Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Turnover. Thanks GAB/GGF... 
Hall of Fame Member

I keep a running spreadsheet of my gear. Yeah, I'm a total nerd. :nerd: I update it when I sell a piece of gear or acquire a new piece of gear, usually once every couple months or so. I try to update it when I loan something out (lost too much stuff lending things out and promptly forgetting about it). I use it as a repository to store my research on new gear I absolutely "need". :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am knee deep in a project at work that is similar to stuff I used to do at a prior job, & I pulled out an old USB drive to locate some documents so as not to reinvent the wheel. Was surprised to find one of my old gear spreadsheets on this drive that I haven't touched since 2013, right about the time I joined Guitar Amp Board. It was kinda like a trip down memory lane, I hadn't even thought of some of those guitars or amps in forever. Some stuff I fully regret selling / trading away, but the sale filled a need at one point, I hope... The funniest part is I jotted down little notes like "Never sell", or "Keeper!" for stuff I sold years ago. There's stuff on my "Want List" that I have since bought, used, and moved on from.

Bottom line, I have had a complete overhaul of all my guitars and amps in the last 6 years. Literally nothing on the 2013 list that is still on my 2019 list. I blame you for all the GAS, GGFbros! Every one of you, but especially MISTER NOBODY and mortatone. :lol: I'm wondering if in another 5 years, I'll have another complete overhaul, but I like to think I'm closer to being "done". :rofl:

How often does your collection get overhauled, GGFbros? Ever sold absolutely everything and started over from scratch?

Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Takes me about 10 years to completely overhaul into new iterations of the greatest rig the bedroom has ever seen.

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Thu May 16, 2019 1:44 pm
Crystal Lettucer

usually by the time I have the pics up it's already gone

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 pm
Crystal Lettucer

I sold a bunch of mid level stuff and upgraded with higher quality gear that I anticipate keeping forever.

Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm
Chief Executive Owl

don't even get me started :lol: The turn over here is crazy. Although my black Les Paul, Bad Horsie wah and Marshall cab have been with me before 2013... but I've gone through several different rigs since then.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

You went through seven rigs last year.

Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm
Chief Executive Owl

TurboPablo wrote:
You went through seven rigs last year.

:lol: Nah last year was pretty chill... I just used the EVH for the whole year.. tried the new DSL too for a few days but didn't like it.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2013 Jackson SLX Soloist
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Player Strat HSS
Tele Partscaster
Yamaha Acoustic-Electric

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshal DSL40C
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
TC G-System
Tech 21 FlyRig 5 V2

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

You guys really need to learn how to stay put with a rig and get to know it before just offing it for something else.

Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Crystal Lettucer

4 days with a DSL is a lifetime.

Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:
You guys really need to learn how to stay put with a rig and get to know it before just offing it for something else.

Literally thought about you when I was typing the OP. Was like, "man, JT probably cycles thru this much modeling gear in a few months". :rofl:

Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I have never really started over. My second guitar was purchased in 98 and I still have it. Some stuff stayed around for a decade. I purge a pile of stuff every few years, usually to buy something expensive but not music related.

I used to write notes about gear selling and trading. I went nuts buying and selling for a few years and tried to keep track. Lots of pedals and amps that didn't stay long. I gave up on that.

Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I don't track gear like you, although I'm a nerd and I appreciate the effort, but I don't have to. With the exception of some PA gear that it didn't make sense to keep, I still have 90% of everything I have ever bought. It's a little OCD, but it stems from trading off the first real guitar I had (a '62 SG Jr) and regretting it. Hell, I still have my first 4x12 cabinet (30 year old Carvin bottom cab) and it's still my main cabinet. I've loosened up on that approach over the last year or two and I'm seriously considering a push to downsize. I'll still have more than anyone really needs, but it doesn't make sense to keep acquiring at this point.

"All I need are some cool Buds and some tasty waves (and a Marshall and a proper Les Paul)..." :lol:

Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

My rig for the new band is totally different than it was in my previous band. Less than 2 years later. Luckily nothing was sold, or if it was I have since re bought it lol.

And I probably sound about the same lol.

Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 am
Hall of Fame Member

I haven't had a massive turnover. I think when I first joined I had more stuff, but it was around that time that I was looking to down size.

That being said, my two main guitars at this point in time, I didn't own at this point last year. And my main rig is likely going to change here shortly, at which point I will sell off the other pieces. With a 2 week old baby, I have other things I'd like to have that money available for.

Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 am
Crystal Lettucer

I have a GR55 from 2015 and my Ibby V from 2007. Everything else has been fair game because I can't justify owning a ton of gear. It may or may not not seem like it; but I am ridiculously cheap (frugal?) and having a bunch of different rigs just sitting around makes me twitch. If something new comes in; something has to go. And something has certainly came and went 1,000 fold for me :lol: I reinvent my wheel at least once a year and while it is probably an unhealthy addiction; there are worse things I could do :idk:

On a reinvented wheel note; I am really enjoying the tubes again :love: So there is a bright spot to all of this! :dance:

Fri May 17, 2019 5:01 am
Crystal Lettucer

I owned a BOSS MS-3 for like 4 minutes.

Fri May 17, 2019 5:02 am
Crystal Lettucer

TurboPablo wrote:
I owned a BOSS MS-3 for like 4 minutes.

I just sold mine! The GT1000 arrived yesterday and I will be setting it up in 4cm and midi switching with the 5150 over the weekend :lash: :love:

Fri May 17, 2019 5:05 am
Hall of Fame Member

That's some insane turnover. Congrats on your gear whoring.

Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 am
Hall of Fame Member

I've settled down a bit in the last couple years, but I used to be bad about this too!

In the past 10-12 years, I've been through over 200 guitars (never owned more than around 20 at a time on average), and completely started over on my home studio 4 times. :lol:

Fri May 17, 2019 5:39 am
Hall of Fame Member

Once I bought a Cherry Bomb, my amp flipping days slowed to a crawl. I think I’ve had it about 5 years now. Can’t imaging NOT having it :crazy:

And the BodyHammer is badass as well....in a different way. Got it last year though, so.....

T

Concentrated
Competent
Competitive
Cohesive
Cheerful
Childlike (NOT CHILDISH)
Committed
Consistent
Confident

Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Lol, my collection doesn't cycle, it just grows like cancer.

Of course, I rarely buy stuff compared to most of the folks around here, but I think my gear has at least quadrupled since GAB/GGF started up.

Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Well my GAB link didn't work anymore and didn't know it changed :idk: but since I last was on I offed my 82' (4210) JCM800 and bought a TSA30 since I liked my TSA15 so much. Unfortunately the TSA30 sounded great but it just died and new tubes didn't fix it so instead of spending a fortune on that I bought a DSL20H to replace it. I gave my Jackson to my Daughter's step son along with a couple pedals and a Moen Buffalo EQ/Headphone amp so I recently replaced that with a new RG and a couple dirt pedals have come and gone but I still have the black SG and my TSA15 along with the new stuff.

Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]