Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Twas bound to happen. What next? 
Crystal Lettucer

Just sold the III 50 watter on Reverb. Should I just bite the bullet and pick up an OG 5150? Or maybe get a Fryette PowerStation to run with the GT instead? I love tubes and am staying with a mixture of digital and tube from now on. The GT sounds so flipping good in that regard. Though I have been running it through a Behringer power amp (apologies in advance) through a 412 at metal practice and it sounds killer.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!??!?

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:48 am
Chief Executive Owl

If the behringer is working for volume and the GT is working for effects why not just get a tube preamp? JMP-1, MP1, E530 etc....

Guitars: 2013 Les Paul Traditional, 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd edition 3 pickup, 2005 Gibson SG Special, Jackson Dinky MIJ, Ibanez Artcore, Ibanez RG, Strat and Tele Partscasters

Amps: EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, TC G Major 2.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum contact me at admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

GuitarBilly wrote:
If the behringer is working for volume and the GT is working for effects why not just get a tube preamp? JMP-1, MP1, E530 etc....

Honestly; the GT has been working so great as a preamp and multifx with power tubes giving up some wonderful goods that I found I've really rethought my feelings on needing preamp tubes vs. needing power tubes in the equation. Always thought my love of 5150s and Rectos meant I didn't care as much for power section vs tube goodness in the pre section.

One of those Kraktaou (or wtf-ever) pres that Raf and Maggotspawn are running might be cool too.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am
Hall of Fame Member

The Kartakou is seriously good. I'm planning on getting another one just to have.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

Honestly; the GT has been working so great as a preamp and multifx with power tubes giving up some wonderful goods that I found I've really rethought my feelings on needing preamp tubes vs. needing power tubes in the equation. Always thought my love of 5150s and Rectos meant I didn't care as much for power section vs tube goodness in the pre section.

One of those Kraktaou (or wtf-ever) pres that Raf and Maggotspawn are running might be cool too.

Maybe it is time to invest in a nice big tube poweramp to keep to run your preamp/modeler of the week through? Something like a Mesa 2:90, or Coliseum, or VHT 2/50 or 2/90 or whatever the numbers are. I know I have considered doing the same.

I am kind of the same way. I love the 5150 and Recto style tones. Many people seem to think this means the poweramp has no benefit to the sound other than making it loud, and the tone is all in the preamp. I have been finding more and move over time that I think the poweramp is the MOST important part of these amps. It is true they don't contribute to the distortion as much, but they do have a huge scooped smile EQ curve to them, especially when you crank the depth/resonance and presence controls like I do. There is also a dynamic feel thing that happens because of the interaction between the power tubes, output transformer, and speaker impedance. This feedback circuit really brings the feel, and helps the "chug" of these amps. This is the hardest part IMO, to get in a modeler. I would say the closest I have gotten is with my Axe-FX II and Matrix GT1000FX. The Katana is decent at this also in its range. However, neither are still the same when it comes to that low end chug and dynamic interaction. It seems to be no surprise that I have to scoop the mids out a ton on my modelers with my solid state poweramps to get the same type of tone as my tube amps. I have been messing with this a lot over the last couple of years, and I definitely think the tube poweramp / cab interaction is the piece we still haven't quite figured out, and is the most important in terms of getting realistic feeling high gain chugging rhythms.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]