Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Gotoh Floyd Rose 
Chief Executive Owl

Cole sent me a black Gotoh Floyd the other day (thank again man!!! :hug: ) so I could change the hardware to black on my USA Soloist. I started doing it last night but halfway through the process I changed my mind and decided the chrome actually looked better. Do you know when you have an idea in your mind of how something is going to look but when you actually do it, it's not the same? So yeah, that happened.

Anyway, I decided to put the Gotoh trem in my MIJ Dinky to replace the stock Jackson licensed trem. Holy shit, what an upgrade!!! That guitar was very dark and dull sounding and the Gotoh Floyd completely changed that! The tone is now punchy and lively, without doing anything to the pickups or electronic. I didn't realize a bridge could make THAT much of a difference in tone. I knew the trem action was going to be smoother and more stable (and it is) but I didn't expect it to have that much effect on the tone. That guitar was on the chopping block and now it's definitely a keeper. Learned a new lesson here.

I'm starting to think that Gotoh makes best hardware out there. My Les Paul Classic with Gotoh tuners is the most stable (tuning) Les Paul I have. Now this bridge just woke the Dinky's tone up. It's probably not a coincidence.

2003 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
2005 Gibson SG Special
97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
2000 Jackson SL1 Soloist USA
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Laney IRT 1x12 cab
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3
Tech 21 British
Tech 21 Blonde

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
Cole sent me a black Gotoh Floyd the other day (thank again man!!! :hug: ) so I could change the hardware to black on my USA Soloist. I started doing it last night but halfway through the process I changed my mind and decided the chrome actually looked better. Do you know when you have an idea in your mind of how something is going to look but when you actually do it, it's not the same? So yeah, that happened.

Anyway, I decided to put the Gotoh trem in my MIJ Dinky to replace the stock Jackson licensed trem. Holy shit, what an upgrade!!! That guitar was very dark and dull sounding and the Gotoh Floyd completely changed that! The tone is now punchy and lively, without doing anything to the pickups or electronic. I didn't realize a bridge could make THAT much of a difference in tone. I knew the trem action was going to be smoother and more stable (and it is) but I didn't expect it to have that much effect on the tone. That guitar was on the chopping block and now it's definitely a keeper. Learned a new lesson here.

I'm starting to think that Gotoh makes best hardware out there. My Les Paul Classic with Gotoh tuners is the most stable (tuning) Les Paul I have. Now this bridge just woke the Dinky's tone up. It's probably not a coincidence.

Do you know what model bridge?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:04 pm
Crystal Lettucer

GuitarBilly wrote:

DING DING DING! I agree. I've been saying this for a few years. It always sounds good. It always stays in tune. The price is right.

I don't think I've built a Warmoth without Gotoh tuners at least. I'm starting to think all of their bridges sound better than their blingy counterparts that cost twice as much. (I'm looking at you, Callaham).

My Album For Sale!

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Gotoh Floyds are excellent. Most likely a GE-1996T. I believe those were what EBMM used on the Axis for the longest time too.

TurboPablo wrote:
STOP FAT SHAMING LES PAUL'S. BE MORE INCLUSIVE.

I have a lot of guitars. Let's just put it that way.
Metropoulos Metro-Plex
Egnater Seminar Boutikit 50 Watt Head
Avatar Vintage 2x12 w/ Creamback H75s
Marshall 1960A w/ Greenbacks
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 2x12 Combo
Crate GX-130C
My Band's Music Page: https://www.reverbnation.com/zerobelowphoenix

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Gotoh bridges are excellent. I'm a big fan of their hardware. The bridge on my Telebird is excellent. Price is always right too.

I still prefer the Hipshot tuners on my builds to the Gotoh ones on my Les Paul but they're both excellent.

