Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
5150 combo clip with Sheffield 1200 speakers 
Hall of Fame Member

Yep I got one of these bad boys again.. A buddy of mine had this and asked if he'd trade it straight up for my OLD 5150 head.. I figured what the hey?! At first I was like, eh, I ve kinda moved on from this amp.. Even though I literally only played this amp for like 15 years straight at one point..

Anyway, it had greenbacks in there and I never liked them IN the combos cab.. It mutes all the high end for some reason.. I had some of the old 5150 4x12 cab speakers left over.. They are 16 ohm, so I had to wire these in parallel and then use the extension jack on the combo.. But I immediately felt more at home.. I do have this again for nostalgia purposes basically but it really does feel good to me..

Sorry for the double post.. This is the Drumjm of recent.. But it seems to have died off as IM a little late.. Just generic riffing.. IN fact I tried to purposely rip off Metallica Eye of the Beholder..Just because.. Lol. And theres no Bass in this clip either.. So it sounds pretty close! haha

https://soundcloud.com/eric-bauer-power ... rasher-jam

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm
Chief Executive Owl

I don't have my studio monitors up this week, so I am listening to it through my work computer. But it sounds pretty much like your old 5150. Maybe once I get my monitors up I can hear some nuances that are different but the core tone is basically the same. That's one thing I noticed about the Pv 5150/II/Combo: they sound different when you're playing them but they record pretty much the same for some reason.

I am surprised that you felt the GBs mute the highs compared to the Sheffields, my experience has been that the GB has more highs than the PV speakers.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Well, of course it sounds fiddy’ish, but I’m gonna stop short of saying my old combo recordings, as I know it’s dialed in more aggressive in the highs. Also the last many years I was using it with my 4x12 which had Legends and yeah, the Sheffield1200 are quite a bit brighter than the Greenbacks. Compared back to back it literally is like night and day. In fact I always felt like the 1200s were always a touch too bright. The greenies are much leaner in the lows and smoother in the highs by comparison. Again I’m speaking solely within the 2x12 combo enclosure. I just never liked the greenbacks in there and I felt the same way again with em.

The 1200s are basically More highs and more lows with decent high mids and a noticeable scoop/hollowness in the low mids.

The greenies gave up more of the goods when cranked, but so do the 1200s tbh

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:05 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Sounds great as usual haha. Makes me want one in the combo shell lol

Guiterrorist
Pakistani Right Hand of Doom
Pesobag

Good Deals: http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 pm
Hall of Fame Member

NinjaRaf wrote:
Sounds great as usual haha. Makes me want one in the combo shell lol

Hah

I honestly prolly prefer it in a head, cause it sounds great thru a 4x12 , but I have the 6505 head to suit that.. ANd also the combo in its OG form is also completely unlike anything else really. It’s all I’ve been playing since I got it again! And it’s onviously a tone I know well and after playing around with all types of amps and configurations, the 2x12 combo is it’s own thing for sure. So I’m definitely gonna keep it around like that just cause it fills a different space. Plus that 2x12 is much quieter than the 4x12! Good for when I just want to work shit a bit quieter. But I’m still around 2.5 on the post vol!

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Sounded killer.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

im so not a high gain dude- but have any of you cats thrown the 5150 combo on a 412 and run them together? i wonder how that combo'd work- seems like most folks using metal type gain don't incorporate any sorta open backs- and wonder how much the extra tooth could work to yer advantage, or if itd basically add too much flub? i love that combo myself, especially live cause its so much easier to hear with crap monitoring, which is always the case.:lol:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:49 am
Crystal Lettucer

Yeah I have the 2 head, which is why I was tying to track down a combo a few months ago.

I’m sure dudes have run 412 and the combo together. I think I’ve done it just for fun before. But this combo is a sealed 212 anyway. The open back definitely spreads the sound out more and loosens it up a bit. I had one of those Mesa 412s that was half open back and struggled getting the right sound out of it.

Guiterrorist
Pakistani Right Hand of Doom
Pesobag

Good Deals: http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:21 am
Hall of Fame Member

newholland wrote:
im so not a high gain dude- but have any of you cats thrown the 5150 combo on a 412 and run them together? i wonder how that combo'd work- seems like most folks using metal type gain don't incorporate any sorta open backs- and wonder how much the extra tooth could work to yer advantage, or if itd basically add too much flub? i love that combo myself, especially live cause its so much easier to hear with crap monitoring, which is always the case.:lol:

Yeah the 2x12 is closed back. It ain’t nothing like any combo before it. And probably since because everyone and their mother bitched about its weight. Which I honestly never understood. It’s no heavier than a 4x12.
But to answer your question of hitching the combo on the 4x12 and essentially running a 6x12. Somehow, and I’m guessing cause it’s 60 watts, it really didn’t sound best in that scenario. I think it’s just 2 speakers too much to really push all 6 with the right amount of balls. The 2x12 or 4x12 is it’s ideal speaker set up

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]