Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Scully mastering deck! 
Hall of Fame Member

Scully 280D From a studio on Long Island used for medical instructional movies. Guy retired years ago and sons are just now unloading his equipment. This one is a half track mastering deck Sounds great and has an amazing transport setup. Also looks to be very easy to work on if needed. Nice deck that I would have never even given a second look due to its size. This beast is the special order one that can take 14" reels. Those ten-1/2"ers look like 7"-ers on a ten" deck! The console itself is also in excellent condition. The transport flips up and the Preamps slide out of their drawers easily. Nice! Also got a ten pack box of Ampex 456 10" reels that the carton hasn't even been opened! and three 10" ampex 456 tapes still in their plastic wrappers for $25.00. In my experience these 456's need to be baked even if they are NOS so they go into my fruit dehydrator before seeing a deck and this always seems to perfect these old tapes. I do love 456 tape too.
I believe that ELP' producer sound engineer Eddie Offerd used these also Muscle Shoals (Skynyed, Stones, Allman Bros ect.) and Hendrix and Stevie wonder in Electric Ladyland Studios.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:11 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Cool. Are you building a studio? What’s that thing weigh ? 800 lbs ? :D

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 am
Hall of Fame Member

nice..... my production company just had our latest compilation album mastered by a guy that bounces everything to 2 track tape, masters it then digitizes it again... my god what a difference the process made... the recordings came to life.... my band will be sending out EP to him shortly as well, looking forward to getting that back!

Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have a bunch of tape decks. I also have an Otari MTR-10 two track Mastering deck
that was in a studio in Manhattan that was used to master albums by B.B. King, Leon Redbone,
Leon Russel, Dr. John. Rikki (sic)? Lee Jones, Lena Horne and many of the albums we all grew up listening to.
The previous owners bought it new in the early days of their studio which still exists to this day.
When a lot of the small to medium studios in NYC started to switch over to digital sound and build glitzy
recording and sound control rooms they resisted for years and their clients stayed with them because they loved their "old" rooms
and the sound they got there. Meanwhile a lot of the "glitz" studios of the 1980's went under while they survived.
As time went by and digital became standard they finally moved on to it as a primary production source.
That old Otari tape deck was used occasionally for doing forensic restorations for the FBI and NYPD.
It was therefore kept in perfect order and not allowed to fall into disrepair. My theory is that the owner bumped his knee on
for the last time and sold it off as they only occasionally needed to roll it out of its storage room and use it.
And yes tape is a great medium but that otari is so high quality that there's no real differentiation from that thing and
a pro tools session...…. Until you hit it really hard then the magic happens !

Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 am
Crystal Lettucer

SICK!

My Album For Sale!

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Congrats and HNSMDD!!! :party:

Check the tension arm... after years of use, the moving tape actually sharpened the tension arm guide on my Otari MX5050BII. The sharpened guide started shaving off iron oxide from the tape and deposited it in a small pile under the tension arm, every time I hit play.
I had to hand file it smooth.

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Last edited by ajaxlepinski on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 am
Crystal Lettucer

Wow. Been some quality recording/mixing gear popping over the forum lately. Holy shit.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]