Guitars:
Endres Offset
Endres Offset Les Paul
Endres Telebird
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
1978 Greco ES335
Balaguer Goliath Bass

Amplification:
VHT/Fryette Pittbull 50/CL
Marshall JCM900 2500
Vox AC30
Ashdown MAG420

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Definitey chrome on that soloist. But it happens. Many of my builds change as I’m in the process. Go in with an idea and it often changes as shit takes shape. But the more I do it the better my vision at he outset is

Gotoh Floyd is by far best value. And it’s quality is great. On my personal guitars I usually use the Schaller Floyd or OFR, but I have t bought a new one OFR in Years. As both the Schaller and Gotoh are cheaper Altho it appears the Schaller has jacked up their prices. I usually buy Gotoh for any build that I do to sell or I recommend to someone I’m building for. It’s def the most stable and the smoothest feeling when actually USINg the bar.

Personally I find they are the brightest of the 3 I mentioned. Not in a bad way and the perfect answer for a dark sounding guitar. But even with the Schaller and it’s little issues I just find it’s the best sounding for my tastes

Like vinyl? Wanna spend some money? Maybe buy this! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38142

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Interesting. I have a Schaller Floyd on a guitar I never play anymore and though about swapping out the MIK Floyd Special that is on my RR24. No experience with the Gotoh stuff that I can remember.

I have some gear and junk...

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://dunkysndemos.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I Have wanted to try the GE-1996T. for years. I always hear it is the best replacement Floyd. Very much like the Ibanez Edge Tremelos (which I think Gotoh made for Ibanez).

I would try one, but most of my guitars have the Floyd FRT-1000, which seems pretty good overall. I havent had a reason to replace them... except for their POS bar.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I have an Ibanez RG and I threw one in and man what an upgrade in tuning stability and comfort.
I wasn't using guitar at all and I thought about putting this bridge in and giving the guitar to my nephew for him to begin on but I'm thinking now I may have to find him something else. This thing is sounding real good and may be the best feeling bridge I have.
Only problem is, is the block sticks up a bit high, so high I can't use the back cover. Any idea what size block I need for this?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:05 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Kanigget wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

Do you know what model bridge?

I believe it's the GE-1996T. Cole can confirm it.
Shask wrote:
I Have wanted to try the GE-1996T. for years. I always hear it is the best replacement Floyd. Very much like the Ibanez Edge Tremelos (which I think Gotoh made for Ibanez).

I would try one, but most of my guitars have the Floyd FRT-1000, which seems pretty good overall. I havent had a reason to replace them... except for their POS bar.

Yeah the bar on the Gotoh is really cool. I love how you can adjust the tension exactly with the set screw.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Laney IRT 1x12 cab

Effects:
Boss MS-3
Tech 21 British
Tech 21 Blonde

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Executive Owl

lester wrote:
I have an Ibanez RG and I threw one in and man what an upgrade in tuning stability and comfort.
I wasn't using guitar at all and I thought about putting this bridge in and giving the guitar to my nephew for him to begin on but I'm thinking now I may have to find him something else. This thing is sounding real good and may be the best feeling bridge I have.
Only problem is, is the block sticks up a bit high, so high I can't use the back cover. Any idea what size block I need for this?

Best bet is to measure the block you have now. Normally a 32 or 35 will fit, but every guitar is different.

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Laney IRT 1x12 cab

Effects:
Boss MS-3
Tech 21 British
Tech 21 Blonde

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Awesome to hear Billy! It is such an awesome unit. If I ever had a choice in which could be put on a guitar, it would be the Gotoh GE-1996T :thu: It definitely has a refined feel in action and feel under my hand compared to the clunkier OFR. Both units are great, but I like the Gotoh more.

It is that exact model, the GE-1996T.

