Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I’m just out here trying to live my best life with the XXX 
Hall of Fame Member

Wrote this over the last couple days. XXX scoop. Still plenty of mids but for those who maybe aren’t too into recording and are a mids up kinda dude, that’s all good, but I’m getting bigger sounding guitar with less guitars stacked in the recording because of losing those boxy nasal ass mids. If you want big, it’s not only about the BASS guitar, it’s aboit losing some of those shitty fucking mids! Haha

https://app.box.com/s/3yf8m8gsq2e0y6k40dedt12280jabw2e

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 am
Crystal Lettucer

Sounds great. I agree on the miss thing. I’ve scooped them since day 1 and ignored all the where’s the mids comments. There up your fucking ass where they should be LOL.

Guiterrorist
Pakistani Right Hand of Doom
Pesobag

Good Deals: http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 am
Hall of Fame Member

sickkkk

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:52 am
Hall of Fame Member

NinjaRaf wrote:
Sounds great. I agree on the miss thing. I’ve scooped them since day 1 and ignored all the where’s the mids comments. There up your fucking ass where they should be LOL.

I’ve never turned the mids up. Always went a little below, say average. But when I turned these down on the xxx it was in a an attempt to scoop them. And by comparison to where I was they are scooped. But, in reality, there is still plenty there. It’s just the amp dial says they are scooped. Lol. But yeah, I’ve always been on the side of too many mids is worse than too little, assuming it isn’t extreme scoopage. There is a spot where there is no salvaging the tone! Hah.

RaceU4her wrote:
sickkkk

Thanks man! Smart move adding the 4th “k”. Hahahah

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 am
Chief Executive Owl

EndTime wrote:
Wrote this over the last couple days. XXX scoop. Still plenty of mids but for those who maybe aren’t too into recording and are a mids up kinda dude, that’s all good, but I’m getting bigger sounding guitar with less guitars stacked in the recording because of losing those boxy nasal ass mids. If you want big, it’s not only about the BASS guitar, it’s aboit losing some of those shitty fucking mids! Haha

sounds great man!!!! This one has the Exodus Exhibit vibe for sure (which probably not what you were going for, but not a bad thing in my book).
NinjaRaf wrote:

hahahahaha :lol: :rawk:

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Kemper Rack
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
That tone KICKS ASS!!!!!
ImageImageImage

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:00 am
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
EndTime wrote:

sounds great man!!!! This one has the Exodus Exhibit vibe for sure (which probably not what you were going for, but not a bad thing in my book).

It’s certainly some sort of example I listened to. But when I hear it I honestly just hear XXX. It just inspired to try different settings with the amp. For just a L/R track it definitely fills more sonic space than I’m kinda used to. I often only do 2 tracks for demos and such, but when I really try to get the right sound I often do 3-4, but I could be happy with just these 2 for sure. And despite our love of those big multi tracked guitar albums, if you can get away with less, it’s generally better ime.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:10 am
Chief Executive Owl

EndTime wrote:
And despite our love of those big multi tracked guitar albums, if you can get away with less, it’s generally better ime.

For sure. You hear more of the player's nuances and style with 2 tracks.

Are you using the crunch or ultra channel?

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Kemper Rack
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
EndTime wrote:
And despite our love of those big multi tracked guitar albums, if you can get away with less, it’s generally better ime.

For sure. You hear more of the player's nuances and style with 2 tracks.

Are you using the crunch or ultra channel?

Crunch.

But I have dialed in the Ultra for the lead tone. Haven’t quite utilized the two channels yet in a recording, but I think how it’s dialed with the ultra channels slightly more low mid focused tone with the smoother high end will be just enough to allow each to sit nicely with each with no post processing to find space

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 am
Crystal Lettucer

The riffage is the real star here :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

This is some kick ass shit

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am
Hall of Fame Member

Fuck, that was killer!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Member

Devin wrote:
The riffage is the real star here :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

This is some kick ass shit

Sweet, thanks man! I am pretty happy with this one, also because I hav the vocal lines and patterns virtually locked in as well and they are gonna MAKE certain sections! Well that’s the plan anyway. But this one came together as sort of a completed vision when writing it. The one section that will basically be the chorus(it’s repeated 3x)!thru-out is the main one where I had the vocal line accompany the riff when I wrote it! I must admit it’s pretty rare that happens. If ever! But having the whole song come together in my head has me believing it’ll be a good one when fully finished
bubbastain wrote:
Fuck, that was killer!

Thanks bubba!!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Dude that aint scooped :lol: Seriously though lots of mids going on in there, if anything pretty well balanced with a huge low end. :thu: Dig your riffs man.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sounds good to me! That definitely dont sound scooped to me!

I picked up a XXX a month or two ago and I have been loving it more than I thought I would. I have been using the Crunch channel with the mids about 9-10 clock. Probably much more scooped than you!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

FAKA! wrote:
Dude that aint scooped :lol: Seriously though lots of mids going on in there, if anything pretty well balanced with a huge low end. :thu: Dig your riffs man.

The amp is scooped. My playing and production probably even em out. But for real I physically beat the strings. It’s just naturally how I play. I break 3-4 strings a week on average . E or the A 90% of the time and I’m learning the mids come from that heavy of a pick attack. Anyway, thanks for digging it !
Shask wrote:
Sounds good to me! That definitely dont sound scooped to me!

