Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Considering selling my EVH 5150 50 watt 6L6 
Hall of Fame Member

I'm considering selling my 50 watt 6L6 head. I love it for the heavier stuff. But, I play in a classic rock cover band and I'm having a difficult time getting those types of tones with it. Is anyone else using it for this purpose?

***1776*** wrote:
BTW Your a ampwhore and finniky, to hear you liking the amp is a good thing :lol:

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 am
Crystal Lettucer

Ehh; I don't know. I played my first official gig with the 50 watter Friday night. Everything from KC and the Sunshine Band to Meat Loaf to Stray Cats to Sir Mix A Lot to Autograph. It worked fine for all of that stuff and I'd consider that a pretty wide swath of material. My bigger problem was getting levels on stage up without upsetting FOH levels. But that's another thread.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:33 am
Crystal Lettucer

JiveTurkey wrote:
Ehh; I don't know. I played my first official gig with the 50 watter Friday night. Everything from KC and the Sunshine Band to Meat Loaf to Stray Cats to Sir Mix A Lot to Autograph. It worked fine for all of that stuff and I'd consider that a pretty wide swath of material. My bigger problem was getting levels on stage up without upsetting FOH levels. But that's another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44900

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:40 am
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah if u can’t get the evh to do more classic stuff, then it’s kinda on you.

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:44 am
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:

What settings are you using? Maybe I'm just not dialing it in right? I never struggled with my Marshall DSL's in the past.

***1776*** wrote:
BTW Your a ampwhore and finniky, to hear you liking the amp is a good thing :lol:

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 am
Crystal Lettucer

TurboPablo wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/v ... =5&t=44900

Goddammit Pablo :lol: I had to think on that for a minute :cop: :drool: I'll elaborate once the bacon's done cooking. Or tomorrow :phone:

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:52 am
Crystal Lettucer

ledvedder wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

What settings are you using? Maybe I'm just not dialing it in right? I never struggled with my Marshall DSL's in the past.

It's pretty set and forget for me. Gain up at about 7.5ish, lows just over 5, mids sucked back to probably 4, highs up to 6. Presence at 5ish? Volume to taste. Resonance off. This is for the blue channel. I run DiMarzio DeActivators sunk down just a hair for normal, for what that's worth.

I used the blue channel with a boost up front as needed. Occasionally foraying into the clean channel, gain at 6ish volume a little higher than blue.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 am
Chief Executive Owl

Yeah I don't have any issues getting classic rock tones with the 5150 III either, especially the new model with the dual pots, they lowered the gain in the green/blue channel considerably.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
1997 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90s
2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I switched from a 5153 to a dsl for the same reason.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:53 am
Hall of Fame Member

Blue channel maybe is a bit too compressed for what would be ideal, but if you're trying to cover a wide range of song styles with one amp, ideal may be too much to ask for. There might be another amp out there that suits you better though, nothing wrong with that. You might prefer the tone of the DSL but IMO the 5150 III is more versatile. Now if they would bring out a DSL that was a true 3 channel amp with separate Clean/Crunch/OD1 (just get rid of OD2 because it's a mess) controls and full featured switching then it could really compete with the 5150 III in terms of versatility and usability.

Can someone get Nik at Ceriatone on something like that? Maybe with a switchable clipping diode deal on the crunch channel?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:53 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Bardagh wrote:
Blue channel maybe is a bit too compressed for what would be ideal, but if you're trying to cover a wide range of song styles with one amp, ideal may be too much to ask for. There might be another amp out there that suits you better though, nothing wrong with that. You might prefer the tone of the DSL but IMO the 5150 III is more versatile. Now if they would bring out a DSL that was a true 3 channel amp with separate Clean/Crunch/OD1 (just get rid of OD2 because it's a mess) controls and full featured switching then it could really compete with the 5150 III in terms of versatility and usability.

Can someone get Nik at Ceriatone on something like that? Maybe with a switchable clipping diode deal on the crunch channel?

That was the idea behind the TSL but it had reliability issues. If you can iron them out, it's a good amp.

The JVM can do all that too.

The DSL is a simple 2 channel amp by design. Or you can use it as a classic single channel Marshall on green crunch mode.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Bardagh wrote:

My Chupacabra with a clean channel would be the perfect amp for me!

***1776*** wrote:

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:20 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ledvedder wrote:
Bardagh wrote:

Save up for a King Kong... :cop:

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:33 pm
Chief Executive Owl

ledvedder wrote:

Just keep the gain lower on the amp, boost for leads and roll back for cleans.

Classic rock was not played on channel switching amps to begin with. So technically a single channel amp is the most accurate way to replicate those tones.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
Bardagh wrote:

That was the idea behind the TSL but it had reliability issues. If you can iron them out, it's a good amp.

The JVM can do all that too.

The DSL is a simple 2 channel amp by design. Or you can use it as a classic single channel Marshall on green crunch mode.

Yes it couldn't be a "DSL" anymore with 3 channels, it would be a rerelease of the TSL but they could do it right this time. They wouldn't do that though I suppose because then it would compete with the JVM, however especially for the price I've just never liked the JVM series.

My issue with the DSL has always been that OD2 is useless and I want something out of the amp that's in between where Crunch ends and OD1 begins as far as gain and compression and "balls." If OD2 was actually like OD1 and OD1 was drier/cleaner sounding I would have been a lot happier with it.

For live players I think a Clean/Crunch button on the footswitch would have been a lot better than the OD1/OD2 button the old switch had, and more useful than the current one that has a reverb button instead. I can't imagine that subtle reverb they use in the newer DSL lines is worth anything live anyway.

I do see how you could just set the classic channel to crunch and use it like you're saying, then switch to the high gain channel as needed for leads etc. Still I think it's hard to argue against the 5150 III 50 watt as being the most versatile and easily usable amp in this price range that's currently available.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 am
Hall of Fame Member

What you're describing sounds a lot like the VH100R to me. Between the 2 channels and the boost, it covers a hell of a lot of tonal ground.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:27 am
Hall of Fame Member

Zozobra wrote:
What you're describing sounds a lot like the VH100R to me. Between the 2 channels and the boost, it covers a hell of a lot of tonal ground.

Good point, I forget about those Laneys. I don't really like their current amp lineup although the L30BL would be cool to try (totally irrelevant to this conversation though).

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:07 am
Hall of Fame Member

I'm considering buying another one. Having one on each side of the stage would be classic in a rock type of way.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 am
Chief Executive Owl

Zozobra wrote:

Yep. The IronHeart series as well. 3 channels with a boost and very capable of classic rock tones.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

What differences would I get with the EL34 version? There aren't any around my area to check out.

***1776*** wrote:

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

They don't sound as good and are more expensive.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:12 am
Chief Executive Owl

sleewell wrote:
They don't sound as good and are more expensive.

yeah kinda this. The EL34 is a bit more classic sounding so to speak but it's still a 5153, so if the 6L6 is not working for you, I doubt the EL34 will. I do think the 6L6 is the better sounding of the 2.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshal DSL40C

Effects:
Boss MS-3

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Spawn Quick Rod.

PRS S2 Custom 22 w/Duncan Custom/'59, Jackson SL2 Soloist w/ Duncan Distortions, ESP Alex Skolnick AS-1, Randall Thrasher 50, Randall 4x12 w/UK Greenbacks, Friedman Buxom Boost, Digitech RP1000 & MXR 10-Band in the loop.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]