Cole

Hughes & Kettner Duotone, Puretone, TriAmp MKII
Laney IRT120H
Peters Halo/Hydra
Rivera Knucklehead 100, Knucklehead Tré, M100
VHT Pittbull 100/CL

Cabs
Budda 4x12 (Jensen Nighthawk)
Hughes & Kettner CC412 (Vintage 30)
Hughes & Kettner CC412 (UK Greenback)
Rivera K412T (Jensen Electric Lighnting)
Sour Mash 1936 (Eminence Legend V12)
Splawn 2x12 (Eminence CV-75)
Splawn 2x12 (Fane Medusa 100)
Splawn 2x12 (UK G12T-75)
VHT FatBottom 2x12 (P50E)

Last edited by colejustesen on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Schaller makes the best hardware out there. I'll never agree to anything else. Gotoh... the good stuff (which i believe is all made by Schaller, like the OFR is) is great stuff for sure, but they have their cheapo line too, which really screws them i think.

That said, I like the Schaller trem more than the OFR, even though i know Schaller makes both. Pretty sure the Gotoh trem is made by Schaller as well. I fond both to be better than the OFR in terms of overall tone. I prefer the Schaller branded one because of the shorter locking screws popping out the back of the trem

The Jackson branded Floyd's are potted garbage.

My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Lickliter Marshall thing
Helix Floor

Lot's of Charvel's and Fender's

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 pm
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
Schaller makes the best hardware out there. I'll never agree to anything else. Gotoh... the good stuff (which i believe is all made by Schaller, like the OFR is) is great stuff for sure, but they have their cheapo line too, which really screws them i think.

That said, I like the Schaller trem more than the OFR, even though i know Schaller makes both. Pretty sure the Gotoh trem is made by Schaller as well. I fond both to be better than the OFR in terms of overall tone. I prefer the Schaller branded one because of the shorter locking screws popping out the back of the trem

I’m with ya on most of that, but I actually don’t think the Schaller’s are best made. There are issues I find with them specific. Namely there is not a consistent spacing of their saddles. I e had more than one Schaller have the saddle vibrate while playing, because there is play between other saddle or the string lock screws are vibrating where they extend thru the plate. Also the bar ALWAYS coming loose and have to be constantly tightened. And yet I still use em most for some reason. The Gotoh has the most stable bar. Gotoh is def made in Japan. I guess that doesn’t mean there ain’t a Schaller plant there. Lol. I also have a Korean made Special with the same Screw down bar as the Schaller and it NEVER comes loose and this is the $90 special. Which look, I’m a fan of “quality” metal and I have had pot metal saddles crack on me but that lower grade Special sounds as good as any of the good Floyd’s I have so I’m a even a fan of those

Floyd Rose 1000 series, which is their high end now too are made in Korea as well and as far as I can tell are made the true old way with a bent steel plate. The one I had was awesome and if I were to have more time with it I’d wager it might actually be the best one these days.. the tolerances just seemed really spot on

Last edited by EndTime on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

I’m with ya on most of that, but I actually don’t think the Schaller’s are best made. There are issues I find with them specific. Namely there is not a consistent spacing of their saddles. I e had more than one Schaller have the saddle vibrate while playing, because there is play between other saddle or the string lock screws are vibrating where they extend thru the plate. And yet I still use em most for some reason. Gotoh is def made in Japan. I guess that doesn’t mean there ain’t a Schaller plant there. Lol.

Floyd Rose 1000 series, which is their high end now too are made in Korea and as far as I can tell are made the true old way with a bent steel plate. The one I had was awesome and if I were to have more time with it I’d wager it might actually be the best one these days.. the tolerances just seemed really spot on

Fair enough, but i have yet to have that issue with Schaller products. As far as them making Gotoh higher end stuff. that was something someone told me, but i was always skeptical of. That's why i always say that with a caveat. Schaller only makes the OFR for Floyd. The 1000, i thought was just a low profile Floyd, but i never really looked into it. I'm talking about the OFR specifically.

My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Lickliter Marshall thing
Helix Floor

Lot's of Charvel's and Fender's

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:02 pm
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

I’m with ya on most of that, but I actually don’t think the Schaller’s are best made. There are issues I find with them specific. Namely there is not a consistent spacing of their saddles. I e had more than one Schaller have the saddle vibrate while playing, because there is play between other saddle or the string lock screws are vibrating where they extend thru the plate. And yet I still use em most for some reason. Gotoh is def made in Japan. I guess that doesn’t mean there ain’t a Schaller plant there. Lol.

