Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
How can cabs be damaged aside from overloading power? 
Hall of Fame Member

So we've recently moved from an hourly rehearsal space to a shared lockout.
I'm thinking of leaving my Bogner 2x12 there so I don't have to haul it around but I don't really know these other bands or how stupid they might be.
Being that its loaded with ET65s its probably safe from a power perspective with most amps that might be used.

With impedance mismatch the only concern is on the amp side right?
Are there any other ways the cab could get damaged (aside from getting knocked over or something else physical) that I should be thinking about?

I mean theoretically the only shared gear there are drums but you never really know what happens when you're not there. While I don't expect anyone to use it I just don't know what kind of fucking around might happen. I've shared rooms many times but theres always been shared people across bands that know one another so I'm just a little anxious about it.

Egnater Armageddon, 5153 50W Stealth, Quilter, Ashdown RM500
Cabs:
Bogner OS 2x12, Randall MTS 2x12, Eden D410XLT

Listen my bands album: https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49490

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:28 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Aside from power, only stupidity aka beer, water etc being spilled in it, people plugging a jack in it then stepping on the cable and fucking up the jack. Also, people taking it to a gig because "no one will know" and the cab get stolen/damaged or "lost". That kind of shit.

A Bogner??? Fuck no, I wouldn't leave it there.

Actually, fuck shared lockouts. If my bandmates didn't want to pay the difference for a dedicated room I'd pay the extra amount out of my own pocket not to deal with that nonsense. EVERY single time I had a shared lockout it was aggravating at best and costly at worst.

'78 Les Paul Pro/ '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic 3 pickup / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / '20 Gibson Les Paul Classic/ Kramer Pacer Classic x2 / Endres Tele / Fernandes FR-65/ Peavey Predator/ Custom Frankenstrat

Amps:
Friedman Runt 50 (x2) / Marshall DSL100H / Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 / Bluguitar Amp 1

Cabs
Marshall 1960A w V30s/ Randall 4x12 w Jaguars/ Seismic 2x12 w Creambacks/ Laney 1x12 w Redback

Questions about the forum: please PM here. Can't access the forum? Need a password reset? Please access our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GuitarGearForumOfficial and message me through it.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
Aside from power, only stupidity aka beer, water etc being spilled in it, people plugging a jack in it then stepping on the cable and fucking up the jack. Also, people taking it to a gig because "no one will know" and the cab get stolen/damaged or "lost". That kind of shit.

A Bogner??? Fuck no, I wouldn't leave it there.

Actually, fuck shared lockouts. If my bandmates didn't want to pay the difference for a dedicated room I'd pay the extra amount out of my own pocket not to deal with that nonsense. EVERY single time I had a shared lockout it was aggravating at best and costly at worst.

I've done shared and non shared both and never really had any issues in the past. Problem I'm finding in Austin is availability isn't what I'm used to. Lots of hourly rooms but the lockouts I'm finding all have one issue or another (price, distance, waiting list/availability, etc) so yeah pre-baby I'd probably be willing to put up extra money but right now its just not an option. Hell our fucking property taxes just went up $400 a month so in addition to everything else going up we're just taking it from all ends (thank god for this new job I'm starting).

FWIW my Bogner is pretty beat up looking and I've spilled my own beer on it so I don't really care what happens to it so long as it continues to work. I've seen comparable quality amps/cabs left there so I'm really not expecting any issues just making sure I'm not missing something. Definitely not leaving an amp or any guitars there thats for sure.

Cabs:

Listen my bands album: https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49490

Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:05 pm
Crystal Lettucer

I would never leave any gear in any shared space. Ever. People are dicks and will eventually use it. Fuck that nonsense.

Guiterrorist
Pakistani Right Hand of Doom
Pesobag

Good Deals: http://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21#p14231

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm
Hall of Fame Member

NinjaRaf wrote:
I would never leave any gear in any shared space. Ever. People are dicks and will eventually use it. Fuck that nonsense.

Guess I’m just coming off my last shared space which was 5 years of no issues. Hell I even kept a guitar there for awhile. The worst thing that ever happened was maybe a few of my beers got drank out of the fridge.

But yeah that’s why I’m asking in regards to just a cab. Even if someone plugs into it shouldn’t be much potential problems that I could think of. If space allows I’ll probably bring my Randall as well eventually tbh.

Cabs:

Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:16 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Right on, you definitely know the actual situation better than I do.

In LV I had a hard time finding good lockouts so we just did hourly. I found a studio that had some 4x12s, decent bass rig, drums and I just brought my head and pedals. The rest was provided by the studio. That was just 10-15 bucks each person per session and I had no worries about my gear.

Here in DC I have my own lockout and love it but IMHO the best thing about a lockout is I walk in, plug my guitar and I'm ready. All our stuff is always plugged in and dialed in to perfection. Amps, PA drum kit, we can walk in and start playing immediately.
All I have to bring is a guitar, although I just bought that Les Paul Studio and I left it there for when I don't feel like bringing anything at all.

To me that's the beauty of a lockout. If I have to share space, take stuff home or worry about it getting damaged etc, I'd just get an hourly room instead.

