Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Overhauling the 66 Bassman 
Crystal Lettucer

Picked up my new (to me) 1966 Fender Bassman this week. As some of you know, I've been after a "birth year" ('67) amp for a while now. Even tried to buy TurboPablo's '67 Bassman three years ago, but real life issues intervened... now I'm back on my feet and found a really good deal on this guy at the local Guitar Center last month.

Not exactly a "birth year" amp, but technically I was around for the later part of 1966, so I'm calling it good :D

First shot at home

The amp is in really good condition, with some scuffs on the tolex on one side and the usual rusty chrome bits on the metal trim that are to be expected with something that's as old as I am. I couldn't ask for the control panel and baffle to be in better condition, and the amp works well - with the usual noise issues that come from filter caps needing replacement.

Looking inside, it appears that only one mod has been made in all that time - the negative feedback wire has been clipped (and left to dangle) at the ext speaker jack, which (as I understand it) makes the amp a bit more raw sounding, with added gain. That's going to be changed. Everything else looks like it did when it rolled out of Fullerton 54 years ago - just a bit dirtier.

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H
  • PLX GABion, SD-1, TS9, Crybaby, MXR108, Algal clone, Carbon Copy deluxe

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

"Slow and steady gets to **** again eventually" :fap:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:32 am
Crystal Lettucer

Plans are to first get it in good working order: general cleaning, replacing the 2-prong cord and all electrolytic capacitors, along with the dropping and bleeder resistors in the dog house and any other resistors that are suspect / out of range.

I'll also be reverting the circuit in some areas to the AA864 revision (negative feedback loop, bias, phase inverter, removing plate resistor bypass caps, etc).

This will give me the chance to evaluate what I have, relative to what I'm wanting out of it. I'd like to be able to get some decent Fender cleans out of the Normal channel and will probably be doing something with the Bass channel to make it a whole lot more guitar-friendly.

Here's the first clip - it's pretty loud in the room. During the clip, I'm kicking on/off a Tube Screamer and Deja Vibe.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf8Xe532_yI[/youtube]

Gear
  • CEOwLP (Sig T), Carvin DC135, Westone Spectrum SX (guitar) & GT (bass), Squier strat
  • '66 Bassman, '61 Magnatone, Mark III, 1960AX, homebrew 2x12 (C90 / EVM12L Thiele), HX Stomp, JCA50H

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
"That's the second boomery bro on this forum I've helped seduce to the greenside." :evil:

Last edited by Tortuga on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:38 am
Crystal Lettucer

For the record, you should never open up and mess with electronics unless you have a good idea of what you're doing. Tube amps operate on hundreds of volts that gets stored and ready to kick your ass into next week (that is, if you live) if you touch the wrong thing (and there's a bunch of those "things" just waiting to say 'hi'). You'll notice that I have a red jumper wire attached to one of those "things" and connecting it to ground, in order to assure that the capacitors are drained and stay that way. I always use my meter to double-check, because the draining doesn't happen all at once.

tl;dr - if you can't tell me how to work safely on potentially dangerous circuitry, don't even think about opening your amp.

Gut shots. I've verified that the circuit is an AB165 (despite the tube chart showing AA864):

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Last edited by Tortuga on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:04 am
Crystal Lettucer

Bias control and phase inverter. The Bias control is currently configured to balance what's delivered to each power tube, apparently to deal with quality concerns (mismatches) in what was being produced at the time. It will be rebuilt as a proper bias (voltage) control, as tube mismatches are pretty well nonexistent these days. The phase inverter will be similarly reverted to AA864, including those blue molded caps, which (provided they test ok) may be reused in the Bass channel tone stack.