Floyd Rose 1000 series, which is their high end now too are made in Korea and as far as I can tell are made the true old way with a bent steel plate. The one I had was awesome and if I were to have more time with it I’d wager it might actually be the best one these days.. the tolerances just seemed really spot on

Fair enough, but i have yet to have that issue with Schaller products. As far as them making Gotoh higher end stuff. that was something someone told me, but i was always skeptical of. That's why i always say that with a caveat. Schaller only makes the OFR for Floyd. The 1000, i thought was just a low profile Floyd, but i never really looked into it. I'm talking about the OFR specifically.
i think there is only the 1000 Pro from Korea. But there is also a “regular “ German made pro. I think they are manufactured slightly different, but both use the same materials and the Korean made has original string spacing. Be the slightly more narrow space on the German

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm
clipless

How do you say Gotoh??

Got oh
Go too
Gah toe
Go toe

??????

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:30 pm
Chief Executive Owl

Goh- toh if you want pronounce the correct Japanese way. But I guess we can say it anyway we want :lol:

2005 Gibson SG Special
1997 Jackson Dinky MIJ
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Laney IRT 1x12 cab

Effects:
Boss MS-3
Tech 21 British
Tech 21 Blonde

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

EndTime wrote:
But even with the Schaller and it’s little issues I just find it’s the best sounding for my tastes

I definitely prefer the sound of a Schaller floyd over an OFR too.

I've never owned a Gotoh Floyd unless the Ibanez Edge counts (those are made by Gotoh, right?)

I do love the original Edge :fap:

I also love the Gotoh Magnum locking tuners....no dumb knobs to fuck with

Also agree that the Floyd Rose Special is a great trem and a killer value

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Hall of Fame Member

EndTime wrote:
atrox wrote:

I’m with ya on most of that, but I actually don’t think the Schaller’s are best made. There are issues I find with them specific. Namely there is not a consistent spacing of their saddles. I e had more than one Schaller have the saddle vibrate while playing, because there is play between other saddle or the string lock screws are vibrating where they extend thru the plate. Also the bar ALWAYS coming loose and have to be constantly tightened. And yet I still use em most for some reason. The Gotoh has the most stable bar. Gotoh is def made in Japan. I guess that doesn’t mean there ain’t a Schaller plant there. Lol. I also have a Korean made Special with the same Screw down bar as the Schaller and it NEVER comes loose and this is the $90 special. Which look, I’m a fan of “quality” metal and I have had pot metal saddles crack on me but that lower grade Special sounds as good as any of the good Floyd’s I have so I’m a even a fan of those

Floyd Rose 1000 series, which is their high end now too are made in Korea as well and as far as I can tell are made the true old way with a bent steel plate. The one I had was awesome and if I were to have more time with it I’d wager it might actually be the best one these days.. the tolerances just seemed really spot on

I have the FRT-1000 on like 4 or 5 guitars, and I have had very little issues with them other than needing to buy a new bar for 2 of them. They started doing the unscrewing all the time thing. I got a Schaller bar replacement for one of them, and recently got another, but ended up getting the Special bar instead. It was funky also, but then I learned the ball-point-pin-spring trick which has helped dramatically. I have had all kinds of Floyds through the years, and I have no complaints on the 1000. It seems to be the go-to on the ~$1000 MIK guitars. I would like to try the Gotoh, but I just haven't had a reason to replace any of my 1000 Floyds.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:07 pm
Hall of Fame Member

The only stock trem I cared for on Jackson/Charvel was the Takeuchi bridge. 6's 580's, etc always got rid of em. Actually the same with the stock bridge on the MGT. Swapped it out and was quite happy.

Guitars: MK Patriot Q, Jackson DKMGT, G&L Legacy Tribute, Les Paul Studio, Charvel 375 Deluxe

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]