Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The new GRIMESHOP 
Crystal Lettucer

To say a lot has happened in my universe over the past 3 months would be an understatement of monumental proportions - and the topic of another post that I'll have to do later.

For now, I'm currently working with my nephew and my two boys on completely rebuilding my dad's garage into a workshop for all of us. Dad was a Jack of many trades (and most would agree that he excelled at most, if not all of them) - this included woodworking, computers, electronics, mechanics, and some light metalworking - all of which were represented in the tools and many other things we're going through in his garage. In doing so, we're discovering the space is much like him: tools, materials, collections, etc related to many different trades and interests, tendancy to push obstacles (ie: anything tedious/redundant/boring) aside for another time (which means never), organization and delegation issues, and other things.

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about what it is I want to be able to produce and do with the shop, and am trying to lay things out in a way that allows me to process materials into finished items without a lot of back and forth, stepping over/around things, etc. Wood should come in to the shop and be easy to store while it acclimates. Materials should be easy to grab and start machining - first the basic sizing operations, then the trim and finish operations. I also want aeverything on wheels so it's easy to move things around and change as needed. And everything needs to have it's own home in the shop, or it's gone. No more piles of bankers boxes overflowing with stuff I have no other way of storing. No more piles of wood cutoffs littering every horizontal surface in the place.

Major objectives:
• Provide a place for my sons and nephew (and anyone else nearby wanting to learn) to learn woodworking skills from basics through intermediate.
• Establish clear, efficient paths for processing materials.
• Produce scratch-built guitars (primarly electric, but also including other stringed instruments like bass, cigar box guitars, etc.) and guitar parts (necks, bodies, metal pieces, etc), furniture, custom frames, and much more.

So, here's the first draft layout of the basics. There's room for a car to park (indicated by the black rectangle on the floor) by pushing just a few things to the side, as well as a large set of storage units that are along the wall opposite the shop stuff, and some workout equipment that will be in the unused corner area near the main garage door. Materials storage and sizing take place right inside the main door, making handling of large sheets and other lumber *MUCH* improved over anything I've had before.

The machines in that picture are there to mainly to give an idea of what might go where. As part of the shop build, we're going to be building several machines / shop furniture items that I don't have yet: a bandsaw (made almost entirely of wood), a very stout 5'x2' workbench with leg and tail vises, an assembly table that is going to be parked behind the tablesaw for offcut-feeding as well as a central area for parts to collect and be assembled, a CNC machine, various mobile carts for other stations/machines, tool and supply storage (cabinet with drawers, wall units, etc), and a dust collection / air compressor system that will be built behind the garage to be fairly well sound and dust mitigated.

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, SD-1, TS9, Crybaby, MXR108, Algal clone, Carbon Copy deluxe

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

"Slow and steady gets to **** again eventually" :fap:

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:34 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Grimeshop Guitars... sounds like a plan!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:03 am
Crystal Lettucer

Here's a glimpse at where I'm coming from (old shop)

Tablesaw "station" (which means "horizontal hanging space for everything you can pile on", or workbench after I clear it, because no way I can find the *actual* workbench in this place). Looks like the dust collector is back there, too.

Here's some "storage"

Oh yeah... I knew I had a bench somewhere

Scrollsaw and a crap-ton of various sheet materials, including a MASSIVE road box that I got last year (from some undisclosed person for some undisclosed project yet to be flown)

Wood storage racks and my storage cabinet

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:08 am
Crystal Lettucer

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Grimeshop Guitars... sounds like a plan!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Can't play the damn things... may as well build 'em :beavis:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:08 am
Crystal Lettucer

After spending a LOT of time cleaning out, purging, and sorting all my dad's stuff, we finally got it to a good starting point, so that we could start moving all my stuff and incorporating it into the new space.

In my first (of many to come) shop move, I brought my prized cabinet tablesaw, scrollsaw, a few other machines, and a lot of boxes.

I had to do some real shoddy work to rig up 220V to power the saw and build something special for my son's Eagle project, but I did manage to pull it all off.

Luckily, my dad did provide garage using a subpanel that has plenty of juice for everything I'm cooking up.