'78 Les Paul Pro/ '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic 3 pickup / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / '20 Gibson Les Paul Classic/ Kramer Pacer Classic x2 / Endres Tele / Fernandes FR-65/ Peavey Predator/ Custom Frankenstrat

Amps:
Friedman Runt 50 (x2) / Marshall DSL100H / Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 / Bluguitar Amp 1

Cabs
Marshall 1960A w V30s/ Randall 4x12 w Jaguars/ Seismic 2x12 w Creambacks/ Laney 1x12 w Redback

Questions about the forum: please PM here. Can't access the forum? Need a password reset? Please access our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GuitarGearForumOfficial and message me through it.

Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

I am as well practicing in a shared space - as it is well organized by the owner we have no issues with the gear stored there. Still I leave only my budget DV Mark head and a 112 cab there and I take the pedalboard and the guitar always with me.

With regard to damaging factors I would generally add humidity to the list.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:21 am
Crystal Lettucer

I guess I'm lucky in that we've always had a private practice spot. Before at my old drummers house, and now at my other guitar players house. I just leave a half stack and pedal board over there and take a guitar with me. I tried leaving a guitar there, too, but who knows what I feel like playing each week, so I stopped doing that lol.

Guiterrorist
Pesobag

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:59 am
Crystal Lettucer

Cat pee , cat pee is the answer

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:16 am
Crystal Lettucer

Unless someone tries running a WAY overpowered head, I think you're good. Worst case you're out some speakers but I doubt you'll have that issue.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 am
Crystal Lettucer

NinjaRaf wrote:
I guess I'm lucky in that we've always had a private practice spot. Before at my old drummers house, and now at my other guitar players house. I just leave a half stack and pedal board over there and take a guitar with me. I tried leaving a guitar there, too, but who knows what I feel like playing each week, so I stopped doing that lol.

I'd rather have a shared lockout than practice at someone's house. I've done that before and it's always some level of pain in the dick I hate dealing with. If I want to grab a pedal or whatever then I have to deal with their time schedule. Not that a shared lockout is much better.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:16 am
Crystal Lettucer

Dave wrote:
NinjaRaf wrote:

I'd rather have a shared lockout than practice at someone's house. I've done that before and it's always some level of pain in the dick I hate dealing with. If I want to grab a pedal or whatever then I have to deal with their time schedule. Not that a shared lockout is much better.

Yeah, I can see that. Luckily I've been friends with these guys for well over a decade, and they're both people that I trust completely. Plus, I'm only leaving "copies" of gear over there. So like my main gigging rig is separate from my practice rig...so all the stuff getting left over there is nothing I need access to for anything other than practice. Definitely if I thought I might need a piece of gear, I wouldn't be leaving it there.

Guiterrorist
Pesobag

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 am
Hall of Fame Member

I've had a few shared spaces, but they've always been with good friends who will be respectful of our equipment. They are people who I've had zero issue letting use my amps and cabs when stuff has been in for repair and they'd return the favour. Good dudes for sure. Wouldn't share with randos though.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 am
Crystal Lettucer

NinjaRaf wrote:
Dave wrote:
NinjaRaf wrote:

Yeah, I can see that. Luckily I've been friends with these guys for well over a decade, and they're both people that I trust completely. Plus, I'm only leaving "copies" of gear over there. So like my main gigging rig is separate from my practice rig...so all the stuff getting left over there is nothing I need access to for anything other than practice. Definitely if I thought I might need a piece of gear, I wouldn't be leaving it there.

Having a copy of your main rig would definitely make things easier. My dumbass will get the bright idea to swap something out between practices instead of thinking ahead and just taking stuff with me. The few times I've setup a practice space in someone's home I trusted the person completely but still had to deal with their schedule.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:46 am
Crystal Lettucer

burning up voice coils is what kills a speaker , you smell that ??? Turn it down .
also over excursion , the dreaded cone crease . That's from all the bass maxed out

― MISTER NOBODY™

― Sophie Scholl

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:54 am
Crystal Lettucer

Dave wrote:
NinjaRaf wrote:
Dave wrote:
NinjaRaf wrote:

Having a copy of your main rig would definitely make things easier. My dumbass will get the bright idea to swap something out between practices instead of thinking ahead and just taking stuff with me. The few times I've setup a practice space in someone's home I trusted the person completely but still had to deal with their schedule.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do it with my main rig. I use it almost daily, so no way I'm leaving it anywhere. I duplicated it specifically to leave there lol.

Guiterrorist
Pesobag

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am
Crystal Lettucer

Pesobag, you're on to something here.

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:58 am
Hall of Fame Member

fretless wrote:

Came in to say cat piss lol

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 am
Crystal Lettucer

Dave wrote:
Pesobag, you're on to something here.

:lol:

To be fair, its not 100% the same, but it has the same components. Noise gate and tuner on the board, Fender MH cab, and EVH 50 watt. My main rig is the 100 watt Stealth, noise gate, tuner, wireless. I have 5 cabs at home, so leaving one somewhere isn't a huge deal haha.

Guiterrorist
Pesobag

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:16 am
Crystal Lettucer

RaceU4her wrote:
fretless wrote:

Came in to say cat piss lol

They will climb in yer Twin and spray away .

― MISTER NOBODY™

― Sophie Scholl

Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]