Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Henning Boost - FIRST RUN ALL PAID AND WILL SHIP TOMORROW! 
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
May 29 is OK with me... I spent way too much this month... my credit card bill will be due just before your resistors arrive! :D

:lol: We'll figure it out, man!

Steve

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Registered Member

Pedal looks great and I feel it surpasses Fortin’s Grind and 33 buy a lot in both sound and function. VFE was selling the Standout for $154... talk about a steal. Parts alone cost almost $100.

You should check out the Dragon and Pinball pedals. Both are really good as well.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 am
Hall of Fame Member

psychodave wrote:
Pedal looks great and I feel it surpasses Fortin’s Grind and 33 buy a lot in both sound and function.

Thanks and yes, I'm really loving this thing. I have to say, there is something about the 33 that I really like (never tried the Grind), but I was easily able to dial in the exact same tone I liked on the 33 with this pedal instantly, plus it can do a whole lot more. I have the Blade as well and, I don't know why, but I could not get it to sound the way I like the 33 set. I don't like the way the DEEP knob on it works at all - it's either too much or two little. I can get some cool sounds out of the Blade, but it's not as easy to dial to me. The Standout pedal I built is awesome in that it can be adjusted easily to get a wide variety of tones. The 33 is a great tone, but it's a one trick pony to me...

psychodave wrote:
VFE was selling the Standout for $154... talk about a steal. Parts alone cost almost $100.

Well... I wish he would have charged more and stayed in business. I'm pretty efficient at building things with all the amps and guitars I've done now, but it's still a lot of manual work to put one of these together right.

psychodave wrote:
You should check out the Dragon and Pinball pedals. Both are really good as well.

I've got a Dragon - picked up one of the last ones - but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet...

Steve

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Registered Member

VFE was selling them so cheap because his students were building them :lol: . As you already know, building the pedals is tedious work. I’m not looking forward to doing it. My blind and color blind eye really struggle. I’ll have my trusty fluke meter on at all times. Haha

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm
Hall of Fame Member

psychodave wrote:
VFE was selling them so cheap because his students were building them :lol: . As you already know, building the pedals is tedious work. I’m not looking forward to doing it. My blind and color blind eye really struggle. I’ll have my trusty fluke meter on at all times. Haha

Yup, it's no picnic - good luck with yours, man!

Steve

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Got the boards for the first run all stuffed and ready for soldering. The only issue is each board needs four 1.43K resistors and they are backordered. Mouser says they should be in stock by 19 May, but I'm looking for alternate sources now... Really want to finish these and get them out to everybody...

Pics:

Steve

Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Psyched!!!! :rawk:

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Mon May 13, 2019 5:19 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Nice!

I was just thinking about this pedal earlier.

Mon May 13, 2019 5:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I’m quite excited to abuse the front end of my Cherry Bomb with this thing :rawk:

T

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

Tue May 14, 2019 1:22 am
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Psyched!!!! :rawk:

TurboPablo wrote:
Nice!

I was just thinking about this pedal earlier.

mctallica1 wrote:
I’m quite excited to abuse the front end of my Cherry Bomb with this thing :rawk:

T

Well, I found a new source for the 1.43K resistors I needed, so I hope to get these in your hands sooner! :thu:

Steve

Tue May 14, 2019 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Most excellent!!!

In your opinion, how well do you think this pedal will pair with a Mesa MarkIII?

Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am
Hall of Fame Member

TurboPablo wrote:
Most excellent!!!

In your opinion, how well do you think this pedal will pair with a Mesa MarkIII?

Should be great with the MarkIII - you may need to adjust the internal trim pot depending on what you're going for. I'll have it set for using with a high gain amp like the Bottle Rocket...

Steve

Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

sah5150 wrote:
TurboPablo wrote:
Most excellent!!!

Should be great with the MarkIII - you may need to adjust the internal trim pot depending on what you're going for. I'll have it set for using with a high gain amp like the Bottle Rocket...

Steve

Cool. I have been venturing into new turf with the amp lately and having a ton of fun with it. I'll most likely use your pedal to send it way over the edge into madness.

Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 am
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Paid last month's credit card bill... I'm ready for my Henning Boost Pedal.

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 am
Registered Member

Looks good.

Did you go with the 100u cap or the 22u cap on the bottom right?

I picked up another Standout... found one with a charge pump. :thu:

Thu May 16, 2019 2:45 pm
Hall of Fame Member

psychodave wrote:
Looks good. Did you go with the 100u cap or the 22u cap on the bottom right?

150u - I used the exact cap he references in the DIY section on the website

psychodave wrote:
I picked up another Standout... found one with a charge pump. :thu:

Nice! :thu:

Steve

Thu May 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Since several people on the list have reached out for an update, I figured I'd post here instead of writing the same thing multiple times in PMs... :)

I finally received the 1.43K resistors I needed to finish the boards that were out of stock. I stuffed all the boards with them and then finished soldering four of the nine boards. I will finish the other five boards this weekend and then I'll need a couple of weeks to wire up and test the pedals, write up and print a manual, pack and ship them.

I'm estimating mid-July for shipping these out, which is (fairly) close to what I expected with the delays on the 1.43K resistors... Any other questions, feel free to post here and I'll answer.

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:20 am
Hall of Fame Member

OK another update!

Had some time today and I finished soldering the remaining 5 boards, so all 9 are done now! All I have to do now is assemble and test the pedals which doesn't take that long. I'll start working on that Sunday. Pics below.

As you can see, I ran out of the JRC4580DD OpAmps - so two board don't have them yet. Since I have DIP8 sockets already soldered in all I have to do is push the OpAmps in when they get here. I actually have a ton of other OpAmps, but I want to use what was in the original pedal. They'll be here next Friday, but I can assemble and test those two boards with the other OpAmps prior to the JRC4580DDs arriving and then replace them.

Steve

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Registered Member

They look cool :hi5:

A great opamp to try is the LM4562. I have a few on order and the info came from a friend who owns quite a few VFE pedals and is in the know.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 am
Hall of Fame Member

Another productive day in the shop! The reason I didn't install the input and output jacks yet is that I still need access to the tops of the boards - there is a little more soldering left to do and then these will be ready for testing. Finally, I'll install the knobs, screw the enclosure bottoms on and they'll be ready to go.

These are a ton of work and you have to be really careful each step of the way, but it's still a lot of fun to do them all at once like this!

Pics (of course! :lol: ):

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

psychodave wrote:
They look cool :hi5:

A great opamp to try is the LM4562. I have a few on order and the info came from a friend who owns quite a few VFE pedals and is in the know.

More progress today, Dave! I might have some of those LM4562s - I'll check 'em out!

Steve

Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Registered Member

Hey Steve,

Can you add me to the wait list?

Thanks!
John

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

johnp2 wrote:
Hey Steve,

Can you add me to the wait list?

Thanks!
John

Sure man!

Steve

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Don't forget to autograph the inside covers!!! :rawk:

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next