Electrical input. Replacement of the old 2-prong (non-grounded) cord and removal of the unneeded 2-prong accessory outlet, ground switch, and death cap.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:05 am
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Your son has excellent playing skills!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:39 pm
Crystal Lettucer

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Your son has excellent playing skills!!! :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Yep - I wish I could claim responsibility, but he's pretty much passed me by :heart:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:42 pm
Crystal Lettucer

My other son giving me a hand. He's eager to learn.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Started on the electrolytic capacitors last night, which are well past their 10-20 year expected lifetime. The three cardboard barrel components being pulled are cathode bypass capacitors. The larger ones are double-packed (2 per tube) - 5 total are used in this circuit.

...all removed and cleaned off

...and fitted with new Sprague Atoms (much smaller size now)

Last maintenance replacement for the inside chassis - F&T bias supply capacitor

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Finished up the night with the main filter caps in the dog house. After doing this on our silverface Pro Reverb a couple weeks ago, I thought this would be easy, but the "better", more labor- (and cost-) intensive way these were built in the 60s doesn't lend things to simple heat, pull, and replace like we experienced before...

This was my first clue that something was amiss... we (incorrectly) assumed that this cap may have been changed out sometime during the amp's lifetime, but I'm thinking otherwise now

After trying to desolder and lift one (as we did, easily, on the Pro Reverb), I realized that they used the uncut lead underneath as a conductor to it's neighbor, making clean removal nearly impossible, and would require more work to replace. As much as I hate cutting old parts like this out, I determined that we'd cut the leads near the part and use the remainder (sticking up) as a binding post to solder to. That worked ok on the other side with the cathode bypass grounding and the bias supply caps.

This is where we ended up. New set of F&T's ready to go. Will be tackling this job tonight, and hopefully get some solid testing in before stopping.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Last edited by Tortuga on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:13 pm
Crystal Lettucer

awwwwl yeah

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

That's awesome - I love these kinds of threads :thu:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:16 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Nothing wrong with snipping out old caps and reusing their leads.
My Sunn Solaurs had two, old caps on the tremelo circuit board that needed replacing.
It would have required unsoldering 8 or so leads and removing the board to properly replace the two caps... to save time, I just snipped the suckers out and soldered the new ones to the old leads.... easy peasy!

What brand are those deep purple caps for the dog house? They look nice!

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm
Crystal Lettucer

ajaxlepinski wrote:
My Sunn Solaurs had two, old caps on the tremelo circuit board that needed replacing.
It would have required unsoldering 8 or so leads and removing the board to properly replace the two caps... to save time, I just snipped the suckers out and soldered the new ones to the old leads.... easy peasy!

F&T - I've read that they're supposed to be better than Sprague Atoms... They don't make smaller ones for cathodes yet, so that's why the brand difference.

BTW - I recorded some baseline clips with my LP, with about as much K-CHING as I could muster out of it. It's definitely a flubby beast before surgery - hoping to get it tightened up with these new caps. I'll try to get the clips up this afternoon.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Saw this on FB but will comment here as well.

1. Your kid can play! Good job Dad!
2. Looks like a fun project and sounds great! :rawk:
3. I could never get a birth year amp because they weren't making the 5150 in 1972 :cry: :lol:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:01 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Do you have a solder sucker of some type? They come in real handy when replacing parts. Sometimes I'll basically just re-use the existing solder but sometimes it's nice to get it all out of there and start over.

I'm really enjoying your threads. Thanks for all the pics & dialogue :cool:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

JiveTurkey wrote:

3. I could never get a birth year amp because they weren't making the 5150 in 1972 :cry: :lol:

That's my birth year as well. We gettin' old! Image

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm
Crystal Lettucer

G-SPACE wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:

F&T - I've read that they're supposed to be better than Sprague Atoms... They don't make smaller ones for cathodes yet, so that's why the brand difference.

BTW - I recorded some baseline clips with my LP, with about as much K-CHING as I could muster out of it. It's definitely a flubby beast before surgery - hoping to get it tightened up with these new caps. I'll try to get the clips up this afternoon.

