Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Home recording domination - Grammys 
Hall of Fame Member

atrox wrote:
I'm not a young kid. I'm a 46 year old, not depressed man who listens to extreme metal and 70's prog. I adore 95% of her shit and i think she is extremely talented

people just like different things

True that. Its cool. She seems like a nice person, I have no problem with her. Maybe I'll come to like her stuff eventually.

Aside from that, I haven't found a good video of Aerosmith's performance last night. Was it as bad as people are saying? I saw a couple of very short clips and it sounded like Aerosmith always sounds live to me. I hear people using words like "disaster" and "total fail". Was it really that bad?

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am
Chief Executive Owl

I like her music quite a bit. Well "their" music since her brother is a big part of it. I agree Bad Guy is not the best representation of the album.
As far as home recordings, this could be the exception or it could be the start of a new trend, time will tell. But without a doubt home studios are getting better, especially if your music doesn't require mic'ing real drums or guitars etc... if it's mostly electronic and the only thing going through a mic are vocals, then yeah you can get pro quality at home for sure. Something like Reason or FL or even a hardware synth will give you pro quality sounds easily.
Rock bands have it harder since they have to actually mic everything up etc... or course you can go with modeling and something like Superior Drummer played by an e-kit but IMHO, that's not all the way there yet. You can get good results that way but it will be different than a major production. But for electronic/sampled music, it's all there.

'78 Les Paul Standard / '88 Gibson SG 90 / '97 Gibson Les Paul Studio P90 / '00 Gibson Les Paul Raw Power / '04 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd Edition 3 pickup / '05 Gibson SG Special / '13 Gibson Les Paul Traditional / Jackson SL1 Soloist USA / Jackson SLX Soloist / Kramer Pacer Classic / Fender Showmaster Celtic / Ibanez Artcore / Fender Strat / Endres Tele / Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB / JCA 100 LTD / Marshall 1960A w greenbacks / Laney IRT 1x12 cab w WGS BL80

Effects:
Boss MS-3 / EHX Cock Fight / Boss SD-1

Rack 1:
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Peavey Classic 120

Rack 2 (DI):
ENGL E530 / TC G Major 2 / Palmer PGA 05

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

Questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
I like her music quite a bit. Well "their" music since her brother is a big part of it. I agree Bad Guy is not the best representation of the album.
As far as home recordings, this could be the exception or it could be the start of a new trend, time will tell. But without a doubt home studios are getting better, especially if your music doesn't require mic'ing real drums or guitars etc... if it's mostly electronic and the only thing going through a mic are vocals, then yeah you can get pro quality at home for sure. Something like Reason or FL or even a hardware synth will give you pro quality sounds easily.
Rock bands have it harder since they have to actually mic everything up etc... or course you can go with modeling and something like Superior Drummer played by an e-kit but IMHO, that's not all the way there yet. You can get good results that way but it will be different than a major production. But for electronic/sampled music, it's all there.

It doesn't hurt that the two were encouraged to write music their entire lives. Finneas probably worked his ass off to get good at his passion. His whole "10,000 hours" mantra. Home schooled. never pushed, but allowed to do their thing. In fact, the house rule was if they were writing or recording (this was before they became famous in any way), they didn't have to go to bed at any time. The parents slept in their living room, so the two could have their own spaces to do their thing. They still live in that house and the parents still sleep in the living room. Finneas moved out a bit ago, but they kept his room as as their recording studio. Billie still lives in that house.

You can see what the setup is in this video

My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand

Last edited by atrox on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:47 am
clipless

Diddlybo wrote:
Aside from that, I haven't found a good video of Aerosmith's performance last night. Was it as bad as people are saying? I saw a couple of very short clips and it sounded like Aerosmith always sounds live to me. I hear people using words like "disaster" and "total fail". Was it really that bad?

When Aerosmith started the song, it was pretty cringe worthy. They looked older that dirt. Once they got rolling with Run DMC, I thought it was ok.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:52 am
Crystal Lettucer

The parents should get an award too , that is how it's done folks . They won big and deserve it . Congrats kids !

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:
I listen to a few college radio stations and a commercial station that plays indie music.
95% of the music sounds like it was recorded at home - shitty vocals, shitty vocal melodies, simple arrangements and boring music.
The other 5% is actually pretty decent.
Record companies no longer have to spend millions on concept albums - these days, they simply comb through the thousands of recordings sent to them by home producers and reap the profits.
Eventually, they strike gold.

