Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Anybody prefer their PRS SE over higher end? 
Hall of Fame Member

I bought an S2 Custom 22. It's being gutted and wiring/pots upgraded, chrome-covered Duncan Custom and '59 installed, as well as trem blocked for dive-only/drop-D capabilities. NICE ass guitar, played beautifully out of the box. Stock pickups suck, (but I planned to yank them anyway). I'm on pins and needles waiting for it to be done!

PRS S2 Custom 22 w/Duncan Custom/'59, Jackson SL2 Soloist w/ Duncan Distortions, Friedman Runt 50, Randall RD45H, Randall 4x12 w/UK Greenbacks, Cusack Screamer V2, MXR 10-Band in the loop w/Digitech RP1000 for FX only.

Last edited by Kanigget on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:47 am
Hall of Fame Member

Kanigget wrote:
I bought an S2 Custom 22. It's being gutted and wiring/pots upgraded, Duncan Custom and '59 installed, as well as trem blocked for dive-only/drop-D capabilities. NICE ass guitar, played beautifully out of the box. Stock pickups suck, (but I planned to yank them anyway).

Congrats! Nice guitar. I don't know what pickups they put in the S2 line, but I've been happy with the pickups in my core models, but swapped out the ones in my SE ASAP.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:49 am
Hall of Fame Member

mincy wrote:
Kanigget wrote:
I bought an S2 Custom 22. It's being gutted and wiring/pots upgraded, Duncan Custom and '59 installed, as well as trem blocked for dive-only/drop-D capabilities. NICE ass guitar, played beautifully out of the box. Stock pickups suck, (but I planned to yank them anyway).

Congrats! Nice guitar. I don't know what pickups they put in the S2 line, but I've been happy with the pickups in my core models, but swapped out the ones in my SE ASAP.

Korean-made "85/15 "S" pickups stock. I find them lifeless, dull, and no balls. Kinda clanky. Very uninspiring.

PRS S2 Custom 22 w/Duncan Custom/'59, Jackson SL2 Soloist w/ Duncan Distortions, Friedman Runt 50, Randall RD45H, Randall 4x12 w/UK Greenbacks, Cusack Screamer V2, MXR 10-Band in the loop w/Digitech RP1000 for FX only.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:52 am
Hall of Fame Member

Kanigget wrote:
Korean-made "85/15 "S" pickups stock. I find them lifeless, dull, and no balls. Kinda clanky. Very uninspiring.

Sounds a lot like what was in my SE. And yes, lifeless, dull and no balls.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:48 am
Chief Executive Owl

I am not a fan of PRS pickups for the most part, even the Core pickups do nothing for me, with the exception of the McCarty pickups, those are really good.
So yeah changing pickups on a PRS is not big deal.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I am not a fan of PRS pickups for the most part, even the Core pickups do nothing for me, with the exception of the McCarty pickups, those are really good.
So yeah changing pickups on a PRS is not big deal.

They never really knocked my socks off either. I had a core SC245 with the coveted 58/15's, and I found them on par with '57 Classics, maybe a little brighter, (pickups I don't care for). I was shocked to see people paying $500 for those pickups on TGP, Reverb, etc. I certainly didn't hear anything magical! I was tempted to yank them out and sell them!

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2