Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Incoming new preamp 
Chief Executive Owl

Just bought this:

I've been wanting to try one out for a while. I like Tech 21 gear and I've heard great things about it. The plan is to put together a small 3u rack with this and the G-system for a super portable DI rig.

Does anyone have experience using the PSA live and/or in the studio?

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

never seen one but tech21 is one of those companies you can usually trust will be good

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:54 am
Hall of Fame Member

My bassist used this in the studio with me a bit. Definitely pretty good. Never tried it with guitar

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I had an original PSA-1 many years ago, and I remember it was a very cool preamp. I think my only complaint was the lack of a mid control. Sometimes I think about grabbing one cheap, and running it with a MIDI programmable EQ.

Kinda related, I recently picked up a Behringer TM300, which is a cheapo clone of the Tech 21 GT2. It has been a lot of fun to play with, and definitely bringing back some memories of the Tech 21 gear I used years ago.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Yeah if I understand correctly lowering the low/high brings up the mids. But I will have an EQ I'm the G+System anyway.

Speaking of Tech 21, I finally sat down with the Flyrig for a few hours today and dialed it in. It sounds great now, to the point I could use it as my main tone.

Tech 21 gear have really sensitive EQ. They are different than the usual amp EQ and have a learning curve but they're extremely versatile.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
Yeah if I understand correctly lowering the low/high brings up the mids. But I will have an EQ I'm the G+System anyway.

Speaking of Tech 21, I finally sat down with the Flyrig for a few hours today and dialed it in. It sounds great now, to the point I could use it as my main tone.

Tech 21 gear have really sensitive EQ. They are different than the usual amp EQ and have a learning curve but they're extremely versatile.

I can absolutely agree with that.... my leeds pedal is kinda OTT in how touchy it can be.. makes it super flexible, but i need a box to put it in so it never gets touched :lol: i stopped using it if i carry it with me in my road case.. too fussy!

that said... man can it go a whole lotta ways.

psyched to hear how this thing works out- i really do like tech21 stuff, and the company rules as well!

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 am
Crystal Lettucer

Sweet! Like NH; always dig Tech 21 stuff. Very interested to hear what you think once you get it Bill.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:43 am
Chief Executive Owl

newholland wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

I can absolutely agree with that.... my leeds pedal is kinda OTT in how touchy it can be.. makes it super flexible, but i need a box to put it in so it never gets touched :lol: i stopped using it if i carry it with me in my road case.. too fussy!

psyched to hear how this thing works out- i really do like tech21 stuff, and the company rules as well!

Can't you just tape over the knobs once you find a setting you like? That's what I'm going to do with the flyrig.

The PSA1.1 is programmable so the settings will be stored in the memory, which makes things easier.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
newholland wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

Can't you just tape over the knobs once you find a setting you like? That's what I'm going to do with the flyrig.

The PSA1.1 is programmable so the settings will be stored in the memory, which makes things easier.

oh totally- sure! i mean.. it's a cool overdrive, and i can do similar things with a buncha stuff too-- so i just use dopey 3 knobbers for bringing out... if i'm at home, i'll just leave it on the floor or on my desk directly into my interface! i could probably also get those sticky lock doodads for the knobs as well if i REALLY wanted to-- so there's no shortage of ways around it if it were supa-critical- but i just like the derp solutions i can't get too far outa whack with for live stuff :lol: last thing i wanna do is dial too much in that instance, but that's just me doing the zero input thing... :lol: thinking is reserved for recording :D

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 am
Chief Executive Owl

Just got the PSA and holy shit this thing is amazing. I need to spend some time with it figuring out the settings and how it will work with my rig but damn it sounds killer!! :love:

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps: