Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
I showed a 17 year old the world of "gear" 
Hall of Fame Member

My good friend from work's son has been playing acoustic for less than a year and has been making great leaps in skill, according to her. I remember my first summer of playing acoustic with all that free time and getting good, fast. He has the lockdown :(

He's a very nice kid and the lock down has him seriously fucked up from a social aspect. He just feels so awkward without a normal high school routine and not seeing his friends and stuff. His mom said guitar made him happy for the first time in months

She wants to buy him an electric and asked me what should be his first guitar and she showed me a Mexican HSS that he had his eye on. I said "Send him over to me. I have guitar center in my basement and none of the sales shtick. We'll find out what he likes and I'll steer him in the right direction."

I'm not teaching him any guitar because that's not my strong suit. What is? Gear. :lol: He knows nothing about electrics other than the name of the Trinity (strat, tele, LP). I had to explain to him the difference between single coils and humbuckers, what the switch positions correlate to what pick ups are activated, out of phase sound vs. 1 pick up, etc. It was really fun watching his eyes light up as things made sense to what he was hearing and what guitar he was using. I kept it pretty basic but let him know there is too much to know and he should ask me as the questions come rather than listening to me do a lecture.

Afterwards he said "Dude, I've been looking for someone like you. All my friends are lame.". I just told him that I've been through all the guitar bullshit of learning what does what but I had to learn through the internet and buying too much shit. I figured it would be cool for a newbie to have someone guide them through the beginnings of gear and steering them clear of pot holes and salesmen.

Tl/dr; all my worthless gear knowledge helped someone, today.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:59 am
Hall of Fame Member

Well done you, it's great when you find one that actually listens, fair play :hi5:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:02 am
Hall of Fame Member

Good Guy Ryan to the rescue... lol

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:05 am
Hall of Fame Member

Marc G wrote:
Good Guy Ryan to the rescue... lol

I like being useful and not just a financial drain on my wife and I :lol:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:07 am
Crystal Lettucer

Good on you Ryan!

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:30 am
Crystal Lettucer

good time to start , I started at 16 and I still can't wait to dive into it even after all these years . Teach him right , start with Iron Maiden , then on to Priest , Tallica , Dio , Zep & Jimi of course.. Sabbath you know. \m/\m/

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

"Stand up for what you believe in even if you are standing alone"
― Sophie Scholl

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:16 am
Hall of Fame Member

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am
Hall of Fame Member

I have 3 kids, 1 girl and 2 boys aged 19, 16 & 12 (about to be 13) respectfully with a fully loaded 20x20 jam room, not one of them is even remotely interested in playing music, kind of makes me sad.

Can you share him with me?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 am
Chief Executive Owl

well done. Now tell him to sign up here so we can finish ruining all his chances of ever having any savings :lol:

Gibson Les Paul Raw Power
Gibson SG Special
Gibson Les Paul Studio P90
Gibson SG 90
Jackson SL1 Soloist USA
Jackson SLX Soloist
Kramer Pacer Classic
Ibanez Artcore
Ibanez RG
Fender Strat
Endres Tele
Yamaha FX800C

Amps:
Laney IRT Studio
Laney IRT 1x12 cab
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 MLB
Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects:
Boss MS-3
Tech 21 British
Tech 21 Blonde

Rack 1:
ENGL E530
Peavey Classic 120
TC G Major 2

Rack 2:
ENGL E530
Digitech GSP1101

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum: admin@guitargearforum.com

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:
well done. Now tell him to sign up here so we can finish ruining all his chances of ever having any savings :lol:

:lol: :lol: The singer/rhythm guitarist in my band brought his neighbor who has just started learning guitar to our first jam since COVID19 lockdowns started... so Paul introduces me to the kid and tells me he's learning guitar and wanted to see how the band practices etc, so I ask the kid so you like the guitar? he says yeah...a lot.... I look him in the eye and say "well, be prepared to be broke AF for the rest of your life" :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:46 am
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Yeah man! I wish I had a Ryan when I was 17!!! :lol:

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm
Hall of Fame Member

GuitarBilly wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't want word getting back to his mother about what I say on the internet. He's not ready for us, nor are his pockets deep.

Ajax, I basically said "I'm going to be who I wish I met when I was 17 for guitar gear".

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:31 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Marc G wrote:
GuitarBilly wrote:

:lol: :lol: The singer/rhythm guitarist in my band brought his neighbor who has just started learning guitar to our first jam since COVID19 lockdowns started... so Paul introduces me to the kid and tells me he's learning guitar and wanted to see how the band practices etc, so I ask the kid so you like the guitar? he says yeah...a lot.... I look him in the eye and say "well, be prepared to be broke AF for the rest of your life" :lol: :lol:

Cut your palm, circle yourself in blood, and apply for sweet water credit.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
RyanDistortion wrote:

Ajax, I basically said "I'm going to be who I wish I met when I was 17 for guitar gear".

Right on! You're a good man, Ryan!!! :thu:

1969 Sunn Solarus ● 2x 1980's Randall RG-80 ● 2013 Hi-Tone HT103-DG (Best Rig 2014) ● 2015 Mortatone 12/15 Cab w/EV SRO's ● 2017 Jubilee ● 2019 Ceriatone Model Tee ● 2019 Randall Diavlo ● 2020 VHT D50 Dumble Clone
Walt wrote:
But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:37 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Better get my extra gear on Ebay

Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Good on you Ryan. If nothing else, you have a kid who thinks you are not lame, and that is tough for any of us geezers to say, lol.

If I had a Ryan when I was starting out... I would have saved myself alot of wasted time and money. I remember reading about rigs like what I have now when I was just starting out, but I certainly took the long road to get here. :idk:

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:59 pm
Hall of Fame Member

itchyfingers wrote:
Good on you Ryan. If nothing else, you have a kid who thinks you are not lame, and that is tough for any of us geezers to say, lol.

If I had a Ryan when I was starting out... I would have saved myself alot of wasted time and money. I remember reading about rigs like what I have now when I was just starting out, but I certainly took the long road to get here. :idk:

Yeah, man. If nothing else, he can borrow a guitar of mine to scratch an inevitable itch. Ha...itch. Then, he wouldn't be buying a selling like us idiots over and over.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]