Reply to topic  [ 5557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 223  Next
Official Rate The Last Movie You Saw Thread 
Author Message
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Been on a movie replay kick as of late. Scorcese stuff and other stuff I've seen. Watched Goodfellas for the 50 zillionth time last night (which, despite how good the Irishman may be; is the mob movie). Was on a Gylenhall (sp?) kick and watched Nightcrawler a few nights back. Excellent flick with Jake playing quirky to his strengths. Also watched a movie with him about the Boston marathon bombings called Stronger that I hadn't seen. Great flick. Going to dig up Prisoners with Gylenhall and Hugh Jackman next. That was a dark one.

Too bad about Motherless Brooklyn. I wanted to see it because Edward Norton and the rest of the cast looked like it would be a good one. Oh well.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:58 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 am
Posts: 9563
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Nightcrawler was excellent..... it was so fucked up and disturbing and Gyllenhaal killed it.


Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:33 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am
Posts: 9126
Location: Corn field in Indiana
Angel of Mine 7.5/10 Noomi Rapace is a kickass actress

_________________
I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.’
-Gwyneth Paltrow


Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Started Color Out of Space last night. Nic Cage movie based on a Lovecraft story. Trippy cover art and definitely coattailing on Mandy (and Cage's whacked out performance in said film) in a number of ways from my perspective. I made it through half of it and it is not Mandy in the slightest. Sort of a weird early 2000's kid film vibe (oddly enough) with sprinkles of adult-ness reminding you it is, in fact, an R rated horror film. I'll probably finish but was not nearly as impressed as what I thought I would be.


EDITED. Finished up. First 50 minutes was not impressive. Last half was one of the most gonzo'd out, trippy as fuck things I've seen. Cage is in full swing nutso mode during the second half. Give it a go if you're bored and have the patience to hang on for a bit.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:34 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am
Posts: 9126
Location: Corn field in Indiana
The Drowning 7/10

_________________
I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.’
-Gwyneth Paltrow


Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:44 am
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Parasite. South Korean film about a family of grifters that gets their claws dug into an upper class family and the differences between the 2 classes. Awesome flick that deserves all the hype it's getting. Directed by the same director who did the Host, Mother and Memories of a Murder. Great sense of humor and great across the board.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 1306
Marc G wrote:
Nightcrawler was excellent..... it was so fucked up and disturbing and Gyllenhaal killed it.

shit, I just watched the trailer and got major league creeped out by Gyllenhaal.
Not sure I can watch it........

_________________
After Tuesday, even the calendar goes WTF!


Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 3658
Location: Rochester, NY
JiveTurkey wrote:
Parasite. South Korean film about a family of grifters that gets their claws dug into an upper class family and the differences between the 2 classes. Awesome flick that deserves all the hype it's getting. Directed by the same director who did the Host, Mother and Memories of a Murder. Great sense of humor and great across the board.


Yup. It's a good one

Color Out of Space: Lovecraft story. It's good. Cage's style is perfect for this role. Some annoying stuff story-wise, but not worth complaining about.

Underwater: 1/10 Awful. terrible. That girl who looks like a 9 year old boy is in it. She actually isn't bad in it, but the script and story can't save anything. I gave a point for decent cinematography

_________________
My Tech Grind'ish band, Sulaco
My "I dont know how to describe it" band, CHRMR
My old instrumental prog band, BML
My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand


Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 pm
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
atrox wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
Parasite. South Korean film about a family of grifters that gets their claws dug into an upper class family and the differences between the 2 classes. Awesome flick that deserves all the hype it's getting. Directed by the same director who did the Host, Mother and Memories of a Murder. Great sense of humor and great across the board.


Yup. It's a good one

Color Out of Space: Lovecraft story. It's good. Cage's style is perfect for this role. Some annoying stuff story-wise, but not worth complaining about.

