitar cab that's not real guitar to play kazoo, trumpet, organ sounds produced by guitar because want keytar but is no longer cool

:freak:

Nope. Does not compute.

Why not bass cab with acoustic mapz to upward mobilitate yer freak flag?

Love ya, bro, but nope.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
Crystal Lettucer

I can't say as I disagree with you NFA :D

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Hall of Fame Member

So JT how are those speakers? I was actually thinking of doing the same thing and throw it into a 1x12 I got sitting around. Since its full range I wonder if it would sound good plugged into a bass head too?

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 am
Crystal Lettucer

FAKA! wrote:
So JT how are those speakers? I was actually thinking of doing the same thing and throw it into a 1x12 I got sitting around. Since its full range I wonder if it would sound good plugged into a bass head too?

Bunch of caveats should be expected FAKA. Because it's me and I tend to do stupid sh!t.

I don't have it in the manufacturer designed cabinet. And maybe I got lucky picking a workable cab that doesn't interfere with the speaker? But it sounds great. I have had 2 separate sessions with. Ran all my synth stuff through it as well as guitar. The synths, trumpets and (the most difficult of all) acoustic tones sound STELLAR through it. Just clear as a bell with no weird tonal coloration that you get when you do dumb sh!t like play a fake saxaphone through a 212 :cop:

I am only running the modeling available from my SY300 through it for now. Very primitive but general Boss 2010s era modeling tones. And it sounds phenomenal. Not a lot of control in this signal chain on the Boss end as it is a really simple implementation. So there's that.

What I am going to do over the next few days is borrow my guitarist's AX8 and run some better amp and speaker emulation through it and see how it does. Theoretically; the cabinet should be able to cop a number of different 112 tones using different IRs. If the Boss sounds as good as it does; I can only imagine what the Fractal level modeling is going to sound like.

Next week; I'll be taking it to practice and seeing how it does up loud. It sounds and just as importantly FEELS great at loud volumes at home. I can't imagine there would be a problem in the jam room/live setting but we will see and I will report back. So far; very happy with my purchase.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks dude. I saw a post today that the Kemper kone speaker was $169. No idea if its true or what but if it actually comes out I may try that one first. Though in the back of my head i'm thinking they are probably the same fking speaker except the Kemper one is green lol.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:49 am
Crystal Lettucer

FAKA! wrote:
Thanks dude. I saw a post today that the Kemper kone speaker was $169. No idea if its true or what but if it actually comes out I may try that one first. Though in the back of my head i'm thinking they are probably the same fking speaker except the Kemper one is green lol.

From what I have read elsewhere; it looks to be a rebrand of the Celestion K12H-200TC. Pretty flat but I honestly haven't heard much beyond that.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29840045/

I think the Kone will be great for Kemper users as they can take advantage of the speaker imprints the Kemper will use sometime soon (hopefully). I think using the Kemper Kab or even just grabbing one of their drivers and putting it in whatever speaker and then running it with any old modeler won't necessarily be the right way to go, though. It's all sort of speculation I guess till you get it in your possession and see how it does. The cab for $450ish is a great price, imo. I would definitely get one if I was sticking with Kemper and didn't want to use powered wedges but also didn't want to just stick with one regular guitar cab.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:02 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
FAKA! wrote:

From what I have read elsewhere; it looks to be a rebrand of the Celestion K12H-200TC. Pretty flat but I honestly haven't heard much beyond that.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29840045/

I think the Kone will be great for Kemper users as they can take advantage of the speaker imprints the Kemper will use sometime soon (hopefully). I think using the Kemper Kab or even just grabbing one of their drivers and putting it in whatever speaker and then running it with any old modeler won't necessarily be the right way to go, though. It's all sort of speculation I guess till you get it in your possession and see how it does. The cab for $450ish is a great price, imo. I would definitely get one if I was sticking with Kemper and didn't want to use powered wedges but also didn't want to just stick with one regular guitar cab.

I'm pretty sure its the same but I may wait n see. So if all goes according to Kemper's pace I'll be like 83 yrs old by the time the Kone comes out :lol:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:35 pm
Chief Executive Owl

TurboPablo wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Executive Owl

JiveTurkey wrote:
FAKA! wrote:

Bunch of caveats should be expected FAKA. Because it's me and I tend to do stupid sh!t.

I don't have it in the manufacturer designed cabinet. And maybe I got lucky picking a workable cab that doesn't interfere with the speaker? But it sounds great. I have had 2 separate sessions with. Ran all my synth stuff through it as well as guitar. The synths, trumpets and (the most difficult of all) acoustic tones sound STELLAR through it. Just clear as a bell with no weird tonal coloration that you get when you do dumb sh!t like play a fake saxaphone through a 212 :cop:

I am only running the modeling available from my SY300 through it for now. Very primitive but general Boss 2010s era modeling tones. And it sounds phenomenal. Not a lot of control in this signal chain on the Boss end as it is a really simple implementation. So there's that.

What I am going to do over the next few days is borrow my guitarist's AX8 and run some better amp and speaker emulation through it and see how it does. Theoretically; the cabinet should be able to cop a number of different 112 tones using different IRs. If the Boss sounds as good as it does; I can only imagine what the Fractal level modeling is going to sound like.

Next week; I'll be taking it to practice and seeing how it does up loud. It sounds and just as importantly FEELS great at loud volumes at home. I can't imagine there would be a problem in the jam room/live setting but we will see and I will report back. So far; very happy with my purchase.

I'm interested in this speaker more as a possible 1x12 set up for my synth. I think it would work well with a clean power amp.

I have my QSCs and mixer but they're downstairs at the practice space (I moved my recording studio to a bedroom upstairs recently) so it would be good to have something to play the keys in my studio without having to connect it to my audio interface.

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Well shit... looks like the Kemper Kone is different looking after all...

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]