I picked up a XXX a month or two ago and I have been loving it more than I thought I would. I have been using the Crunch channel with the mids about 9-10 clock. Probably much more scooped than you!

I’m below 9 o’clock. Like I was saying above, it’s way less than most people would set the amp, but I physically get mids by the pick attack. And believe it or not the xXX is very sensitive to pick strength. Seriously try it out. Soft to hard picking and the amp will generate more mids with the heavy hand.

But my settings were treble at noon, mids a shade below 9 o’clock and bass just shy of 1 o’clock.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Also the XXX will almost always have a lot of mids regardless. Especially the upper mids. You almost can’t get rid of those!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Crystal Lettucer

It's your life and you're gonna do what ya wanna, do what you like!

My favorite part of the clip kicks in around 4:18, furious and precise! Still have the resonance on medium?

TurboPablo wrote:
Scribble strips are for kids.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Gary Holt would practically turn the mid knob to zero (Crunch channel), and then add a little in with a Presonus Parametric EQ.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

Dick Butter Nuts wrote:
It's your life and you're gonna do what ya wanna, do what you like!

My favorite part of the clip kicks in around 4:18, furious and precise! Still have the resonance on medium?

On this I do, but I’ve been going back and forth the last day or so trying to decide which setting REALLY is best. Loose does seem to sound best, but it opens up the highs in a way that is difficult to control. But you can really hear the amp kinda “restraining” on mid but it also keeps the highs from getting too extreme. Ideally somewhere in between is the best setting!! Haha

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 am
Hall of Fame Member

Landshark wrote:
Gary Holt would practically turn the mid knob to zero (Crunch channel), and then add a little in with a Presonus Parametric EQ.

Hmm. I’ll try those the gain is about right, but the bass that high with the mid that low is definitely gonna be bassy. I would say that’s around “1” on the mids, I’m honestly not too far off from that but the mids really change a bunch starting at around 9 o’clock and down. A lot happens in that last little bit which is why I’m literally changing that dial in the smallest increments to find the right sound.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

There’s also a Rane Parametric in the rack. He runs that in the loop?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:56 am
Chief Executive Owl

EndTime wrote:

No the Range is out front, kind of like Dime used to do with the Furman PQ4.

He's boosting some highs with the Range, which is probably with he could get away with those amp settings.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Kemper Rack
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
EndTime wrote:

He's boosting some highs with the Range, which is probably with he could get away with those amp settings.

So he’s running 2 parametric EQs In front! Seems kinda excessive. Lol

I have listened to the Exodus albums with the XxX recently just to kinda hear the xxx in action. I know he does scoop a bit more but there is definitely a weird crunch on that one album he used the presonus. Unique for sure. On one of the other albums Shovel Headed I think, that’s supposed XXX straight in no EQ or boost. I actually prefer that tone a bit more. But the exhibit A tone is definitely quite unique sounding. Still sounds very xxx to me but yeah, he’s screwing around quite a bit from my estimation

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 am
Crystal Lettucer

EndTime wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
EndTime wrote:

So he’s running 2 parametric EQs In front! Seems kinda excessive. Lol

I have listened to the Exodus albums with the XxX recently just to kinda hear the xxx in action. I know he does scoop a bit more but there is definitely a weird crunch on that one album he used the presonus. Unique for sure. On one of the other albums Shovel Headed I think, that’s supposed XXX straight in no EQ or boost. I actually prefer that tone a bit more. But the exhibit A tone is definitely quite unique sounding. Still sounds very xxx to me but yeah, he’s screwing around quite a bit from my estimation

Presonus must be in the loop? His go-to mid setting on the crunch channel was past noon according to the red mark, which makes me wonder if the mid knob got turned down by accident or did he just decide he liked having it turned down and boosting mids with the rack units?

TurboPablo wrote:
Scribble strips are for kids.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah he definitely scoops the mids. That mark, from my guess, still lines up but on the OTHER side. Why they did that? No idea. But mids that high On the xxx is kinda insane! As in bad. Lol. I know I have heard him say anything above “2” on the mids they get funny. Which is basically 9 oclock. And just listening to those albums the mids are definitely down pretty low and he’s adding back in the crunch with the EQ which he also says is in front, not the loop. Because Exodus has been brought up recently I’ve delved into what I can for this and that’s basically the story! Altho whenever anyone asked about the presonus settings he won’t give em out! Lol and in this pick the mid settings are basically blocked!

But I’ve been fucking with it all morning. I can get close to what I hear their tones are with these settings(except the bass knob I can’t go beyond 1 oclock If I have the mids and highs the same as the pic) and I boosted with my parametric EQ and also tried the maxon od808extreme which let’s in WAY more highs and hits the mids harder than a standard od808. They both get close but the maxon is maybe a touch clearer. Altho my EQ isn’t the presonus so who knows how that may react differently.

For me I can’t do mids quite that low. It’s old school but with my cab and everything else it’s a bit too low. Here’s where I’m at. Anything below 9 on the mids definitely starts taking on that scooped tone. Really smooths the mids our too. I like em just below 9. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. Treble like 11:30, bass 1+ and these are my settings on the ts808

Basically drive a 9, level straight up at noon and tone just under 12

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next