Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
How are the Line 6 Variax guitars? 
Hall of Fame Member

I have a pod pro x and always wanted to try a variax through it for recording and fucking around with all of the simulations. I was thinking of the Variax 700 but also looking at the Shuriken as well. Thoughts?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:05 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have a Shuriken and i love it. It's an extremely well made guitar and the modeling aspect is very useful

My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:29 am
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
I have a Shuriken and i love it. It's an extremely well made guitar and the modeling aspect is very useful

Which scale length did you go with?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:20 pm
Chief Executive Owl

The original Variax and the 300 are fine on the technology side, but the actual guitars are not really that good. The 700 and later (JT, Shuriken) are great.

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

detunedman wrote:
atrox wrote:

Which scale length did you go with?

25.5"

Helix Floor

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I keep thinking that I'd like to try the JTV's, I've not had the chance to give one a go yet though. :idk:

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:56 pm
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
The original Variax and the 300 are fine on the technology side, but the actual guitars are not really that good. The 700 and later (JT, Shuriken) are great.

I had a Variax, the early design. The models were impressive but as Billy said, the guitar itself was barely playable. I never went beyond the stock models. There was software where you could alter the tuning and build your own guitar. I had a Roland MIDI pickup installed on mine, the versatility was beyond ridiculous. :cool:

I like the look of the Shruiken but haven't tried one out yet.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:33 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I have the baritone shuriken. If you removed the modeling and just use the bridge pickup its a great guitar. I wish they would expand to include active pickups as well. Just to have them to screw around with.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm
Chief Executive Owl

I just spent some time setting up JerEvil's Shuriken. Great guitar, extremely well made. Neck reminded me of a Jackson Soloist, one of my favorite neck profiles. Once I got the neck relief and action right, it played effortlessly. Definitely the best Variax so far.

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I just spent some time setting up JerEvil's Shuriken. Great guitar, extremely well made. Neck reminded me of a Jackson Soloist, one of my favorite neck profiles. Once I got the neck relief and action right, it played effortlessly. Definitely the best Variax so far.

That's awesome to hear! Was that the baritone model or regular scale? I've never had a baritone guitar but love the demos I have heard. I'm sure I could get used to the longer scale. The price is a little high even on used but that's why Sweetwater has a special place in my wallet.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 am
Hall of Fame Member

I tried a Shuriken unplugged at NAMM last year. Seemed very well built and I know Jer loves his.

PLX FX Reverb Page
Band
Undercliff Facebook
Undercliff Bandcamp

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

detunedman wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

That's awesome to hear! Was that the baritone model or regular scale? I've never had a baritone guitar but love the demos I have heard. I'm sure I could get used to the longer scale. The price is a little high even on used but that's why Sweetwater has a special place in my wallet.

Jer has the same one i do. SR250

Helix Floor

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 am
Hall of Fame Member

At one point there was a company, maybe Warmoth, that was making standard shaped guitars with Variax routes. I was tempted to get one about 10 years back. Gas faded due to my pod xt being stolen from a gig while I was off stage getting a drink.

Laney GH30r 1x12
EVH 5150 III 50 Watt

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Cobalt-60 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Cobalt-60 wrote:
I bought a Variax Standard over Thanksgiving. It's a mixed bag.

It's probably the best implementation of modeling and tuning tech stuffed into a guitar yet from Line 6. The models sound good, with some models like sitar and banjo. The acoustic models are real good. The tuning feature really works, even it is weird when your strings are vibrating a different frequency than what is coming out of your amp.

I have had some tuning stability issues with the non-locking tremolo on the Standard. I would expect the Shuriken to be much better in that regard.

I also don't completely dig the way it sounds through a Helix LT. There is a weird squealing overtone that sounds terrible and kind of negates the convenience of powering the electronics through the special cable and storing Variax settings in the patches.

I weary of trying to dial out unmusical tones with Threshold settings and high/low-cut filters instead of playing guitar. This kind of fucking around is what put me off of the Roland 13-pin and VG-8 gear previously. Yes, there is convenience and some cool party tricks to be had with the Line 6 gear, but I still think the gear doesn't really work in harmony the way Line 6 would have you believe. :idk:

Couple things. Piezo "pickups" naturally have that frequency you are talking about due to the fact that they are right at the bridge. Imagine having a magnetic pickup on your saddles. It would be roughly the same thing.

The body you choose in Workbench makes a huge difference in regards to that frequency. I found after going through all the body styles that the most neutral sounding body (when comparing to the magnetic pickups) is the Firebird body. It's called the Special Bird in workbench. The software's so called "Neutral Body" is really eliminating any body modeling all together and will enhance that frequency. Even when modeling a Tele or Strat, i will always use the Firebird body.

The body choice will get you about 75% there. Now i forget the exact frequency i kill, but slap a simple EQ in the chain. I usually go with the front of the amp as you are EQ'ing the guitar, not the amp. Boost the mids all the way up and sweep the mid frequency till you hear that annoying piezo sound in all it's horrendous glory. Once you hone in on that frequency, bring the the mid level down until it's killed.

It takes like 2 or 3 minutes max and you only have to do it once and your Variax will sound like a normal guitar.

Helix Floor

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]