On the other side of that, though, is that my dad was an engineer, and he liked to overcomplicate ANYTHING he could. All wiring to outlets, lights, etc in and around the garage building terminate in this box, and I have to figure out how to put the damn genie back in the bottle

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 am
Crystal Lettucer

This past weekend, we finally brought a huge amount of stuff from my shop, and are now working on how we're going to store everything. We brought the wood racks from the old shop

and installed them right near the main doorway. Sheet materials will lay in a to-be-build wood rack on their sides under the racks above.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:28 am
Crystal Lettucer

Hey, I can see the floor in that last pic - progress! Have you given any more consideration to my trap door idea? I'm telling you, it would be the ultimate space saver! :lol:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 am
Chief Executive Owl

That's great man. One of my all time favorite GGF threads was the build thread of your home studio. I'm looking forward to see what you'll do to this shop and what you'll make in it. You're a very talented guy so I'm sure it will be amazing. Also, good on you for getting your boys involved.

'78 Les Paul Pro/ '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic 3 pickup / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / '20 Gibson Les Paul Classic/ Kramer Pacer Classic x2 / Endres Tele / Fernandes FR-65/ Peavey Predator/ Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall DSL100H / Marshall Mosfet Lead 100/ Laney GH100L / Bluguitar Amp 1/ Ceriatone 2204, Ceriatone 1987 JEL modded.

Cabs
Marshall 1960A w 65w Creambacks/ Seismic 2x12 w V30s/ Laney 1x12 w Redback

Questions about the forum: please PM here. Can't access the forum? Need a password reset? Please access our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GuitarGearForumOfficial and message me through it.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

some funny looking amps in there

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:37 am
Hall of Fame Member

I'm diggin' it! Nice looking workspace!

After jointing, do you got to the table saw or to the thicknesser first? It seems that there is a workflow optimization that could happen there; maybe add/move an "outfeed" table near the jointer to hold the processed items.

saw(as a table) -> jointer -> table -> thicknesser -> saw

That would help keep you from putting processed items back with the unprocessed ones; remove one more thing to think about.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:44 am
Crystal Lettucer

Dude! Super cool and an awesome project.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:51 am
Crystal Lettucer

Man, that is just plain awesome. Great project for you and the final product will be a joy to work in.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 am
Crystal Lettucer

itchyfingers wrote:
Hey, I can see the floor in that last pic - progress! Have you given any more consideration to my trap door idea? I'm telling you, it would be the ultimate space saver! :lol:

I'm drawing a blank... trap door? :hmm:

GuitarBilly wrote:
That's great man. One of my all time favorite GGF threads was the build thread of your home studio. I'm looking forward to see what you'll do to this shop and what you'll make in it. You're a very talented guy so I'm sure it will be amazing. Also, good on you for getting your boys involved.

You are too kind. There's a chance that we're gonna build a second story on the garage for a new studio, so there may be another build article, yet :thu:

fretless wrote:

Yeah, and they pull a whole lotta more juice than the typical Marshall stack, too.

jgreenwd wrote:

After jointing, do you got to the table saw or to the thicknesser first? It seems that there is a workflow optimization that could happen there; maybe add/move an "outfeed" table near the jointer to hold the processed items.

That would help keep you from putting processed items back with the unprocessed ones; remove one more thing to think about.

Definitely gonna have to see how this all shakes out. Can't wait to try out the various ways I can process things in there. Also, the assembly table (behind the tablesaw) will probably become a catch-all for parts as they're being worked.

JerEvil wrote:

Thanks, Jer :thu:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:17 am
Crystal Lettucer

Boomer wrote:
itchyfingers wrote:

I'm drawing a blank... trap door? :hmm:

GuitarBilly wrote:

You are too kind. There's a chance that we're gonna build a second story on the garage for a new studio, so there may be another build article, yet :thu:

fretless wrote:

Yeah, and they pull a whole lotta more juice than the typical Marshall stack, too.

jgreenwd wrote:

Definitely gonna have to see how this all shakes out. Can't wait to try out the various ways I can process things in there. Also, the assembly table (behind the tablesaw) will probably become a catch-all for parts as they're being worked.

JerEvil wrote:

Thanks, Jer :thu:

Yarbicus wrote:
Man, that is just plain awesome. Great project for you and the final product will be a joy to work in.

Definitely planning to make my dad proud :thu:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome, bro! I wish you much enjoyment and success!

Steve

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Hell yeah.

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:57 am
Hall of Fame Member

What a great project!

