Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
the Realest 6505 recording Ive got?? 
Hall of Fame Member

Maybe... I mean I think so now.. And its totally in its infancy stage as I haven't even tried to record it with Drums, let alone a multi track mix. But like many, while I know a 57 works great and sits nice in a mix much of the time, there is a part of the tone I don't like. The 57 is ALWAYS a part of your recorded sound.. Its never not imparting some of its flavor. So Ive been using the Sennheiser md421 along with the 57 for awhile now and its also great.. BUT you still "hear" the mics... And in reality you ALWAYS will.. But Im always looking for a way to truly capture my amp as I hear it.. And one of the albums thats considered an engineering feat in Rock is Back in Black.. Great sounding album. Guitars sound REAL to me.. And I forget the specifics, but I know it was not dynamic mics but a Neumann 47 or 87.. Maybe a 67.. I forget, but I know it was condensers! And I want to capture that realism! I have an AKG c414 XLS.. Very good, neutral condenser..Also very good on cabs.. Ive tried it in the past but I didn't find what I was looking for. And generally I like it paired with something else.. And of course all I tried until yesterday was the 57..Those 2 together generally sound like a SUPER 57!

blblabl I tried it with the Sennheiser 421 and I felt like I was on to something.. So I just recorded some bullshit and that bullshit happened to be some Van Halen Riffs.. And yes, I even thru in Unchained which is awesome of course, but I sorta cringe when I hear it played by guitar nerds.. lol.. But its in there.. I had my heavy Ash straw with the Frankenstein pickup and it is the build I wanted to emulate that old guitar of his so it just felt right to play VH..

Lastly, this is actually the GREEN channel boosted with an SD1...Im not trying to cop VH tone, Im just playing those riffs in Drop D. And quite loose and sloppy.. I casually know my VH riffs.. I play em like my mind hears em... But yeah,,,, if I had to show a clip of what I feel is the most representative of my tone.. IN the room, or simply how I hear it.. This is the closest I've gotten

https://app.box.com/s/gpjcmndal97pwba55r9ys3g7wdv5gx3x

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am
Crystal Lettucer

It does have that in-the-room immediacy to it. I hope you do more recordings with this mic.

TurboPablo wrote:
Scribble strips are for kids.

NinjaRaf wrote:
Also, throw that torpedo in the garbage and go back to using mics.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Yeah that was excellent.

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dick Butter Nuts wrote:
It does have that in-the-room immediacy to it. I hope you do more recordings with this mic.

I’m definitely gonna keep working with it. And I shouldn’t say how it sounds in the room. I mean, yeah I feel it’s more of a proper representation. But it’s still close mic’d. It just seems to not add a whole hell of a lot. The 421 is still
Mixed in. But they seem to compliment each other better than he 57 did with the 414. I actually think I was at 50/50 mix here
Ostinato Rubato wrote:
Yeah that was excellent.
sweet. Thanks Rubato!

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Crystal Lettucer

EndTime wrote:
Dick Butter Nuts wrote:

I’m definitely gonna keep working with it. And I shouldn’t say how it sounds in the room. I mean, yeah I feel it’s more of a proper representation. But it’s still close mic’d. It just seems to not add a whole hell of a lot. The 421 is still
Mixed in. But they seem to compliment each other better than he 57 did with the 414. I actually think I was at 50/50 mix here
Ostinato Rubato wrote:
Yeah that was excellent.
sweet. Thanks Rubato!

I've never tried a 421 but when recording with IRs I usually mix in an Ownhammer that was done with a 421.

In a month or so I'm going to update my dungeon cam setup with a new Tascam recorder and a Golden Age Project R1 MKii ribbon mic. No personal experience with that mic either but I've heard some good close mic'd clips done with it.

TurboPablo wrote:
Scribble strips are for kids.

NinjaRaf wrote:
Also, throw that torpedo in the garbage and go back to using mics.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
I've always thought that most mics have a bit of that "blanked over the speaker" quality... especially the 57.
For years, I've compensated by either recording with, or mixing with a BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer or, an Aphex EX-BB 500 Series Aural Exciter.
(Now that I'm digital, I also have the BBE Sonic Maximizer and Harmonic Maximizer plugins)
These fx liven up the tone and help remove the blanket from the cabinet.

Your recording sounds like you've accomplished the same thing with two mics! Amazing!!! :bow:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:45 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Dick Butter Nuts wrote:
EndTime wrote:
Dick Butter Nuts wrote:

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
Yeah that was excellent.
sweet. Thanks Rubato!

I've never tried a 421 but when recording with IRs I usually mix in an Ownhammer that was done with a 421.

In a month or so I'm going to update my dungeon cam setup with a new Tascam recorder and a Golden Age Project R1 MKii ribbon mic. No personal experience with that mic either but I've heard some good close mic'd clips done with it.

Yes! I love 421based IRs. Marked for later :love:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Dick Butter Nuts wrote:
EndTime wrote:
Dick Butter Nuts wrote:

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
Yeah that was excellent.
sweet. Thanks Rubato!

Yeah I’ve seen some of those Golden Age mics. Look cool. A good ribbon would definitely be a good mic on cabs. A poor ribbon can be a let down. Lol. Hopefully it’s good!

As far as the 421, I love that mic. But besides drums I haven’t found it to be quite right when by itself. But combined with others especially a 57, they seemingly combine to add and improve to each other’s qualities. Cause they have a fair bit different EQ curve. Even if you listen to them a/b they share some sort of similarity too. Hard to explain what I mean, but yeah. The 421 is a great companion mic to just about everything because it scoops out the low mids while having a pretty big low end. And the high mids are smooth but more present as well. Especially in the 4-5khz area. Which, for me, is a frequency on guitar tones that can grate my ears and make a tone sound too thin. And when using the mic by itself i have to be aware of the frequency with mic position or simply EQ it down a bit in post. But combined with the 57, those frequencies just seem to add a good thing to the mix

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]