Guitar Gear Forum
https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/

I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free DAWs
https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45749
Page 4 of 5

Author:  ZEEGLER [ Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

I've been using Acid Studio (too cheap to buy the full Acid Pro) and really don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I also got Traktion free with my Mackie mixer, but I've only opened it up one time, had a brief look and said:
Image

At the recommendation of you guys, I'm going to download Reaper, and see how frustrated I get.

Author:  Steinmetzify [ Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Resistance is futile. We will assimilate you.

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

Author:  JiveTurkey [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Awwwwwwl yeah

Author:  exafro [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

GuitarBilly wrote:
exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

:lol: Sorry, came across as kinda a dick. Totally guilty though. I can't wait for Reaper Ultra XL II.

Edit: People were asking about splitting tracks. You can split tracks by hitting S, (hit the magnet looking thing to disable the Snap to Grid.) Copy and Paste are Ctrl-C and Ctrl- V, just like the Windows commands. The hieroglyphics(fucking lol) are actually pretty useful.

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

exafro wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

:lol: Sorry, came across as kinda a dick. Totally guilty though. I can't wait for Reaper Ultra XL II.

Edit: People were asking about splitting tracks. You can split tracks by hitting S, (hit the magnet looking thing to disable the Snap to Grid.) Copy and Paste are Ctrl-C and Ctrl- V, just like the Windows commands. The hieroglyphics(fucking lol) are actually pretty useful.


How do you route the hardware outputs so that you can send the audio from a virtual instrument from an interface output and jumper it back into one of the interface inputs to live record into wav. file?

I've tried, and failed.

Author:  ajaxlepinski [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
exafro wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

:lol: Sorry, came across as kinda a dick. Totally guilty though. I can't wait for Reaper Ultra XL II.

Edit: People were asking about splitting tracks. You can split tracks by hitting S, (hit the magnet looking thing to disable the Snap to Grid.) Copy and Paste are Ctrl-C and Ctrl- V, just like the Windows commands. The hieroglyphics(fucking lol) are actually pretty useful.


How do you route the hardware outputs so that you can send the audio from a virtual instrument from an interface output and jumper it back into one of the interface inputs to live record into wav. file?

I've tried, and failed.


It sounds like you want to record an onboard synth (or guitar sim) tone instead of midi date (or a dry guitar).
If this is what you want to do, create Audio Ttrack 1 as usual. Then, create an Aux Send Fader and a new Audio Track 2. Send the Audio Track 1 to the Aux Send Fader and set the input on the Audio Track 2 to receive from the Aux Send. Hit Record on the Audio Track 2. This will record the actual synth sounds (or guitar sim) to the Audio Track 2.

EDIT: this is how I do it on ProTools 10... hope it helps!

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

ajaxlepinski wrote:
Ostinato Rubato wrote:
exafro wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

:lol: Sorry, came across as kinda a dick. Totally guilty though. I can't wait for Reaper Ultra XL II.

Edit: People were asking about splitting tracks. You can split tracks by hitting S, (hit the magnet looking thing to disable the Snap to Grid.) Copy and Paste are Ctrl-C and Ctrl- V, just like the Windows commands. The hieroglyphics(fucking lol) are actually pretty useful.


How do you route the hardware outputs so that you can send the audio from a virtual instrument from an interface output and jumper it back into one of the interface inputs to live record into wav. file?

I've tried, and failed.


It sounds like you want to record an onboard synth (or guitar sim) tone instead of midi date (or a dry guitar).
If this is what you want to do, create Audio Ttrack 1 as usual. Then, create an Aux Send Fader and a new Audio Track 2. Send the Audio Track 1 to the Aux Send Fader and set the input on the Audio Track 2 to receive from the Aux Send. Hit Record on the Audio Track 2. This will record the actual synth sounds (or guitar sim) to the Audio Track 2.


Ugh. Reaper'd.

On Sonar: record the MIDI, right click on the track, "convert to wav" . Done.

Author:  JiveTurkey [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Image
Obviously you would click the sideways horseshoe, then break the grey chain before clicking the green harddrive. Duh.

Author:  TurboPablo [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Tone is in the hieroglyphics. Deal with it.

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

GuitarBilly wrote:
ajaxlepinski wrote:
Ostinato Rubato wrote:
exafro wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:
exafro wrote:
Looks like we have a few whiny geriatrics in here. Reaper is fine, do guys have problems with computers in general?


Apparently, they're serving Fractal Kool Aid at the Reaper's cafeteria.

:lol: Sorry, came across as kinda a dick. Totally guilty though. I can't wait for Reaper Ultra XL II.

Edit: People were asking about splitting tracks. You can split tracks by hitting S, (hit the magnet looking thing to disable the Snap to Grid.) Copy and Paste are Ctrl-C and Ctrl- V, just like the Windows commands. The hieroglyphics(fucking lol) are actually pretty useful.


How do you route the hardware outputs so that you can send the audio from a virtual instrument from an interface output and jumper it back into one of the interface inputs to live record into wav. file?

I've tried, and failed.


It sounds like you want to record an onboard synth (or guitar sim) tone instead of midi date (or a dry guitar).
If this is what you want to do, create Audio Ttrack 1 as usual. Then, create an Aux Send Fader and a new Audio Track 2. Send the Audio Track 1 to the Aux Send Fader and set the input on the Audio Track 2 to receive from the Aux Send. Hit Record on the Audio Track 2. This will record the actual synth sounds (or guitar sim) to the Audio Track 2.


Ugh. Reaper'd.

On Sonar: record the MIDI, right click on the track, "convert to wav" . Done.


There's a render to wav function but I noticed a SIGNIFICANT drop in audio quality when I used it. Very different than how it renders a whole project when there's softsynths. I don't understand why and have tried to figure out how to have the live audio be "recorded" instead of rendered.

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

do you know where there is no difference in audio quality?


Sonar.

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

GuitarBilly wrote:
do you know where there is no difference in audio quality?


Sonar.


I'll be moving to Abelton Live 10 in a couple of months. Hopefully it doesn't have that same issue. Meanwhile though I want to try to figure it out on Reaper cause I'm giving that computer to my kids and they've already been learning their way around on it.

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

that's a good idea. So whenever you want a few hours alone with your wife you can just tell your kids to go figure out something simple on Reaper. Should buy you a whole evening.

Author:  clipless bumper [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

GuitarBilly wrote:
that's a good idea. So whenever you want a few hours alone with your wife you can just tell your kids to go figure out something simple on Reaper. Should buy you a whole evening.



:lol:

sounds like 5 minutes and a broken computer!

:lol:

Author:  Zozobra [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Stuff like that is done in the routing matrix. You could do a post FX pre fader hardware send too.

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Zozobra wrote:
Stuff like that is done in the routing matrix. You could do a post FX pre fader hardware send too.


I'll take a look at how the hardware send is set up. But why would pre-fader matter?

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

there's a routing matrix!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I haven't had this much fun since Fractal Battery day on HCAF

Author:  Zozobra [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

It doesn't make a great shit of difference as you can set the level in the send but I assume you'd want to do the mixing on the effected track and have the virtual instrument muted in the mix?

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

:idea:

Author:  Ostinato Rubato [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

GuitarBilly wrote:
there's a routing matrix!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I haven't had this much fun since Fractal Battery day on HCAF


The routing matrix is apparently one of the features that people really like about Reaper...


... that I should learn to use. :lol:

Author:  Zozobra [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Tbh I never have to use it :lol:

Author:  newholland [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

sheeit. it's a virtual patch bay. it's kinda awesome.

i lay out all my gozintas and gozoutas in like 2 minutes. :lol:

you guys gotta read the manual! :lol:

Author:  GuitarBilly [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

I remember one day I was recording and wondered how much easier my life would be if I only had a routing matrix.

oh wait, that never happened. nvm

Author:  Zozobra [ Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: I could search - but looking for quick opinions - free D

Power users only.

Page 4 of 5 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/