Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
My Department Got Outsourced Today 
Hall of Fame Member

It finally happened to my department. When Altice bought us out a couple years back we went from 6 call centers to 2. And now they have almost entirely outsourced their tech support department. Only one tech department remains in house and the rest of them are all outsourced. My final day with the company will be early January.

The silver lining is that we have been offered positions with the outsourced company so we aren't entirely in the dust. But still, it sucks when the company you gave your 20s to outsources your department. It seems that no one inside my building was aware judging by the look on the director/vps faces when they were breaking the news.

Hits really hard with the wife and I thinking about a house next year and having just bought the new car. Fingers crossed things work out for us. Time to tighten the belts I suppose.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 pm
Crystal Lettucer

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco & Debbie Gibson
Man, that really sucks... especially after 20 years.

I worked 24 years for a company that manufactured commercial lithographic printing ink. Started on the bottom and worked my way up to a position just below the owner.
Computer printers, digital printing, the internet, excessive competition and print shops going under, eventually put us out of business.
Now, I'm in a different line of work but, newer technology is putting the squeeze on, once again.
I'm 58 and starting over again is not a pretty concept.

Glad to hear they are offering you a new position instead of just slamming the door. Hopefully, they'll keep you at the same pay grade with potential for advancement?

Big corporations are typically tight lipped about shut downs... they don't really know if deals will go through until the last minute and they don't want anyone jumping ship unless it benefits them.

Good luck!

But when the hour is nigh, and the lights are low, and I got a little toothpick of a shwag joint in my teeth, and my friends want to hear me play "Into the Void", or "TNT", "or "Cemetery Gates"...I plug my 600 dollar guitar into my 150 dollar amp, and I am a Rawk gawd.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Kardula wrote:
It finally happened to my department. When Altice bought us out a couple years back we went from 6 call centers to 2. And now they have almost entirely outsourced their tech support department. Only one tech department remains in house and the rest of them are all outsourced. My final day with the company will be early January.

The silver lining is that we have been offered positions with the outsourced company so we aren't entirely in the dust. But still, it sucks when the company you gave your 20s to outsources your department. It seems that no one inside my building was aware judging by the look on the director/vps faces when they were breaking the news.

Hits really hard with the wife and I thinking about a house next year and having just bought the new car. Fingers crossed things work out for us. Time to tighten the belts I suppose.

Fuck Altice in the ass. That piece of shit company is the worst thing that crossed the Atlantic since small pox. I got the fuck out a year ago, dude.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:35 am
Crystal Lettucer

Does that mean some very pleasant folks in India will be taking calls now ?

“I cannot be arsed with this right now”
― MISTER NOBODY™

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 am
Hall of Fame Member

This new world means that working hard all your life means nothing now because technology will come and make you obsolete.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:03 am
Hall of Fame Member

well damn... sucks you've put so many years in to have this happen... on the bright side at least you weren't left totally high and dry which is better than many people in your situation..

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:10 am
Hall of Fame Member

Its happening all over. we are wondering when the same thing happens to us.
I am currently looking at things I can do for myself business wise

Spam zero at the mo

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 am
Crystal Lettucer

That’s rough mang. Bummer 5000.

But the labor market is short on sharp talent right now seeing as how most have a job. You’re probably a hiring manager’s dream at the moment. Go find your new HR boo, fling some leg, and land that new role from the casting couch hommie. :thu:

CFH > SupaTrem 1 > OCD v2 > Alter Ego x4

Loop wrote:
Also, I hate to bring this to light considering there are some feelings in this thread, but you misspelled "disappointed".

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:23 am
Crystal Lettucer

Ostinato Rubato wrote:
That’s rough mang. Bummer 5000.

But the labor market is short on sharp talent right now seeing as how most have a job. You’re probably a hiring manager’s dream at the moment. Go find your new HR boo, fling some leg, and land that new role from the casting couch hommie. :thu:

This^^^^

The job market is tight as a drum right now. If you are the real deal, you'll find something. Just start getting ready, like, yesterday.

Fuck yeah sounds bad ass to me!!! You really need a trashy rock band dude. This shit is glorious. I would totes chug whiskey and punch somebodies girlfriend in the front of row of this show. Zero fucks! :lol:

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 am
Hall of Fame Member

Sorry to hear about that, Kardula. That's actually pretty cool that a) they're keeping you guys on board through the holidays, and b) you already have an offer from the outsourced company. And hell, nothing stopping you from looking elsewhere in the meantime. :idk:

I'm currently looking for a job, before I am out of a job. A colleague just told me that when looking to make a career change, expect 1 month of searching for every $10k of your salary. :eek:

jnurp wrote:
Probably the most metal pet ever.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am
Crystal Lettucer

Kardula wrote:

Damn! Mojo sent that the new sitch will at least have you breaking even and not taking a loss. I was in academia before ministry, so I only have an outsider's point of view, but my impression is that nothing is ever really secure in corporate America. :( Prayers going up, man.

Dave wrote:
Draelyc - can write a solid song, and play tasty leads despite his internal neurotic tendencies. Despite a million debates raging in his head over string guage, pickup height, Pete Townshend's sexual history, and pick material he makes his Shiva give up the goods. Plus his unplugged electric tone... well... it exists.

_______

MY REVERBNATION PAGE!

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Executive Owl

I'd take the position in the outsourced company, at least for now. That would keep you working while you search for something better.

Guitars: 1998 PRS McCarty, 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd edition 3 pickup, 2005 Gibon SG Special

Amps: EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, TC G Major 2.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum contact me at admin@guitargearforum.com

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for positives guys.

Yeah, i'm definitely moving to the new company, even with the severance offer, there's no upside to not going and only upsides to going. Even if I decide to leave later, I'm at least moving for the foreseeable future.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm
Hall of Fame Member

Very sorry my friend. It's not only today. In the early 80s I got laid off and there were NO job. I had two kids and a wife and ended up on FOODSTAMPS :cry: We almost lost our home also. Now that I look back on all of it... it was really a blessing what happened to me. Keep you head up and keep driving and it will happen for you :love: Just DON'T give up

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:03 am
Chief Executive Owl

Kardula wrote:

Yeah, i'm definitely moving to the new company, even with the severance offer, there's no upside to not going and only upsides to going. Even if I decide to leave later, I'm at least moving for the foreseeable future.

Good call. Also see if your current company can write you some kind of a letter stating they are transitioning your position to the new company as a part of restructuring or something. This would help you a lot if you want to buy a house next year since you can show job continuity and don't have to apply for a mortgage with just a few months on a "new" job. Trust me it makes a difference.

Guitars: 1998 PRS McCarty, 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic Ltd edition 3 pickup, 2005 Gibon SG Special

Amps: EVH 5150 III 50w 6L6, Marshall 1960A w greenbacks

Effects: Morley Bad Horsie, TC G Major 2.

Check out my band, The Lima Division at:
http://www.thelimadivision.com

For questions about the forum contact me at admin@guitargearforum.com

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Member

Kardula wrote:

If it's anything like the outsourcing stuff I've been involved with there is a huge downside. If you're anywhere halfway competent you will be doing all of the work still, but now you're just a contractor so they can and will shit on you even worse than they do when you're an employee. Now you'll just have a team of bobbleheads asking you stuff instead of the people directly asking you :cry: I would definitely look into if the company can weasel out giving you a severance package by "offering" you a position at the outsourcer. Cause it will probably NOT be worth it in the long run IMO. If you can, take a package and find something else, especially if you've been there a long time. At the very least you should talk to an employment lawyer and get an educated opinion on what your options are.

Maybe it's all on the up & up, but most likely they just want to dump salary and pay a bunch of H1Bs 2/3 of your rate to stumble their way though. It's a race to the bottom just like everything else these days. Sorry to shit on your optimism.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]