I like Billy Eilish but, 7 Grammys??? Nah.
Hopefully, she will take a lesson from Amy Weinhouse.
[/quote]
I hate to say it, but I had never heard of her before this thread. I had a really hard time getting through this song, but I don't exactly think I'm her target audience. Kudos to those kids who are doing this at home and doing it well enough to make a living. I haven't followed the grammys for decades, but hearing one newcomer winning 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:08 pm
Hall of Fame Member

i mean, we all kinda fuck around with 4 tracks or computers or whatever until we make records. those folks made use of logic and a pair of solid mics and did something that appeals to a new generation. i can't fault 'em. i'm not a big fan of their tools... but it's no different than me being a 16 year old kid in 1987 and fucking with cheapass guitars and a tascam. they just did it better and got popular.

her music's not my bag, but my wife likes it and it's not really bad at all- and they really don't interview like they're douchey industry types OR people who're 'assaulting the ivory tower of the record industry'... more like, they're just doing it and enjoying the ride and still kicking it's ass. love it.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:19 pm
Hall of Fame Member

PeteLaramee wrote:
I hate to say it, but I had never heard of her before this thread. I had a really hard time getting through this song, but I don't exactly think I'm her target audience. Kudos to those kids who are doing this at home and doing it well enough to make a living. I haven't followed the grammys for decades, but hearing one newcomer winning 7 doesn't surprise me at all.

I'll keep saying it. this song is not indicative of her style at all. She is actually quite melodic and chill. Not a belter for sure. She has a very relaxed form of singing, but man, she can do it well.

Helix Floor

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
She's 18, right? So, is it OK to say that I heard she looks great in a bikini?

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Hall of Fame Member

ajaxlepinski wrote:

She did say the thing she is most proud of is her boobs. :idk:

Helix Floor

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:19 pm
clipless

atrox wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:

Doesn't dress like it......

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:24 pm
Hall of Fame Member

clipless bumper wrote:
atrox wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:

Doesn't dress like it......

Personally, she ain't nothing to lust over. i just like her tunes.

But... Just takes a quick look at instagram and she has a couple pics from hawaii on there

Helix Floor

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm
clipless

She's no Greta Thunberg......

:cop:

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:32 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
clipless bumper wrote:
She's no Greta Thunberg......

:cop:

:lol:

Actually, with makeup and a tight outfit, I bet Ms. Eilish would raise more than eyebrows.
I give her props for not flaunting it... it puts the focus on the music, rather than the boobs.

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm
Crystal Lettucer

She is a pretty girl . Every body is getting behind here , could be the next Madonna i.e. long career .

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:48 pm
clipless

fretless wrote:
She is a pretty girl . Every body is getting behind her..........

:eek:

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Hall of Fame Member

fretless wrote:
She is a pretty girl . Every body is getting behind here , could be the next Madonna i.e. long career .

She is. It's just that she is 18 and i am not. :D

Helix Floor

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Crystal Lettucer

TOOL should have swept the whole thing.

They have the best produced album ever made and even though I'm a fanboy I don't make that statement lightly.

CS Deja Vibe mkii > SupaTrem Jr. > Xotic Wah > OCD v2.0 > Fulldrive 2 mkii > TB Jailed Pitchblack > (Alter Ego x4)

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 pm
clipless

funny - I don't recall them even being nominated.........

n/m - pre-show, they won for Best Metal Performance :freak:

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Diddlybo wrote:

It was pretty fucking bad, especially when Run DMC came out. They were stomping all over each others vocal parts and it pretty much sounded like a trainwreck

I assume this is from the Grammys anyway....came across it in a Facebook discussion yesterday:

Edit: nevermind, now it says the video is not available in my country :lol:

Unstrung wrote:
ya it am bast

Rampage wrote:
When life hands you distortion, fuck everything else.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:47 pm
Hall of Fame Member

I listened to the album yesterday. It’s pretty good, I wouldn’t say sweep the Grammys kind of amazing but it’s cool.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 am
Hall of Fame Member

RaceU4her wrote:
I listened to the album yesterday. It’s pretty good, I wouldn’t say sweep the Grammys kind of amazing but it’s cool.

Felt that way too the first few listens. Then i checked out her old shit and singles and came back to it and it hit me hard. For me... it's all good. The old shit hits differently as she was 13-15 when she was doing that shit, but it's still great stuff.

I can't nail down exactly what it is i like about her shit. I think the lyrics are generally amazing and witty. I love the production. Her style of singing amazes me, while it bores some people. I've always been a sucker for a good female singer though.

Helix Floor

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am
Hall of Fame Member

I wish she was as hot as her voice....... :cry:

Can somebody please explain to me how she walked around the room?

Projectors changing the orientation of the room 90 degrees every few minutes?

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:21 pm
Hall of Fame Member

long standing member wrote:
I wish she was as hot as her voice....... :cry:

Can somebody please explain to me how she walked around the room?

Projectors changing the orientation of the room 90 degrees every few minutes?

Helix Floor

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:53 pm
Hall of Fame Member

BroSlinger wrote:
Kind of blows up the rest of the awards and makes me assume it’s all a popularity contest.

That is why I stopped paying attention to the Grammy's decades ago. It's not about substance at all, and that become more and more obvious with each passing year.

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next