Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
New Line 6 Helix LT! 
Hall of Fame Member

Hi everyone, I received my new Helix LT the other day. Such a cool piece of gear!

I do have a question. I also got a pair of Kali Audio LP6 studio monitors, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones. I'm running out of the Helix via xlr into the Scarlett. I have both the monitors and the headphones connected to the Scarlett. Why would the sound coming out of the monitors sound different than the sound coming out of the headphones? The tone in the headphones seems to have more amp gain than the monitors.

***1776*** wrote:
BTW Your a ampwhore and finniky, to hear you liking the amp is a good thing :lol:

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Could the headphones be coloring the tone?

I don’t have an answer, though I’ve often struggled with my helix tone through my Scarlett being quieter than computer tone/chimes that are windows alerts

Enjoy the helix!

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:43 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Could be color from whatever little amp circuit they have in the scarlet for headphones.

Guitars:
Offset Les Paul
Telebird
Jazzmaster Deluxe
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

Amplification:
VHT/Fryette Pittbull 50/CL

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:32 am
Chief Executive Owl

Headphones definitely color the the sound. I have 4 pairs of different models/brands and they all sound radically different from each other and from my monitors.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks guys for the replies! Do you think open back headphones would work better for this?

***1776*** wrote:
BTW Your a ampwhore and finniky, to hear you liking the amp is a good thing :lol:

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am
Chief Executive Owl

Take it to store and try different models if you're picky about them, every brand/model is different.

Or! Just don't worry about it. They're just headphones for practice anyway :idk:

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
Take it to store and try different models if you're picky about them, every brand/model is different.

Or! Just don't worry about it. They're just headphones for practice anyway :idk:

Yeah that's true. I'd like to eventually use them for recording/tracking in a DAW also.

***1776*** wrote:

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am
Hall of Fame Member

THe last set of speakers before your ears are the final stage of EQ. (along with room).

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

For the record, none of my helix patches sound good through headphones so I don’t even bother. If you want to use headphones, I feel like you need separate patches just for that purpose

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:08 am
Crystal Lettucer

Schweezly wrote:
For the record, none of my helix patches sound good through headphones so I don’t even bother. If you want to use headphones, I feel like you need separate patches just for that purpose

Yes. This is like modeling facts 101 type sh!t. The same presets sound different through different playback systems.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 am
Hall of Fame Member

i used to use headphones and yeah it sounded bad but its just practice so i wasn't sweating it. then i found i could play without headphones quiet enough that no one upstairs heard me.

congrats on the LT, i really love mine.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

Headphones do affect the tone of your patches. I don't really worry about it since like others have said, it's just for practice. I don't do any high quality recordings at home, just song ideas and rough demos. I also don't typically practice with headphones on, so I just got a basic pair of studio reference headphones.

The best sound I've gotten out of the Helix LT at home is running the stereo 1/4" outputs directly into my desktop studio monitors. I still have yet to try and record the Helix LT, but I've gotten it to sound good through my Focusrite Scarlett DAW. It just took a bit of tweaking to get all the levels right. Since I don't record a whole lot or use my desktop computer much, it's easier for me to run the Helix direct to the monitors and not have to turn on my PC every time I want to jam for a bit.

I still need to dive into 3rd party IR's. I've heard that it makes a world of difference in tone and feel compared to the stock Line 6 IR profiles.

2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Fralin P-90 pickups)
2017 Balaguer GAB Scumden (SD PG pickups)
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster (GFS Surf 90 pickups)
2019 Fender Active Deluxe Precision Bass Special (stock pickups)

Loud Makers:
Jet City JCA50H head amp
Jet City USA Custom JCA48C 4x12 (V30s)

Stompy Things:
Lots o' pedals
Line 6 Helix LT

THE VELOSTACKS

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Thank guys! I wasn't completely sure and thought that what I'm hearing through the headphones should be the same as what I'm hearing through the monitors. I wasn't sure if I should have gone with different headphones.

***1776*** wrote:

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]