:rawk: :thu:

90% of it, is half mental...

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:32 pm
Crystal Lettucer

sah5150 wrote:
Awesome, bro! I wish you much enjoyment and success!

Steve

I'm merely following in the footsteps of giants

...and I consider you (along with Bob, EJ, Mort, Nobody, and plenty others I'm not remembering right now) to be in that group :hi5:

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
Hell yeah.

I'm expecting you and your kids to be coming over for some woodshop lessons :thu:

jamminjohn wrote:
What a great project!

:rawk: :thu:

:usa:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:35 pm
Crystal Lettucer

So... first "real" project in the new shop. We're in dire need of as much storage/organization as possible for the MANY tools and supplies that my dad and I have amassed over the years. I've been living with a shop that's never functional until I spend an hour or two clearing things out of the way, and I'm done with that life. We need a compact multi-purpose workbench with a lot of drawers as a main workcenter, which will make building everything else possible.

Dad built a pretty unique mobile bench with three LARGE cabinet bays, which held his big router stuff, a planer, and an oscillating spindle sander. He built it with pull-out shelves that let you bring the heavy machine forward before lifting it out to use. On the top of that, he placed leftover butcher block material from the kitchen remodel (which he did) for a workbench surface over two of the cabinet bays and then a stepped-down platform to hold various machines as they were needed. Nice concept - sure made those machines invisible, but moving the thing felt like trying to steer a battleship, and the thing was always piled up with stuff and no way of keeping it usable. Might have worked well for him, but it's just not what we need in the new shop.

Rather than tearing it down and getting rid of it, I decided to repurpose some leftover drawers that he'd built into other cabinets (and we tore out). With 16 identical large drawers available, I planned out how to retrofit two of the cabinet bays in the battleship (after removing one), so that we could turn the whole thing into a manageable rolling toolbox/workbench.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures of said battleship, but you can see evidence in these pics

Here's the carcass of the whole thing, with the doors removed (along with all the crap on top and machines and slide-out platforms from inside) before we disassembled the end cabinet we didn't need.

Stack o' drawers

In this view, we're relocating / upgrading the casters (I KNOW that these are good ones - they come from a road box meant for serious worldwide touring). You can see how my dad joined the offcuts from the kitchen counters on the underside

We had to remove the face frame from the front (OVER OVER OVER-engineered!!!) and trim the back framwork to allow room for drawers and hardware. The back will have to be extended a few inches, but that's cool. The face frame will be modded so it will fit around the drawers and be re-fitted to the carcass.

You can see a bit of the face frame sitting on the left of this pic

And here's how it sits right now. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far, and my mom is absolutely THRILLED that we were able to repurpose all these things that he originally built into something entirely useful for us.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Couple more pics, to get current...

g'bye, left-side cabinet <sniff>

The machines displaced by the cabinet rebuild. Never fear, they will each be mounted in/on new tables & fixtures.

The back-side of the cabinet, showing the extra depth of the drawers & hardware that'll be covered later.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:35 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Awesome. Now that we're neighbors I know where I'm going for woodworking projects. :thu:

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:10 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Damn. Once you get it straightened out and set up, that'll be a killer shop.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:11 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Also I'm loving your son a.k.a. slave labor in the pic :lol:

When I was a kid my mom would tell me to do some housework stuff and when I'd complain she'd say "Why do you think I had a son?". It bothered me then but now I really appreciate her showing me THE WAY.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I love seeing stuff like this.

Gibson les paul Traditional, les Paul signature T, U.S strat, Japanese Strat , 1970s Greco Tele, Charvel So-Cal Pro Mod style 1, Fernandes TEJ-85, 70's Greco tele. Marshall JVM 205c (Dan Gower modded), JCM900 SL-X, some pedals, Yamaha THR10

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn9mDZX16nm60_-wcgZg9Vg/videos
Website https://www.guitarsmusicandtech.com/

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:27 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome brother! Most of my stationary wood working tools came from my dad. I added some vintage items too because they really don't build them like they used to. My current shop is a mess because it's in a 100 year old converted cow barn with low ceilings in half of it and a dirt floor. The back half would be great if I poured a floor in in but the roof needs to come off first and be rebuilt.

Your plans look killer and I'm enjoying watching you make it your own.

Last edited by Riffraff on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next