Underwater: 1/10 Awful. terrible. That girl who looks like a 9 year old boy is in it. She actually isn't bad in it, but the script and story can't save anything. I gave a point for decent cinematography

:lol:

We agree on a lot of things movie-wise, yet there is always a divergence :eek: :D

I LOATHE Kristin Stewart. JFC make a facial expression other than frowning for ONCE IN YOUR ACTING LIFE :bang:

Anyways; I still wanted to see Underwater :lol: Because I dig monster movies. And anything that looks like a mashup of Alien/Deep Blue Sea and Deep Rising; I am all in for. Stewart was actually fine in it. If anything; TJ MIller needed to die much quicker as he was super irritating and the film did not need really any sort of "comic relief" let alone "comic relief" that had horrible timing and was done with an irritating lifelong smoker's voice that that dude has :mad:

You need something to put the characters in peril, something to keep them going to sustain a movie and some sort of resolution at the end. Good or bad. They succeeded in all those, for me. Mostly. My biggest gripe shouldn't actually be one if you take common sense and how it actually would be if this happened in real life; but I don't care. The whole one step above found footage diver cam thing drove me nuts. I am glad I didn't attempt to watch this in any other manner because I couldn't see sh!t on a high def movie theater screen, let alone attempt to watch it at home. Wayyyyyyy too murky looking for me. I'd give it a 5/10. And that is a 5 that is low but generous. I enjoyed it enough and more than I expected given my usual hatred of anything Stewart does.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 3658
Location: Rochester, NY
JiveTurkey wrote:
atrox wrote:
JiveTurkey wrote:
Parasite. South Korean film about a family of grifters that gets their claws dug into an upper class family and the differences between the 2 classes. Awesome flick that deserves all the hype it's getting. Directed by the same director who did the Host, Mother and Memories of a Murder. Great sense of humor and great across the board.


Yup. It's a good one

Color Out of Space: Lovecraft story. It's good. Cage's style is perfect for this role. Some annoying stuff story-wise, but not worth complaining about.

Underwater: 1/10 Awful. terrible. That girl who looks like a 9 year old boy is in it. She actually isn't bad in it, but the script and story can't save anything. I gave a point for decent cinematography

:lol:

We agree on a lot of things movie-wise, yet there is always a divergence :eek: :D

I LOATHE Kristin Stewart. JFC make a facial expression other than frowning for ONCE IN YOUR ACTING LIFE :bang:

Anyways; I still wanted to see Underwater :lol: Because I dig monster movies. And anything that looks like a mashup of Alien/Deep Blue Sea and Deep Rising; I am all in for. Stewart was actually fine in it. If anything; TJ MIller needed to die much quicker as he was super irritating and the film did not need really any sort of "comic relief" let alone "comic relief" that had horrible timing and was done with an irritating lifelong smoker's voice that that dude has :mad:

You need something to put the characters in peril, something to keep them going to sustain a movie and some sort of resolution at the end. Good or bad. They succeeded in all those, for me. Mostly. My biggest gripe shouldn't actually be one if you take common sense and how it actually would be if this happened in real life; but I don't care. The whole one step above found footage diver cam thing drove me nuts. I am glad I didn't attempt to watch this in any other manner because I couldn't see sh!t on a high def movie theater screen, let alone attempt to watch it at home. Wayyyyyyy too murky looking for me. I'd give it a 5/10. And that is a 5 that is low but generous. I enjoyed it enough and more than I expected given my usual hatred of anything Stewart does.


See... I despise her as well as an actress, but i pretty much like everything she has been in (That i've seen) despite her presence and one dimensional acting. Full Disclosure. She was recently on Howard Stern and presented herself as a real, quite chatty human and was very relatable. I actually really liked her as a person. She just sucks terribly as an actress. She had zero of that awkwardness and was quite candid.

Yeah. TJ Miller should only be on Silicon Valley. Bad choice for this movie. The monster was cool and i liked that they just got immediately into the shit. Literally 4 minutes into the movie... shit's exploding. It was too hard of a Lovecraftian wannabe for me though. Most movies/shows that do that at least give a real nod to the guy. This was just some dude/gal that was like... i wanna write something Lovecraftian, because it's "in" these days. I'll raise my score to a 3/10 for the creature and the "quick to get to the story"'ness of it all.

However, Color Out of Space is an actual Lovecraft story set in modern times. It's absurd, pretty, and over-acted just right to be great. That said... it's taken so long for Hollywood to put out an actual Lovecraft story and I'm not sure if this is the right one to introduce Millennial's and Gen Z'ers to Lovecraft. The story doesn't put it's answers out there for you. You have to interpret it and work at it. PERFECT for me, but most people will just find it confusing and odd. Especially the stuff that is only mentioned and then never mentioned again.

_________________
My Tech Grind'ish band, Sulaco
My "I dont know how to describe it" band, CHRMR
My old instrumental prog band, BML
My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand


Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:21 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am
Posts: 9126
Location: Corn field in Indiana
The Last Full Measure 9.5/10

_________________
I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.’
-Gwyneth Paltrow


Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 am
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
I'll have to check that Stern interview. The monster was killer. I never read any Lovecraft. It was one of those things where I saw movies based on his stuff and listened to metal when I was growing up based on his stuff but the writing never grabbed me. I think I tried a few times and it just wasn't my thing.

They definitely did not waste a second getting going. That impressed me a lot. It's exactly how I want a movie like this to go. Vincent Cassel (sp?) was great in it. I dig him in pretty much anything he is in.

Color Out of Space was odd. Like I said up top; that first half was just weird tone for me. Seriously like some oddball early 2000's kid's movie with odd flashes of adult content here and there. Once it got going, though; HOLY F**K. So so gonzo and I loved it. The Thing worship was in fully display and I LOVED that as well. The second half for me took it from a 4-5 tops out of 10 to an 8 I'd say. Just nuts.

The climactic scene in Parasite was actually insane as well :lol:

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:30 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 3658
Location: Rochester, NY
Pepi wrote:
The Last Full Measure 9.5/10


That looks good

_________________
My Tech Grind'ish band, Sulaco
My "I dont know how to describe it" band, CHRMR
My old instrumental prog band, BML
My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand


Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:31 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 3658
Location: Rochester, NY
JiveTurkey wrote:
I'll have to check that Stern interview. The monster was killer. I never read any Lovecraft. It was one of those things where I saw movies based on his stuff and listened to metal when I was growing up based on his stuff but the writing never grabbed me. I think I tried a few times and it just wasn't my thing.

They definitely did not waste a second getting going. That impressed me a lot. It's exactly how I want a movie like this to go. Vincent Cassel (sp?) was great in it. I dig him in pretty much anything he is in.

Color Out of Space was odd. Like I said up top; that first half was just weird tone for me. Seriously like some oddball early 2000's kid's movie with odd flashes of adult content here and there. Once it got going, though; HOLY F**K. So so gonzo and I loved it. The Thing worship was in fully display and I LOVED that as well. The second half for me took it from a 4-5 tops out of 10 to an 8 I'd say. Just nuts.

The climactic scene in Parasite was actually insane as well :lol:



Oops. Didn't see your Color review. My Bad.

Witchcraft is a Lovecraft theme. That and ancient beings and all that. I can't sit and read a Lovecraft story either. They seem almost clinical for lack of a better description, but i love his stories, so i have done it. I love his worlds.

The first half of Color did seem how you described, but still on par with the way it should have gone I think. I get it though. A angsty goth teen girl performing witchy chants and shit, handsome scientist comes into the picture. Tommy Chong being Tommy Chong and the very presence of Nicholas Cage screams typical late 90's writing. It's just a coincidence though really. The Family had to be seen as a normal type family, living in slight isolation, falling very slowly into an awkward madness. The catch is, in a 90's horror film, that Goth girl would have conjured all that or at least she would have thought she did... or would somehow, without explanation, know exactly what is happening and would be enjoying it all. That didn't happen. She was more confused than anyone really. They were all confused. There were no answers. THAT is the difference.

_________________
My Tech Grind'ish band, Sulaco
My "I dont know how to describe it" band, CHRMR
My old instrumental prog band, BML
My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand


Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:46 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 pm
Posts: 9188
Have you guys seen Annihilation? I is actually a really cool version of Color Out of Space.


Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 3658
Location: Rochester, NY
Yarbicus wrote:
Have you guys seen Annihilation? I is actually a really cool version of Color Out of Space.


Yes. Very good interpretation. Especially the lighthouse stuff.

_________________
My Tech Grind'ish band, Sulaco
My "I dont know how to describe it" band, CHRMR
My old instrumental prog band, BML
My metal band, Contrarian

Buy my Signature Mason BG Hellabucker

Friedman BE100 :shake:
Helix Floor

Happily endorsed by ESP Guitars and BG Pickups
Also, lot's of Charvel's and Fender's on hand


Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 pm
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Yarbicus wrote:
Have you guys seen Annihilation? I is actually a really cool version of Color Out of Space.

I have. I enjoyed it as well. The director of Color Out of is supposedly doing his take on The Dunwich Horror as well.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 2283
I watched Eddie Murphy's new movie "Dolemite Is My Name" on Netflix and loved it. Eddie is still a talented comedic actor. I though the movie was great but I'm a big Rudy Ray Moore/Dolemite fan, so my opinion might be a little slanted.

The cast is really good, especially Wesley Snipes, who killed it in his supporting role.

It was a fun watch for me but those who aren't familiar with the original Dolemite character might not like it so much. I'll give it a solid 3.5 since it might not appeal to a wide audience.


Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 13976
Creed 2. 8.5/10. I would probably watch it again. Stallone and Lundgren were great. Mike B Jordan, his Mom, and his girlfriend were great too. It's a tried and true formula that works. Viktor Drago was the weak spot, acting wise, but that's to be expected from a villain in a Rocky movie.

All that said, Ivan Drago was the most interesting character. It's a full circle arc that harkens back to Rocky's trainer saying, "He's NOT a machine. He's a MAN!" Ivan is a broken man. When he tells his son, "it's okay", I kind of lost it. He's not going to walk out on his son like Bridgette and the rest of Russian walked out on both of them. It was a touching Dad moment for me.

Adonis at his Dad's grave kind of hit me hard too since my Mom never met her granddaughter.

The final fight was intense! I like this movie the more I talk about it.

_________________
POWERFUL MIDCUT CONTROL

My Album For Sale!


Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
BroSlinger wrote:
Creed 2. 8.5/10. I would probably watch it again. Stallone and Lundgren were great. Mike B Jordan, his Mom, and his girlfriend were great too. It's a tried and true formula that works. Viktor Drago was the weak spot, acting wise, but that's to be expected from a villain in a Rocky movie.

All that said, Ivan Drago was the most interesting character. It's a full circle arc that harkens back to Rocky's trainer saying, "He's NOT a machine. He's a MAN!" Ivan is a broken man. When he tells his son, "it's okay", I kind of lost it. He's not going to walk out on his son like Bridgette and the rest of Russian walked out on both of them. It was a touching Dad moment for me.

Adonis at his Dad's grave kind of hit me hard too since my Mom never met her granddaughter.

The final fight was intense! I like this movie the more I talk about it.

I've wanted to watch this a number of times but can't get anyone else in the house to agree with me :lol:

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am
Profile
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 pm
Posts: 10949
Location: Surrounded by Mormons
In The Tall Grass 5/10

Leave it to Stephen King to make a field scary; this was well done enough that I didn’t shut it off, but it suffers from every SK film adaptation. SK is (or used to be) a master at outlining broad strokes and letting you fill in blanks with shit that terrifies you and the films can’t do that.

Wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. Watch it nothing else is on or you don’t feel like clicking thru 54 other films trying to find something to watch.


Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Steinmetzify wrote:
In The Tall Grass 5/10

Leave it to Stephen King to make a field scary; this was well done enough that I didn’t shut it off, but it suffers from every SK film adaptation. SK is (or used to be) a master at outlining broad strokes and letting you fill in blanks with shit that terrifies you and the films can’t do that.

Wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. Watch it nothing else is on or you don’t feel like clicking thru 54 other films trying to find something to watch.

100% true. The struggle is real :lol:

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am
Posts: 9126
Location: Corn field in Indiana
The Upside. 8/10. LMAO Kevin Hart

_________________
I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.’
-Gwyneth Paltrow


Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am
Posts: 9126
Location: Corn field in Indiana
Mute Fucking weird/10

_________________
I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.’
-Gwyneth Paltrow


Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:30 am
Profile
Online
Crystal Lettucer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:49 pm
Posts: 17593
Location: Trumpets and 2x12s
Pepi wrote:
The Upside. 8/10. LMAO Kevin Hart

I liked this a lot. Not edgy or groundbreaking or anything but just good story with some good performances.

Watched 1917 this afternoon. Excellent film.

_________________
Trumpets and Tants


Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 223  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrunchBerries, grooveHT, mortatone and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group