Try it though your EV 12L to make sure its not the speaker that's flubbing.
My Ceriaton Model Tee flubbed out the 412 Crate cabinet at the recording studio that I go to.
At a music store, I tried a Electro Harmoix Mig 50 (Sovtec amp clone) on a Budda 412 and the speakers flubbed like mad.

Walt wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:20 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Man, I am just smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to not electrocute myself. :lol:

I will continue to let the tech take the zap for me, but I love this thread so far, and I'm excited to see you guys finish these two amps up!

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I never hear anyone mention it but you can actually read the charge that the caps are holding. Simple as putting your volt meter across a polarized cap. And when you put a jumper that has a series resistor on it, let’s say 10k, from the B+ rail to ground you can watch the voltage drain out to 0 on your meter.

That might be common knowledge but it never or rarely gets mentioned :idk:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Oh yeah.... The Boy Can Play!!!!!
Amp is pretty easy on the eyes too! Congrats and enjoy the journey :rawk:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:50 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I've really enjoyed following along with the other rebuild and now this one. Keep the updates coming!

G-SPACE wrote:

Not exactly a "birth year" amp, but technically I was around for the later part of 1966, so I'm calling it good :D

You've started a new fad: now everyone will be looking for conception-year gear in addition to the birth-year stuff.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Crystal Lettucer

jgreenwd wrote:
I've really enjoyed following along with the other rebuild and now this one. Keep the updates coming!

G-SPACE wrote:

You've started a new fad: now everyone will be looking for conception-year gear in addition to the birth-year stuff.

:lol:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:17 pm
Crystal Lettucer

JiveTurkey wrote:

:hug:
mortatone wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:

2. Looks like a fun project and sounds great! :rawk: :zomby:

That's my birth year as well. We gettin' old! Image

:zomby:

itchyfingers wrote:
Man, I am just smart enough to know that I am not smart enough to not electrocute myself. :lol:

I will continue to let the tech take the zap for me, but I love this thread so far, and I'm excited to see you guys finish these two amps up!

:pray:

jhall wrote:
Oh yeah.... The Boy Can Play!!!!!
Amp is pretty easy on the eyes too! Congrats and enjoy the journey :rawk:

:hi5:

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:05 pm
Crystal Lettucer

mortatone wrote:
Do you have a solder sucker of some type? They come in real handy when replacing parts. Sometimes I'll basically just re-use the existing solder but sometimes it's nice to get it all out of there and start over.

I'm really enjoying your threads. Thanks for all the pics & dialogue :cool:

Yep - have a couple (bulb & plunger). I hear you on cleaning out the holes - just kinda difficult sometimes.

ajaxlepinski wrote:
G-SPACE wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:

Try it though your EV 12L to make sure its not the speaker that's flubbing.
My Ceriaton Model Tee flubbed out the 412 Crate cabinet at the recording studio that I go to.
At a music store, I tried a Electro Harmoix Mig 50 (Sovtec amp clone) on a Budda 412 and the speakers flubbed like mad.

Oh - many speakers will be tried... just you wait :thu:

For now, I'm going to stay with the same speaker pair so I can tell if improvements are being made. I should be establishing a baseline to work from tomorrow morning.

mortatone wrote:
I never hear anyone mention it but you can actually read the charge that the caps are holding. Simple as putting your volt meter across a polarized cap. And when you put a jumper that has a series resistor on it, let’s say 10k, from the B+ rail to ground you can watch the voltage drain out to 0 on your meter.

That might be common knowledge but it never or rarely gets mentioned :idk:

Yep - I have played with checking various places where capacitors live in the circuit, and it's pretty cool seeing bleeder resistors do their work. I usually don't try to tell people how to discharge, though, because I don't want someone getting injured based on instructions that I may or may not convey accurately. Ultimately, I'm not technically qualified to be training people and am seriously risk-adverse.

....that, and they can go watch the same experts I did on YouTube.

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Thanks all for the kind words & support

Gear

DIY

Ostinato Rubato wrote:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next